Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
kimt

Default Should I Try Affiliate Marketing? Please Help A Newbie!

Hi, i am not sure if i should give affiliate marketing a try. I have read a fair bit about it, but i need someone to explain it in a simple way. I am new to all of this and just need it explained in a way that i can understand it without all of the hype. Is it a good idea for my website or not? I am sure someone out there can help me with this. Thanks from Kim

kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:13 PM   #2
CreativelyBelle

Hi Kim,

Affiliate programs are the online version of the tradition business method of paying someone a commission for bringing you a sale. So say an old school friend of yours has an art gallery and they recommend your wall hangings to one of their customers and they buy one of your wall hangings. As a thank you, you would pay your friend a referral commission for the sale, say 10%.

By paying your friend a commission you are also encouraging them to send more customers and sales your way. But you only pay commission for the sale, not for the person just looking.

That's the same idea for most affiliate programs where you pay a commission for the sales other's bring to you.

There are other payment processes for affiliate programs but having looked at your site I'd say that would be the one you're interested in.

What I like about this process is you only pay for results. Whereas with advertising you're paying lots of money before there are any results, before any money is coming in.

Personally I find affiliate programs to be good for my business and they have brought me customers that have shopped with me, joined my newsletter and are valuable to me.

It did take a little bit of time to set up the initial graphics and figuring out the key messages for my marketing text (advertising copy - the words used in the descriptions and ads used by my affiliates) but that's fine, it's part of building a business.

I've added banners and text ads since then and that was quicker than when I was learning during the initial setup.

I use Clixgalore and have found them good. You need to check out the pricing structures for such organisations. I don't pay monthly fees etc, only commissions. But I only like to pay for results, not promises.

I have some material on my website you might find useful www.creativelybelle.com/affiliates as I have some free articles on my website etc.

When I was starting I found the internet marketing course I did really useful as it gave direct plain speaking advice, provided examples and useful explanations - it's on that page as well.

I found the Affiliate Program ebook by the Web Marketing Today site very useful too for making decisions. I did actually get the Clixgalore lead from Blogher.org and found that to be the best way for me to start.

Remember, affiliate programs are just part of the online promoting strategy. It isn't the be all and end all but it is very useful if built well.

Also remember to communicate with your affiliates with a simple automated process. I learned about mine with that internet marketing course.

I started my affiliate program last November and I'm happy with how it has grown. With more effect in promoting and communicating on my part it will continue to grow even faster.

Also, it doesn't matter if you give something a go and make a couple of mistakes. What does matter is that you learn from your mistakes and improve bit by bit.

So go for it.

Cheers
Belinda

CreativelyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 06:35 AM   #3
mktgbiz

Absolutely use affiliate programs to earn income.

An affiliate is someone who "offers" someone elses product and earns a commissions WHEN the product being offered sells.

Try electronic downlaodable products from clickbank.com and payloadz.com.

--

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
kimt

Default Hi From Kim Queensland

Hi Creativelybelle aka Belinda, thanks for your comprehensive affiliate explanation, i think i get it now. Wow, your website is so extensive, i just love it. Did you design it yourself or did you have someone do it for you? I would ideally love to start my own home party plan business with my wall hangings and i suppose it would be kind of like an affiliate program too. I was thinking of offering the host 10% of my sales, either in cash or off the price of a wall hanging. What do you think of that idea? Would you consider me for your affiliate program, i know that i am not selling the same thing as you, that may be the only problem.
Look forward to talking to you again soon. From Kim

kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 09:30 PM   #5
mitch

I use my affiliates to produce income to reinvest into advertising my primary business. I love this method because your advertising budget can get very large, which creates more advertising and more clients to your primary business. My link below might be helpful for you.

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:22 AM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Why not? You can try and learn more about affiliate marketing before you decide and go for it.

Best of luck!

Old 24th August 2007, 09:01 AM   #7
James Schramko

Kim,

You could just use paydotcom.com for your products.

All that happens is you use the paypal button from there and it works just like your current button when you sell something yourself.

And you can have your banners and promotional materials listed there and also a listing in the marketplace for others to see your products. They get a special link from paydotcom and then they use it to link to your site from their site or article etc.... if someone buys from that link then you owe them a commission. (You decide the amount).

I use this for some of my products and it is easy. Affiliates will sell FOR you.

James Schramko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 12:52 AM   #8
emsusanns

Yes more than no.

emsusanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 11:55 AM   #9
allecatt

Kim,
Affiliate marketing is easy when done right. I truly love it and find it profitable also!
Good luck,
Steve

allecatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 11:16 PM   #10
welford

Affiliate marketing can earn good income provided you have good traffic to your website.

welford is offline   Reply With Quote