Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th March 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Website Traffic: Quality Vs. Quantity

My Free Marketing Tips Blog is brand new. I started it back in December. As a result, I'm not getting much traffic yet. Some days, I'm lucky if I get 40 or 50 visitors to my blog On a good day, I'll get around 80 or 90 visitors.

But that hasn't stopped me from being successful and making money. Why? Because the quality of my traffic is so good, I'm not dependent on the quantity of traffic I get.

You see, most marketers focus on gettting as much traffic to their sites as they can get. They really don't care where it comes from. They just want traffic, and they'll advertise on free ad sites and trade links with anybody. As a result, most of the traffic they receive isn't targeted. Their visitors don't purchase anything, and probably never will. Because it's not quality traffic.

I take the opposite approach. I shoot for quality traffic. First of all, I don't trade links, unless you have an established, quality website that is relevant to mine. In addition, I only write articles that are geared to my target audience. I don't try to be all things to all people.

My specialty is marketing, and that's all I do - period. And I only "hang out" at small business and marketing forums, because that's where my targeted audience hangs out.

As a result, my conversion ratio is exceptionally high. For every 10 people who visit my site, 3 of them will either purchase my consulting services, or purchase one of the affiliate products I sell. Some purchase both. That's a whopping 30 percent conversion ratio! With that kind of closing ratio, I really don't need a lot of traffic to make good money.

Having that kind of conversion ratio takes a lot of pressure off of me - financially speaking. I can play on my computer all day, and not have to worry about paying my bills.

If your website isn't making as much money as you'd like, instead of quantity, try focusing on getting more quality traffic to your site.

It works for me!

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th March 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Anyone agree? Disagree?

David Jackson

Old 19th March 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I agree with your premise, but viewing your blog I'm confused how potential clients even contact you. I see an email subscribe to your blog and the affiliate handbook for sale ... but no contact information. Am I missing it?

Old 19th March 2009, 05:04 PM   #4
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

I purposely don't publish my contact information on my blog for two reasons:

1. I'm extremely busy right now with various ghostwriting projects, so I'm really not looking for a lot of work. In addition, I'm busy getting ready to launch my own forum.

2. I've found that if someone really wants to contact me, they'll figure out how to do it, (it really isn't that difficult) which makes them a more "qualified" prospect in the long run.

The psychology of it works sort of like double-opt-in.

David Jackson

Old 20th March 2009, 02:32 PM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

I just remembered a story about a friend of mine who died a few years back. He was a car salesman, and he used to hand out business cards without any phone number on them. I asked him why, and he told me, if the prospect goes through the trouble of looking up his number in the phone book, he knows that he's a real prospect.

His reasoning was only a real prospect would jump through hoops like that. Anyway, it must have worked, because my friend sold a ton of cars.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 20th March 2009 at 05:49 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
vsl.online

Default Website Traffic: Quality Vs. Quantity

I admire the principles. I guess you're just one of the few who would prefer quality because the way I see it, quantity = potential earnings today. But that would be something that's arguable.

I think we should make a poll on what type of link one would prefer.

Qual or Quan? Good Idea Right?

vsl.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 04:41 PM   #7
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsl.online View Post
I guess you're just one of the few who would prefer quality because the way I see it, quantity = potential earnings today. But that would be something that's arguable.

Arguable? I suspect you'd be arguing by yourself.

Every competent marketer I know would rather have quality, targeted traffic that converts at a high rate, than a ton of non-targeted traffic that doesn't convert. That's a no-brainer!

Of course, the best of both worlds would be to have both quality and quantity.

David Jackson

Old 29th July 2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Mahlo

I do agree with you.Whatever you do the quality is the most important without it you can't survive for long term.

Mahlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Bestone

yeah unique content is the key to success.Everybody is quality conscious rather than quantity.

Bestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
FrankPinch

i believe quality is way better than quantity, might depend on your niche, but I prefer 1000 really targeted visits than 5000 untargeted visits, no doubt!!

FrankPinch is offline   Reply With Quote