Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th January 2010, 04:40 PM   #1
clembm

Default Service Business - Do Yard Signs Work?

Hi,

I'm putting together a marketing campaign for my year old business. We refinish and repair exterior doors which is cheaper than replacing the door.

My question for the forum. Does yard sign advertising work? Especially for a service business? It seems low cost(will cost me about $303 for printing of 100 signs, stakes, and delivery).

My 18x24 sign reads:

UGLY DOOR?
$200 DOOR REFINISHING
Our Number * Website

and it's dark blue lettering with white background.

What is everyone's thoughts on using yard signs at strategic intersections for generating leads?

clembm is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th January 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Hmmm... I wonder how that would compare to spending the money on door hangers. An owner walks up to their ugly door, sees your flyer, looks back at the door to put the key in, realizes how ugly their door is... maybe you get a sale?

I think I'd vote no on the yard signs in this case but I've had no experience using them so keep that in mind.

Old 28th January 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
clembm

Robert.

Awesome insight. I had planned on doing a multi-pronged marketing campaign.

You actually hit on something we are going to do. We have made the door hanger just like you said. Kept the same simple message except we added. "We can make it Dazzling Again!" and put a picture of a before and after of one of our jobs. I've ordered 5k of these for about $266 printed and delivered.

I and one of my employees willl soon be canvassing select middle to upper middle class neighborhoods and will be putting these on their doors. We hope the mental picture and marketing trigger occurs just like you described. I designed the flyer to make them question whether their door is ugly or not and if so call us.

In addition to that, I think I still want to do the yard signs at major intersections of select middle to upper middle+ class neighborhoods.

I have about $2k to spend on marketing for the next 3 months though I only want to spend about $1k to keep as lean as possible. I'll track the campaign results as people call in. I'm going to tracker a. what worked, and b. what worked that converted to sales.

clembm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

For the low cost, I'd move forward with testing it. Truly that is the only way to know. test, test, test.

Regarding the door hangers, great stuff! Throw on top of what has been said that it can be very effective to distribute in the neighborhoods where you are completing jobs. I have a family member with a landscaping business and as he completes a job part of the process is distributing flyers within that neighborhood. For starters, you are already there so there is not cost in travel time, gas, etc. Give them references (including their neighbor if approved by them) so they can check out your work firsthand.

Another forum member of our sells holders for business cards or brochures to be placed on the outside of vehicles. (see http://www.mytakeacard.com/). I've seen good results in local areas with those also. Not a massive flood of new business, but it works on a consistent basis.

Please keep us posted with the results you see!

Old 2nd February 2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clembm View Post
I had planned on doing a multi-pronged marketing campaign.
Excellent. Another thing to think about is neighborhood newsletters. We get one and we keep it every month and the repeated exposure to the ads sink in. When I need a service I'll often go get the newsletter and run through it to see if someone in there can do the job. Especially nice are the coupons that businesses will include.

I'm very interested to see how it went so be sure to let us know!

Old 2nd February 2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Ravedesigns

Personally I think yard signs are in the same category with email spam. They're eyesores in my book and unless you're placing them on your property, you've no right to place them on every street corner in town. I'm sure some people would respond to them, but I'd go out of my way to avoid someone advertising in this way.

There are a few home communities that do this in my area, posting signs at intersections and even alongside the highway, but they do this only on weekends and the signs are gone by monday morning. I still don't like 'em but they've been doing it for years so I assume 1) the town/county doesn't have a problem with it (or they've gotten permission) and 2) they must get some business otherwise they wouldn't go to all that effort to place and then remove these signs each week.

Robert's doorhanger idea is great though and if you can get 5k printed and delivered for that little it sounds like a good deal.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 3rd February 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Steve, I agree ... but to challenge your thoughts a bit - why do you consider there to be a difference between yard signs and door hangers? I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure why you would differentiate between the two.

Its a relevant point though, anytime representing your business you should comply with the local laws and regulations in place. Check to see what your rights are in distributing promotional materials, if you are not sure. If you are crossing the line, no brainer - don't do it. If you are not - then at least you have checked and you are not walking on eggshells.

Old 3rd February 2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Ravedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Steve, I agree ... but to challenge your thoughts a bit - why do you consider there to be a difference between yard signs and door hangers? I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure why you would differentiate between the two.
Well, I guess I see door hangers as more "personal" as they don't clutter up the landscape for days or weeks like a yard sign on a street corner would. I don't mind when a contractor places a sign in the yard at a house where they're working, 'cause at least I know it'll be gone usually in a few days, but the stop sign, street corner signs do bug me. Just a weird pet peeve of mine I guess.

From an advertisers perspective though, while door hangers are more work to deliver, I would think the ability to offer a coupon and more info about the business may work better than a yard sign that can only display so much information on it.

You were right on in your earlier post that the only way to know for sure though is to test and see what works best.

All the best,

Steve

Old 9th February 2010, 02:53 AM   #9
FBCondos

Well, I guess yard signs are effective only for the target residents near the vicinity of your business location. It also means that your business might only have few customers because the service users will only be the near ones. Still, there are many ways to advertise your service to make it visible to the market.

FBCondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 10:27 PM   #10
tmv

Very similar to bandit signs which work AWESOME.

Heck try it out! Test, test, test is what marketing is all about

tmv is offline   Reply With Quote