Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
trav268

Default Is Social Scanning (QR Codes; Stickybits And Bakodo) Really Becoming A Trend?

After reading this article (see trend #1) I have become kind of excited.

I am thinking of about a new promotion. "The future is here, put your videos on a postcard". Of course I would not be talking about ultra thin, ultra cheap LCD screen printed on a postcard (although that would be neat). I would be talking about QR codes.

However I am not quite sure the general public has accepted QR codes as of yet.

Are QR codes the wave of the future or just another fad?

Your input is much appreciated because we are on the fence of whether or not we should start recommending our clients use QR codes on their postcards.

Thanks

trav268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd August 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
jaairey
VIP Contributor

I always wondered how those (that I also now know the name of) QR codes worked. Many people are used to seeing them since they are already around (the shipping company UPS uses a version for tracking). Thanks for the links.

I think they are a wave (one of many) of the future. I would certainly investigate them further and perhaps target clients whose customers are in the smart phone/tech savvy demographic. It could even be part of marketing campaign.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 02:15 AM   #3
trav268

Smile Update

Well, we finally sold our first QR Coded Postcard (see sample). What do you think? Will these be viable in the future.

If you recieved this in the mail do you:

a) Have a smart phone
b) Have the QR Code App
c) Would actually take the time to scan and watch video
d) Just throw it away

Ironically, I had my sales staff push these hard all week. I even wrote a quick article about. The postcard that was finally sold was 'customer concept'.

trav268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:00 PM   #4
MaineCopywriter

If you watch the trends in countries like Korea and Japan, where mobile marketing is years ahead of the US, QR codes are everywhere. The US is behind on mobile marketing adoption because we have large carriers fighting each other for market share. So smartphones are not yet the norm. Once the carriers start making more reasonably priced packages, more and more people will adopt this technology.

QR codes in general are starting to show up more and more because they're free to produce and you can put them on anything. (Literally, I know someone who knitted one into a scarf and it worked). I don't think the public or the marketers know quite what to do with the little suckers yet. But it's only a matter of time.

If you want to find out the best ways to use them for marketing, I'd study what marketers are already doing in the far east.

MaineCopywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:56 PM   #5
davidbkeegan

It's hard to tell whether or not QR codes will be as successful in America as it is in Japan. Although it's a neat idea, many ideas hit roadblocks in the US because of major corporations who think they'll lose money, and unfortunately, major corps run this country. If it is going to take off, I have a feeling it's going to be a long time from now.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:46 AM   #6
jaairey
VIP Contributor

Congratulations.

I just saw my first magazine ad with a QR code in an ad. It was in Backpacker magazine which appeals to a younger demographic. It was a full page ad on the inside cover so at least one corporation thinks it is worth it.

I think whether QR codes take off is going to depend on the quality and novelty of the videos and getting adopted by the "leaders".

My vote is yes it will take off. Though it takes time and money to make the videos, it fits nicely in current ways of marketing. It may take a while since in personal tech the US always seems to lag behind Asia and Europe.

However, I fall at step a) I don't have a smart phone.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 07:54 PM   #7
davidbkeegan

I have to correct myself. I said they probably would not catch on for awhile, but now I see them everywhere!

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Clem

Default Social QR Codes

Hi guys,

I've been working for the past months on a project to generate Social QR codes (http://www.buzzitag.com). It's mainly about performing actions on social networks (Facebook for now) by simply scanning a QR code.

This is a beta, and I need to know if people find it interesting, easy to use, etc. So I was wondering if you could check it out and tell me what you think.

Best Regards,
Clem

Here is an exemple to attend a Lady Gaga concert on Facebook:

Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
vikrantsharma1

QR codes will definitely be a success, in fact they are already. The magnitude of the success, however, depends on the number of smartphone users. In terms of advising client to print QR codes, you need to find out how many of their customers use smartphones. If it is a significant number then go for it.

vikrantsharma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 07:42 PM   #10
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

I don't have a smartphone and have no plans to add another frivolous bill to cover from my Social Security income.