Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd December 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Does Advertising On Craigslist Work?

I just received an e-mail from a client of mine. She wanted to know if advertising on Craigslist works. Here is the exact e-mail I sent back to her verbatim:

"Yes, advertising on Craigslist works for some businesses - not all, but some. Would I use it to promote my business? No, but that's me.

So why wouldn't I use Craigslist to promote my business? Continue reading Does Advertising on Craigslist Work?

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 10th December 2009 at 02:00 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

Marketing on Craigslist works best for geographically localized products or services... since that's the way Craigslist works.

Craigslist can be a lot of work, since you have to keep putting up new ads as the old ones expire, put them separately in each city you want to list in, keep changing the wording, etc.

I have not found it to be worthwhile for my business either, but I know others for whom Craigslist has brought in a lot of good leads.

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 08:20 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeesCastro View Post
Craigslist can be a lot of work, since you have to keep putting up new ads as the old ones expire, put them separately in each city you want to list in, keep changing the wording, etc.
Besides its sleazy reputation, all the work involved just to keep your ads visible is also a huge negative in my book.

David Jackson

Old 4th December 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

Yes, I totally agree... the whole point of Craigslist is for advertising products or services in a certain place for a certain amount of time. Anything else, and you're just manipulating the purpose of the site...

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 01:41 PM   #5
MarkyMarkNC

I've found that constantly being on the first page is not always necessary, and may actually hurt you as it makes you look like a spammer. Most people on Craigslist use the search filters to more specifically find what they are looking for. Customers have contacted me almost a week after putting an ad up, when I was probably on page 10 or worse.

It doesn't work for everyone, but if it does, you can't beat the R.O.I. of advertising that is free.

MarkyMarkNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
[email protected]

Send a message via Yahoo to dana@gearheadz
Default Craigslist in Columbus Market

It is the devil. I have an auto shop and the auto services section is a JOKE, literally posters are attacking each other. I go in and find people that are looking for work to be done and I email them. If I post my ad up, every yokel doing work out of his backyard underneath the willow tree will flag my ad and then post ridiculous "anti" posts...

dana@gearheadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 01:22 PM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Like just about everything else in life, there's a high road and a low road. You ALWAYS win when you take the high road. In my opinion, CraigsList isn't what I would call the high road.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 02:40 PM   #8
BeInnovative

I have tried advertising on Craig's list and also have mixed feelings about it. It did not lead to any specific leads for me, but what I liked about it was that an old ad will come up in a google search. It's worth it to me for that.

I don't agree that it in itself is sleazy, but I do agree that there are many 'lowest common denominator' postings. But it also is a place that millions of people use, and features many legitimate postings as well.

If you write a professional ad and don't post it so often that you're spamming, I don't think you will look bad. But I wouldn't dedicate a huge amount of time to it.

Although on the sleazy point - I am selling personal training services and I tried to include in my copy that I focus on training for skiing and that I am a ski instructor. Craigslist blocked the ad because of the word Ski! Apparently it has some other connotation.

Elsbeth

Old 10th December 2009, 02:04 PM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeInnovative View Post
On the sleazy point - I am selling personal training services and I tried to include in my copy that I focus on training for skiing and that I am a ski instructor. Craigslist blocked the ad because of the word Ski! Apparently it has some other connotation.
Now that's interesting!

David Jackson

Old 12th December 2009, 06:00 PM   #10
MarkyMarkNC

Yes, Craigslist does seem to have a way of attracting more than its share of undesirable customers. A good way to avoid the bottom feeders, though, is to use your ad copy as a screening tool to dissuade those people from responding. With a little bit of work, and a whole lot of patience, it is not too hard to come up with an ad that attracts mainly people close to your desired customer base.

MarkyMarkNC is offline   Reply With Quote