Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th May 2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Anna Johnson

Default Listbuilding - do you block free email addresses?

I'm using a co-reg. service as one of my many listbuilding activities. It seems to be working reasonably well, with only a 5% unsubscribe rate compared with a 1% rate for my other big list. (I know, I know - what's more important is the buy rate...)

Anyway, I have the option to block various free domains. Since co-reg. subscribers are "lower quality" than those who optin via my website, my inclination has been to preserve as much quality as I can by blocking signups with free email addresses.

But am I being too harsh? I mean, all sorts of people use free accounts for all sorts of reasons. Many of my friends use them because they don't want certain things sent to their workplace. And the fact is, many people in my particular market will NOT have their own website and associated email address. They're more likely to use a free email address...

So... are subscribers using free email addresses worth paying for? Are some worth it, others not?

Please give me your opinion and experience!

Anna Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th May 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
jvance
VIP Contributor

HI Anna,

With regards to list building, I am not sure about the quality and buying power of people using free e-mail accounts. However, I use gmail exclusively for one of my companies. I have purchased many things online using both a free yahoo account and a free gmail account.

So this is one user that you would potentially miss if you blocked the address from your list.

Regards.

Jason

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Matt McGee

Quote:
I mean, all sorts of people use free accounts for all sorts of reasons. Many of my friends use them because they don't want certain things sent to their workplace. And the fact is, many people in my particular market will NOT have their own website and associated email address. They're more likely to use a free email address...
Not replying from personal experience, but you kinda answer your own question right there, I think.

Old 9th May 2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Anna Johnson

Yes, I can't disagree with you Matt! Sometimes it's the process of writing questions that yields the answers!

Old 9th May 2006, 12:52 PM   #5
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Hi Anna. I think I've now found you on 3 forums. I agree with Matt that you kind of answered the question yourself. Like you said free domains email are supposed to be of lesser quality though I've often wondered why. Many people use them and in some ways because they might be more disposable I tend to use them more if I'm making a purchase, so you would be losing me too by turning them off.

Old 9th May 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
a1steelbuilding

I don't know why you would ever want to make it harder for people to do business with you. You should be as open as possible.

a1steelbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Got agree, you would likely restrict myself from being a customer as I use my gmail account for all subscriptions. Its just part of how I manage my day.

Old 16th May 2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Anna Johnson

Thanks all - you have confirmed my decision NOT to block the free email addresses.

vangogh - are you admitting that you are addicted to Internet Marketing (and the associated forums) like me?

Old 17th May 2006, 03:04 PM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Anna I will admit no such thing even if it is true. This is now the third forum I am regularly posting to and I'm always looking out for others. I post infrequently on a few more and read many many more.

I think I'm just as addicted to blogging as I am to forums.

Old 23rd May 2006, 01:32 PM   #10
kristiemcd

Default Let Them Join

Hello,
I just wanted to comment that I use a free account for many reasons. Primarily as stated in the original post, I am not about to let my employer see e-mails to and from Small Business or Home Business Opportunity type of sites or newsletters. Another reason is my utter frustration with spam. I like to think that most newsletters or other sites that I opt-in to will not share my e-mail, it isn't always realistic and I am not going to take the chance with my regular e-mail accounts.
And lastly, I actually have organized all of my newsletter opt-ins by using one e-mail account for this purpose.
Hope this helps in your decision process.

kristiemcd is offline   Reply With Quote