Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Is Being On The First Page Of Search Engines Important?

If you're one of those individuals who discounts the importance of search engine optimization, you might want to rethink your position. Here's why:

A study of search user behavior in 2006 released by iProspect shows that 62% of search engine users selected a website from the first page of results. 28% of searchers clicked on results found on the second and third pages.

Those numbers are pretty compelling. Your thoughts?

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th August 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
PiperTax

Absolutely. In fact, if I Google something and don't find it on the first page, I'm far more likely to go back and revise my search than I am to actually click to page #2.

PiperTax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

According to my referrals, the 2nd and 3rd page is less than that personally.

To me the first page is important, and getting above the fold within the top few positions is where the true bang for your 'buck' is at. There is a big difference in number of referrals for popular keywords between 2 and 9. 10 can be good, and 11 can be better than 9 even I think some times.

My goal - first page, above the fold.

Here is an old copy of an eye tracking map. The colors show more eye movement in the red, etc areas and continues to be considerably less below the fold. If you look at the top center of the graphic, there is a tiny white bar graph with the color chart percentages. Red= 100%, Green=50%, Blue = less.

On the flipside of all that, I also tend to think that some of the visitors who do find you on the second or third page can be more qualified (i.e. convert better) - the reason being ... they are more serious and farther along in their buying process + comparing your site to the previous ones they have already viewed on the first page. I'm not saying anyone will sell more being on the second page, but I do tend to think the audience you get from those visitors is a bit different from those typical to the first few results (people browsing).

Old 8th August 2007, 08:00 PM   #4
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

It's important to be at the top. Possible customers and clients are those who will view your site and check what you can offer them. Best of all, this will help you of having good sales.

Old 9th August 2007, 02:15 AM   #5
WebDrops

I feel its absolutely important... according to the stats maximum number of the users just scroll thru the first page and rather then clicking on the second page they will definitely want to revise there search queries.... for the simple reason all of us want the most specific answer.... and what comes first for our search term we assume that this is the best information we were looking for... who would like to go for the second best...

WebDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Chris that was indeed a cool post.

I personally allways take a look at page 2, then revise my search if I don't see anything.

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:20 AM   #7
Crimson Fox

While I agree that it is a great bonus to be on the front page is can be very difficult for a lot of keyword terms.

So while I would urge people to work towards it. I wouldn't say that it is 'important' as in you will be dead in the water without it. If it was really 'that' important then everyone but the 10 front page listings would be out of business.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 07:18 AM   #8
James Schramko

Being on the front page is only important if you want heaps of free traffic for your search phrase.

The position on the front page makes a huge different to search volume.

If you want more qualified buyers, don't aim for the second or third page, aim for page one by using longer search phrases with better words.

I would rather be on page one for a buying term like:

"callaway golf driver review"

than "callaway".

Make sure you are trying to optimize for the right phrase. Traffic that does not convert is of little value.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
eww

My opinion: My searching habbits dictate my feelings on this topic. I personally search beyond page 1 if it is an item or a topic on which I want a lot of different recommendations or reviews. If I am in search of a hard answer, I will stick with page 1. Example: If I want a specific answer on when my fingernail will grow back from an injury (yes...that actually happened...yuck), then I will select a site with the best description on the first page. If I am shopping around for pole barn kits, I will check most sites within the first three pages. So, while I think page 1 will bring the most traffic, it depends on the topic.

Old 10th August 2007, 05:26 PM   #10
vince_juv

Send a message via Yahoo to vince_juv Send a message via Skype™ to vince_juv

It's really important to be in the first page of the search engine, it really help to get traffic in the site.

vince_juv is offline   Reply With Quote