Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th November 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
JDog

Exclamation Free Small Business Help - Funded by the US Gov.

SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business" is a nonprofit association dedicated to entrepreneur education and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

SCORE has 389 chapters in locations throughout the United States and its territories, with 10,500 volunteers nationwide. Both working and retired executives and business owners donate time and expertise as business counselors. SCORE was founded in 1964.

It is a free service for all small business owners, start ups, etc.

John Jantsch from DuctTape Marketing does a great podcast with Ken Yancey, CEO of SCORE

A must listen to anyone starting a business!

Last edited by JDog; 13th November 2007 at 12:03 PM.
JDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th November 2007, 06:49 AM   #2
mktgbiz

Free from the government..........makes me nervous.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Nah, not something to be nervous about. I used the score program myself when I was starting out w/ my own business. Basically, SCORE is a volunteer organization of retired business owners - so the people you are working with are not from the govt. A person new to business can participate and work with a mentor from SCORE who is a previous business owner with experiences. Some times these business owners have direct experiences in the field area you are approaching - so they can be an advantage. The SCORE volunteers are just former business owners who donate the experiences/advice. A good resource for anyone new to biz, imo.

Old 13th November 2007, 12:04 PM   #4
JDog

Thanks Logan, You did a much better job at explaining it. I also changed the title for ya mrktbz so it's not as scary.

JDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Lucky240

Default SCORE - gov. small business help

Logan, thank you for posting the information about SCORE. I went right to the link and viewed bios of some counselors and I think it could be a great resource. There is a long list of specialties and you can select 10 of them at a time to view the experts in those fields.

Lucky240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Stan2000

If you want some great help, you are at the right place right now. If you want some other help, join a group, any group and seek out people in your industry, such as the internet, etc. Try to find people in a social setting - even at the gym or Chamber of Commerce or a B2B meeting - you will be less competitive to them and they will open up much more. If the people at SCORE have retired, they may be a little too old to help. And even professors probably can't help (the worst advice I EVER received was from my computer professor!). If you want to know what is going on in an industry, ask someone IN the industry. Also, go to trade shows, get industry publications, get info from the Trade Association in your field. See if there are any Industry Professionals willing to mentor you. They did help me.

Any good ideas? Good luck, Stan

Stan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I have had good luck with suppliers mentoring to add on to your list Stan. They often know the ins and outs of your business and are motivated by helping you increasing sales to help.

Quote:
If the people at SCORE have retired, they may be a little too old to help. And even professors probably can't help
I'm going to put some balance to that statement as I think it is important. It is a common misconception based on my experiences. First of all, retired doesn't always = old. Some people are very successful and retire much younger than you may think. Those people sometimes still look to help people based on their experiences. For the older ones, I think there is a lot of value in someone who has a lot of experiences.

Regarding the professors, I'm with you on that one

My worst experience was a entrepreneurship class. It went strictly by the book. Read the chapter, take the test. The professor was tenured with 30 years teaching this class. And not only had he never owned or started a business, but he never worked in one. That was completely worthless. The one professor I can remember having an impact was an entrepreneur and owned several different businesses, including starting up one during the time period of our class.