Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd January 2009, 06:10 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation I Don't Get It

Day after day, I see new members join the Small Business Ideas forum, and they all have the same basic problem - they want more traffic to their website.

But yet, many of these members don't include a link to their site in their signature or in their profile.

I just don't get it.

If you want more people to visit your site, why on earth wouldn't you publicize your link?

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 23rd January 2009 at 10:52 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

When they first arrive, they're probably thinking of this as a place to get advice, not a place to post links.

Also, it may not have occurred to them that there's a signature option & that they can put links in it.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Riddle me this one, David. Why do active members not set up two links versus one ... as with your case - if you added a second link (we allow up to 2) deep linked to an important page or offer on your site - you could increase your links by 86 based on your current post count in the next few minutes? On top of that, we also provide linking to your social profiles (linkedin, etc) in the left column. See this for more on that http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=20940

Old 23rd January 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Riddle me this one, David. Why do active members not set up two links versus one ... as with your case - if you added a second link (we allow up to 2) deep linked to an important page or offer on your site.
Logan, riddle me this:

What does your question have to do with the topic at hand?

I'm just trying to make people aware of the signature option, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
It may not have occurred to them that there's a signature option & that they can put links in it.
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out.

If they're not aware of the signature option, hopefully this thread will help make them aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
When they first arrive, they're probably thinking of this as a place to get advice, not a place to post links.
That's a fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

But I can certainly appreciate and respect that type of reasoning.

Old 23rd January 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Hi David, from the standpoint that you are discussing people not publicizing their site and I was pointing out additional ways to publicize your site that are not often used, including by you.

I believe another factor is, some members don't want their business associated with their questions so they keep anonymous. It can be a problem for a business to rank in the search engines when a potential customer does some research, and the topic is a problem they are having.

Old 23rd January 2009, 08:19 PM   #6
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I believe another factor is, some members don't want their business associated with their questions so they keep anonymous. It can be a problem for a business to rank in the search engines when a potential customer does some research, and the topic is a problem they are having.
I personally believe those members are in the minority.

I think it's much more likely that many members just don't think about or are unaware of the signature option.

Also, since you brought it up, I purposely don't use tools such as Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn, because I prefer to use other tools that are more compatible with my preferred methods of marketing.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 23rd January 2009 at 09:55 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Because they're not your preferred methods of marketing, this doesn't mean they wouldn't (or couldn't) be useful for others... or that they're not the preferred methods for receiving information on the part of some customers.

(Which really should be the important point, shouldn't it? Good marketing is not about what we want, but what our customers want. N'est ce pas?)

If we're wondering why people don't use the signature option, I think it's a fair -- and related -- question to wonder why they don't make use of the social links option in the sidebar. After all, they're both related to marketing one's business, and they're both set up through the member profile.

So personally I think it's a fair and reasonable extension of the original topic to include this additional information for those marketers who choose to fish in different channels than you do.

Besides, that's one of the exciting differences between a forum (or other social site) versus, say, writing articles. Once the original statement or query has been posted on a community-driven site such as this, one has limited control over the direction the discussion goes from there. The community takes over and the conversation goes where it will.

I learned a long time ago I get a lot less heartburn if I just go with the flow and not get too bent out of shape when the discussion goes off on tangents.

And to go back to another point, I think you may be underestimating the number of people who deliberately choose to not use the signature option. In my years as a moderator here and on other forums, I've seen many posts from business owners who don't want to tip off their customers or their competitors they're asking for advice -- especially if they have some specific business problem they're trying to solve. They don't want their customers to think they don't know how to run their own business, and they don't want their competitors to gain any competitive advantage by learning more about their internal issues.

And for this forum in particular, we get a lot of posts from people who are looking for a business to start -- in other words, they may not put a signature link to their business because the business doesn't exist yet.

That said, I'm sure ignorance of the option is indeed a major factor, and it's never a bad idea to remind people of the available resources. All the available resources.

--Torka