Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Courtney

Default Finding My Site in the Search Engines

My web developer indicated that he had "submitted" my site to the search engines and we went over key words etc. etc.

When I search for products that are on my site, my site doesn't show up in the search. How do you get your site to show up on page 1 or 2 of a Google or other search?

I'm really new at all of this. Appreciate any help out there.

Also, what's the difference between a "post" and a "thread" ??

Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th September 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Unfortunately, submission to the search engines really won't do anything for you at all.

Our own Jennifer Laycock has written a book, small Business Guide to Search Engine Marketing that you might find helpful. It's not free, but it's definitely worth the price of admission (and then some).

If you'd like to start with a free resource, you might want to take a look at the Tips for New SEOs thread at the HighRankings.com forum. It's a collection of articles that will help you learn more about the things that really do matter for search engine optimization. (Full disclosure: I'm a moderator at HR, so I may be a bit biased, but I think that thread's a pretty good resource. )

To answer your final question, your message and my reply are each "posts." Together (with any other subsequent posts that may be added as part of this same discussion), they will form a "thread." If you think of it in terms of the "offline" world, a thread corresponds to a conversation. As each participant in the conversation makes a new remark or observation, that would correspond to a post.

Hope this helps!

--Torka

Old 19th September 2006, 10:00 PM   #3
David Wallace

We have a marathon called PF Chang's Rock n' Roll Marathon that runs every year here in Phoenix. Anyone can sign up and either run or walk. They even have a full marathon or a half marathon. However if one is going to actually win the marathon or at least place in the top ten, it is not going to happen by chance.

They are going to have to be in shape. They probably train vigorously to run a marathon such as that. They watch their diet. They make sure their bodies are fine tuned to not only endure but to win.

Positioning a site well in the organic search results is very much like that. It is easy to publish a site these days. Pretty much anyone can do it. However those sites that are fine tuned, what we refer to as "optimized", will be the ones that position well and finish in the top ten.

Torka (Diane) recommended a couple of excellent resources which will allow anyone with the time to make sure their site not only entered into the race but has a chance of winning. And if you don't have the time... well there is an entire industry devoted just this kind of service at your disposal.

Old 20th September 2006, 10:24 AM   #4
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post

--Torka

Good information in that article thanks. It appears I have done the right things with my site. BTW, I grew up around Durham. But dont hold that against me....

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 04:00 PM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Wouldn't dream of it, Jason.

I'm actually a transplant in NC myself, having grown up in South Carolina. And I actually lived for a couple of years in Durham when I was a kid, as my dad was doing graduate work at Duke.

--Torka

Old 20th September 2006, 05:15 PM   #6
mktgbiz

Courtney -
Unfortunately it takes time, especially if you have a reasonable amount of competition. On the other hand, if you are selling something people are searching for but no one else is selling just yet, you'll skyrocket to the top of the search engines pretty quickly. I was able to write a couple of ebooks on fishing sponsorship and it just so happened that anglers were looking dilegently for the info and it wasn'tr really avialable until I put it together.

I'm not trying to brag, just want to let you know, that if you have something people WANT and no one else is offering it or not marketing it very well, you'll rank high in a jiffy.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 09:51 PM   #7
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Wouldn't dream of it, Jason.

I'm actually a transplant in NC myself, having grown up in South Carolina. And I actually lived for a couple of years in Durham when I was a kid, as my dad was doing graduate work at Duke.

--Torka

I miss the good ole NC. I hope to come back for a visit soon.

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote