Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd August 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Which Newsletter Format Should I Use? Text, HTML or PDF?

Which one is the best way to reach the most folks.

"The best file format for you specific needs will depend on a number of factors. Things to take into consideration before choosing the appropriate file format include..."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...rs/006121.html

Which one do you use?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd August 2006, 02:31 PM   #2
orvado

Did the article mention that you can send multi-part e-mails containing both text and HTML? I read over the article rather quickly and I didn't see mention of this. This is a great way to serve the lowest common denominator. Although, as the article mentions, nearly all modern-day mail clients support the reading of HTML mail.

Sending out HTML mails can be tricky. There are some mail clients such as MSN that strip out all of the HTML message except for what is inside of the body tags. I've found that if you need to use CSS within a mail message, the best way is to include the style inline using the STYLE attribute.

orvado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 01:37 PM   #3
imbobbyus

We use text in our monthly newsletter that goes to over 3000 people.

imbobbyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
Brit303

Default Format for your newsletter

I'll second Orvado's comment and add a couple more.

Yahoo tends to hide graphics, so much of a newsletter (perhaps all) would be unviewable until the recipient changes his or her preferences.

The big advantage that text and HTML formats have over an attachment is that they should get passed any firewalls. Some firms set their systems to ignore any e-mail with an attachment, even a safe one like PDF or Word doc.

I initially sent out Word versions of my newsletter, but have shifted to PDF. I use an older version of Word, and want to make certain that recipients can see the entire document as I intended it. Also, one of my recipients had only WordPerfect on his machine. WP doesn't recognize text boxes inside a Word program, so parts of my newsletter were always missing.

PDF seems to work very well. As others have noted, it's free, but the user should include a link to Adobe for the Reader software.

Tom

Brit303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 02:31 PM   #5
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Default Don't send PDF.

Absolutely no one sends PDF, and for very good reason. File size, compared to text and html, is absolutely humongous. No one is going to want to launch another program to read e-mail. Too much overhead. People don't want to stop and change gears. They want to get through their e-mail and get on with their next task.

You can give your customers a choice between text and html, and just send them what they asked for. Use a radio button on the sign-up page where they can make their selection. If you use a self-serve ESP like constant contact or bluefly, they can help you manage all this on-line.

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 03:13 AM   #6
charlydonc

Default Big images or images in table

Outlook 2007 is a big issue as i does not support background image on any sort.

I could not find any answer to my question on the net. Why not sending an HTML newsletter with the full content as ONE image...?

If the JPEG compression is set up right, size of the mail can stay acceptable...

Any comments on that?

charlydonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlydonc View Post
Why not sending an HTML newsletter with the full content as ONE image...?
Anyone with images turned off on emails will see a blank email. Not a good idea.

Old 13th April 2010, 06:20 AM   #8
charlydonc

I meant by puting the picture in the cloud and linking the mail to it.

But my question was more:

is it better to slice multiple images and put them in an HTML table or just put ONE image.

As Outlook 2007 does not hold image background, we might just use image and forget plain text.

charlydonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 09:35 AM   #9
BrittMalka

I send out newsletters in text format.

One of my friends tried PDF with no success.

I know from myself that I am too lazy to open an included PDF file, unless I have a very good reason for it, and normally that would take more than a newsletter.

Keep It Simple, Stupid

Old 15th April 2010, 09:21 PM   #10
startupleads

Default Re:

I found I get the best results sending out very simple html emails. Minimal graphics are the way to go because many clients, like Outlook, will require the user to download images before they are viewable.

We still have a designer that builds these elaborate emails from blocks of graphic elements, and literally nothing can be seen in the viewing pane on Outlook.

A simple, personalized if possible, html email that looks almost like a letter, maybe with one image and a nice header less than 150 pixels in height is what has worked best for me.

- Steve

startupleads is offline   Reply With Quote