Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th May 2015, 11:07 AM   #1
MarshallKing

Default Do You Think That CTR Can Help You With Rankings?

I'm talking about a method that I tried couple of times to rank few of my websites that were having huge competition-

I used a traffic bot that was using back connect proxies, and searched for my website for a particular keyword in Google search with the help of that bot.

It was searching my website and was clicking it and was browsing internal urls as guided.

This is what all I did. Now, when I checked my website for that keyword. I came to first page for that keyword from the 10 th page it took 15 days time for that. I was getting around 500+ clicks a day. In the mean time, I haven't created any new link to my site.

What you say ? Is that CTR that helped ? Or was it something else. Please share your thoughts on this.

MarshallKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:29 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm curious -- when you say you were experiencing 500 clicks per day, was that 500 more than what you got before this experiment? Did you exclude the bot clicks from the 500 per day total? And did those 500 clicks convert at the same rate (or better) than the traffic you normally were getting before?

Oh, and when you checked your rankings, you were using anonymized results to minimize the effects of personalization, right?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on the results.

My thoughts:

If Google were going to use CTR as a ranking factor (which I doubt they do, but if they were) they'd be smart enough to know how easy it is to fake, and they'd take some behind-the-scenes steps to detect and discount (or even penalize) fake clicks. So it's likely the bot wouldn't have helped.

See, if you think CTR is a significant ranking factor, you have to consider that Google will not treat lightly attempts to fake it. There have been plenty of instances where people have gotten away with something for a while, only to have their sites slapped down hard by Google once the Big G decides they've had enough, or think they've figured out well enough how to detect and counteract the fakery. So if you think CTR is significant, using a bot to fake it is a high-risk maneuver.

Not saying it totally couldn't work, just not in the long term. Not for somebody who's using their website to promote a real, long-term business and doesn't look to churn and burn. (Assuming it has any effect on rankings in the first place, of course.)

If, on the other hand, you think it's just a coincidence (they do happen) and CTR isn't a strong ranking factor, then using a bot to boost CTR is just a waste of time.

People sometimes forget that the folks at Google are smarter than the average bear, and they guard the sanctity of their SERPs with a fierceness. They're not going to use something they know is easily faked as a significant ranking factor, especially if they can't just as easily weed out the fakes.

Which is why I doubt that CTR is a strong factor. (Actually, I seriously doubt that it's a factor at all, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here. )

Just because two things happened at the same time, I'd be wary of concluding one caused the other.

My

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 13th May 2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: had another thought... :)
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 04:24 AM   #3
MarshallKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
I'm curious -- when you say you were experiencing 500 clicks per day, was that 500 more than what you got before this experiment? Did you exclude the bot clicks from the 500 per day total? And did those 500 clicks convert at the same rate (or better) than the traffic you normally were getting before?
Yes, I was getting 20-50 clicks before this. These 500+ clicks are not from the bot the are natural and my site is from health niche with more than two hundred thousand searches a month. Using CPA network to monetize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Oh, and when you checked your rankings, you were using anonymized results to minimize the effects of personalization, right?

Just want to make sure I'm clear on the results.

My thoughts:

If Google were going to use CTR as a ranking factor (which I doubt they do, but if they were) they'd be smart enough to know how easy it is to fake, and they'd take some behind-the-scenes steps to detect and discount (or even penalize) fake clicks. So it's likely the bot wouldn't have helped.

See, if you think CTR is a significant ranking factor, you have to consider that Google will not treat lightly attempts to fake it. There have been plenty of instances where people have gotten away with something for a while, only to have their sites slapped down hard by Google once the Big G decides they've had enough, or think they've figured out well enough how to detect and counteract the fakery. So if you think CTR is significant, using a bot to fake it is a high-risk maneuver.

Not saying it totally couldn't work, just not in the long term. Not for somebody who's using their website to promote a real, long-term business and doesn't look to churn and burn. (Assuming it has any effect on rankings in the first place, of course.)

If, on the other hand, you think it's just a coincidence (they do happen) and CTR isn't a strong ranking factor, then using a bot to boost CTR is just a waste of time.

People sometimes forget that the folks at Google are smarter than the average bear, and they guard the sanctity of their SERPs with a fierceness. They're not going to use something they know is easily faked as a significant ranking factor, especially if they can't just as easily weed out the fakes.

Which is why I doubt that CTR is a strong factor. (Actually, I seriously doubt that it's a factor at all, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here. )

Just because two things happened at the same time, I'd be wary of concluding one caused the other.

My

--Torka
I was also afraid about the CTR factor but, now I am sure a site can rank well only if it has maximum users, links to support the site and to help google crawler to fetch your site for a particular keyword and daily xx no. of real hits.

Even they have not mentioned it clearly but it helps. Traffic always helps to rank if it looks real. All you need is good quality of proxies (no public at least).

When I search in Google keyword " Business" may be I won't find this forum, but when I search for " smallbusinessbreif.com/forum Business Ideas " . I am pretty sure site will go up for the keyword business Ideas and also for Business.

So, the bot I am using does the same work. And when I look back into webmasters tool it looks natural and no spam.

Also , I am building links in white hat way not trying to churn and burn my site. But, yes after creation of few links it is obvious that folks will search for your site.
And as you said, this fake crowd sourcing can't help you to stay on top forever. So, you have two ways first rank slowly and make money, and the second way is rank faster and make money. For me second one was good and I did the same. But, for anyone who owns a website and want to stay on top for longer duration he/she must go with link building coz that is the ethical way to rank.

MarshallKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 02:46 AM   #4
jeffscott
VIP Contributor

CTR is definitely has nothing to do with rankings because as Torka stated above its so easy to manipulate. Using a bot is obviously a sign of manipulation and the most important thing here is the users intent.

jeffscott is offline   Reply With Quote