Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th June 2010, 11:24 AM   #21
david.delaney

Hi, my name is David and I am new here.

As I was reading through this thread I realized that the best way to reach high school kids is definitely though a social network. Most kids these days spend their days on Facebook and the such.

A great way to keep the customers you gain is to make the environment in your store very relaxed and personal. If you address your regular customers by name, know their favorite flavors, you will gain their trust and they'll keep coming back for more!

david.delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:24 PM   #22
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

Good solid advice, and if you are good enough to remember the irregular customers names too then you will slowly gain loyal customers. People like being remembered, and they like feeling welcome, just remembering one thing about them will be enough to brighten most people's day.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 07:55 PM   #23
MIMarketingLab

I like the fact you are looking at building your Facebook fan page. It's already been mentioned, but this is definitely a key to reaching the local high school kids.

Another idea for reaching high school kids. What about doing a school spirit type day in your shop? You could line it up on the same day of a local high school sporting event...and give them some incentive for specifically coming in your shop that day. Plus, if you are building up your Facebook fan page you could spread the word very easily.

Mike

MIMarketingLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 08:48 PM   #24
ChrisJ

Just a few suggestions:

Position your product as a healthy alternative to ice cream. Try and find research data on nutrients, calorie count per servings, etc. Anything that you can use in your promotional materials

Try and tie-up with local gyms or health spas to promote your product among its customers. Again, drum up the healthy alternative angle.

Have you considered tapping into the baby boomer generation market, i.e. senior citizens? You can promote your products to them since normally these are the consumers who may be suffering from diabetes and can no longer eat ice cream. Tap into this market and see what results you can come up with.

Cheers.

ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:45 AM   #25
lyrafire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTF View Post
There are some good marketing suggestions for acquiring customers, and the idea of a loyalty scheme like a punch card "buy 4, get the 5th free" is great.

The key differentiator here though should be in your service (an often underestimated part of the marketing mix). You and your staff need to make your customers' experience nothing short of fantastic, from start to finish.

Make an effort to learn the names of your regulars. "ABC" - Always Be Cheerful. Go out of your way to make them feel like you really really appreciate their business. Not only will they want to come back time and time again, but they'll bring friends and tell people all about it.

To be honest, whether your staff are above average in the physical attraction is far less important than whether they're above average in their "sparkle" - that's what's going to make a massive difference for you.
Right--it's the quality of the service that matters, not whether you think a girl is pretty. If I entered an establishment staffed only by pretty girls and received poor service, I guarantee--I would never go back. Also--just an FYI--there are laws against hiring on the basis of age and gender.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:48 PM   #26
ORCIUS

The most important thing to have in mind, is customer service, it's all about customer service. Even if the girls look very nice, but the customer service is very bad, your customers will never return, unless they like the girl very much.

But the business image, is also important, keep in perfect shape your business, and also very clean, for you to gain more customers, and also to keep your loyal customers.

And have some kind of rewards for your customers, like promotions, coupons, discounts, or even point rewards for every purchase. It's a way to encourage the customer to return and get a reward, and it'll become a loyal, and regular customer.

ORCIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 06:33 PM   #27
DaphneM

Great discussion!

It's hard to add to what has already been said, but to repeat one suggestion I just made in another thread and to add 2 more:

Check out 2 of the following social media in addition to Twitter and Facebook:

1. SCVNGR.com
2. Foursquare.com

But to add to that since you're wanting to target high schools, how about targeting the junior and high school sports teams. Contact the coaches and give discounts for the team after the games or practice.

The other idea (don't have kids in school so not sure if this is still popular), but when I was in school we had bookcovers for our textbooks. They're these huge sheets of paper that you can wrap your books in. They would usually be free and have ads on them, sometimes we would just make our own out of newspapers and grocery bags and put our own scribbles and artwork on them.

Well, my idea would be for you to supply bookcovers at the start of the school year or hand them out at games, school activities, and such. You can make them colorful and bright so that the kids would WANT to wrap their books in them. Your name would be prominent every single day and of course you could offer some type of team spirit discount coupon (or coupon code like a free topping) on them as well. Or maybe not even a coupon, but a prompt to go to your twitter or facebook page to sign up for "stuff".

Last edited by DaphneM; 25th September 2010 at 06:36 PM.
DaphneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 01:00 AM   #28
davidbkeegan

I think a loyalty program is a good idea. Just print out stamp cards and for every ten purchases the customer gets a free something or other. It shouldn't be too expensive if you do it right

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:17 PM   #29
dorramide7

Quote:
Originally Posted by janicejan View Post
I really like your idea of having cute girls as your employees for your yogurt shop, the atmosphere is really important to gain the loyalty of your customers. Now going on to advertising, there are lots of options you just know what to choose or just look for cheaper yet effective alternatives.
Always remember that you must have something unique which none of your competitors may be able to have in order to survive in such a fierce competition and to get succeeded.

dorramide7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 10:33 PM   #30
Kalen

Don't forget local online directories such as Yelp, Local.com etc. I'm not promising that they will do wonders for you overnight (but you never know depending on your community and how often people look for stuff online). Still if they're free and take a few minutes to set up why not go for them?

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote