Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
mikemunter
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to mikemunter
Default How To Gather Content For A Client's Blog

We all know how important blogging is to build traffic, yet when it comes to getting our clients to write, they usually don't (or won't) do it.

I'm wondering if anyone is using a system for collecting content from their clients in order to get the core content we need to populate their site?

Personally, i dont like creating blog posts on behalf of my clients - i think the information should come from them - they are the expert.

One way is to record videos and transcribe them and another way would be to have the client walk around with a microphone all day

Anyone collecting data from clients in an efficient way?

Thanks
Mike

mikemunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th January 2013, 03:24 AM   #2
yettac
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Default

Nice question,

Most of the people managing corporate blog of client used to face this problem.

Usually what i do is, i clear all this stuff to my client before stat working on their blog. Just imagine a business or person who is not interested in their own blog or website, how can a service provide will be?

yettac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Wayne Liew
Member
 
Wayne Liew's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to Wayne Liew

Default

A great way will be to schedule several time slots with them for interviews on certain topics that are related to their business. Often times, they have the knowledge and they are just too lazy to write them out. Having these interviews transcribed and edited at a later data makes great content for a blog.

__________________
http://www.SproutGeek.com - The Best How-To Guides for Business Owners
Wayne Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Liew View Post
A great way will be to schedule several time slots with them for interviews on certain topics that are related to their business. Often times, they have the knowledge and they are just too lazy to write them out. Having these interviews transcribed and edited at a later data makes great content for a blog.
This works to an extent, but isn't a perfect solution. Not to mention that some owners just don't have time to sit down with you and do an interview.

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Wayne Liew
Member
 
Wayne Liew's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to Wayne Liew

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
This works to an extent, but isn't a perfect solution. Not to mention that some owners just don't have time to sit down with you and do an interview.
True, I think it really comes down to whether they see the value of content marketing. The landscape of Internet marketing has changed so much that the pay-and-let-it-run model is becoming too expensive for many small businesses. Perhaps a comparison of how much they are going to spend on ads (pay-and-let-it-run) and the time they need to spend on content marketing to achieve the same returns is going to help.

__________________
http://www.SproutGeek.com - The Best How-To Guides for Business Owners
Wayne Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

That is sound advice. It isn't a good idea just to post and let in run.

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Beth Worthy
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 64

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
This works to an extent, but isn't a perfect solution. Not to mention that some owners just don't have time to sit down with you and do an interview.
Agree with you Carpetnj, there are several business organization where the business owners have no time for interviews because of their busy schedules and workload.

Beth Worthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Worthy View Post
Agree with you Carpetnj, there are several business organization where the business owners have no time for interviews because of their busy schedules and workload.
That is true, but then they will get irrelevant content.

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
TrafficTrader
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
Posts: 6
Send a message via Skype™ to TrafficTrader

Default Stumbleupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemunter View Post
We all know how important blogging is to build traffic, yet when it comes to getting our clients to write, they usually don't (or won't) do it.

I'm wondering if anyone is using a system for collecting content from their clients in order to get the core content we need to populate their site?

Personally, i dont like creating blog posts on behalf of my clients - i think the information should come from them - they are the expert.

One way is to record videos and transcribe them and another way would be to have the client walk around with a microphone all day

Anyone collecting data from clients in an efficient way?

Thanks
Mike
I like using Stumbleupon. I just simply add the niche that I am focusing on and Stumble away.

Then I use Evernote to capture what is of interest.

TrafficTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 04:17 PM   #10
carpetnj
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficTrader View Post
I like using Stumbleupon. I just simply add the niche that I am focusing on and Stumble away.

Then I use Evernote to capture what is of interest.
I don't find Stumbleupon to be that effective. Just my personal opinion.

__________________
NJ Flooring Outlet
carpetnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blog Forum Intro - Setup, Create & Promote A Blog Logan Blogs and Blogging 31 7th May 2018 10:20 AM
10 Tips To Improve Traffic To Your Blog akundimohan Blogs and Blogging 62 12th October 2015 09:19 AM
Google's Blog Search: Is Your Blog Listed? David Jackson Blogs and Blogging 13 27th September 2012 07:38 PM
Should I Give Clients Access To Service Providers Contact Information? Boballoo New Member Introductions 0 27th August 2012 08:17 AM
How to Generate More Blog Traffic With Evergreen Content Promotion Small Business Brief Small Business Brief Archives 0 5th April 2010 02:43 PM



Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for Blogs and Blogging RSS for this Category Only: Blogs and Blogging

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy