Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
ethanlevin123

Default Link Building With A Lot Of Submission Sites

Hi guys,

I am new in the field of seo. I have a website related to travel and tourism. As a start, i have decided to submit it to a lot of submissions site. Do you think that this will increase the traffic to my site.

Suggestions welcome!!

ethanlevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th June 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
david64

Depends what your keywords are. Loads of submissions will be able to help you out a bit with SE rankings, but don't expect any traffic from them. Most of those sites will exist for the sole purpose of selling links and/or gathering emails.

david64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Loads of submissions will be able to help you out a bit with SE rankings, but don't expect any traffic from them. Most of those sites will exist for the sole purpose of selling links and/or gathering emails.
Google does not value worthless links. You also stand the chance of associating yourself with bad neighbors. You need to read through Google's webmaster guidelines before you make any rash, sometimes hard to reverse decisions:

Quote:
The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity. However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

Links intended to manipulate PageRank
Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
Buying or selling links that pass PageRank
The best way to get other sites to create relevant links to yours is to create unique, relevant content that can quickly gain popularity in the Internet community. The more useful content you have, the greater the chances someone else will find that content valuable to their readers and link to it.
Quote:
It is not only the number of links you have pointing to your site that matters, but also the quality and relevance of those links.

Old 13th June 2009, 03:30 AM   #4
delstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanlevin123 View Post
Hi guys,

I am new in the field of seo. I have a website related to travel and tourism. As a start, i have decided to submit it to a lot of submissions site. Do you think that this will increase the traffic to my site.

Suggestions welcome!!
Depends on what you mean by a lot of submissions. Submitting to a few high quality directories is a good idea but be careful in choosing them.

Don't just submit to directories. Spread it around. Submit 10 articles to article directories. Continue submitting on a regular basis. You don't have to submit 10 at a time but results will improve as your number of submissions increase.

Also create a Squidoo lens, contribute to social media sites, start a newsletter, post on related blogs and forums (include your URL), and dozens of other possible strategies which fit your particular niche.

Using just one method of link building may actually hurt your site.

delstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 03:50 AM   #5
andrewmoquin

It really depends on the type of submission you are doing. May it be directory submission, article submission or social bookmarking. Which one do you mean by your submission?

andrewmoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Donīt use mass submission services even though they promise to submit your site to 100,000+ sites and directories, the traffic is useless if you get any and your links will come from totally unrelated sites.

Instead, visit blogs in your niche and make a relevant comment.When Google visits the site, it will find your site as well.Then all you need to do is write good content regularly.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
TrafficVault1

Submitting to a few directories is a good idea. Using directories as your only source of links is a bad idea.

Last edited by TrafficVault1; 15th June 2009 at 10:24 AM.
TrafficVault1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Label Printing

Directory submissions is good but do more link building activities for increase traffic.

Label Printing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 02:55 AM   #9
maureendonovan9

use addurl.nu or critic

maureendonovan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 03:38 AM   #10
stephen186

I think you might want to try some reciprocal link exchange within your industry. Considering your niche, i think it is a good option other than traditional online marketing techniques.

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote