Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th March 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
zharlene

Default Jumping Into Ecommerce With Tangible Products

I'm a webmaster and a web designer/developer. For several years now I've been dealing with virtual goods. I enjoy it, but I want a new challenge. One that is very real: I want to get into the business of selling tangible products.

I will be making a few changes to my current business this year. I will be outsourcing (in order to give me more time). So really, most of what I do is actually marketing and 'sealing the deal'. I want to invest the extra time I'll have on developing a new ecommerce website.

I would really like some ideas on what products generally sell and those that have a high profit margin. I don't expect anyone who is in the business right now to give me an idea of that as it would be directly competing with your business. But it would be great if perhaps anyone else could share ideas on what you spend your money on online? This will benefit me, and everyone else in my shoes who are considering starting their own ecommerce business.

I personally like the idea of selling USB products. There are already a few sellers online but I feel that I can deliver the same items but with more competitive prices. I also like the idea of selling gifts. I'm also into herbal products.

I don't want to sell on eBay because people offer stuff there at wholesale rates. That makes it very difficult to make a good profit (unless you have direct connections with a manufacturer or if you are a manufacturer yourself). I will start locally, and hopefully slowly and surely emerge into the international market online. So for now, the ecommerce part will play the simple role of convenience, and then if that's working out it will play a vital role of accessing customers worldwide. That should help control costs.

Would love to hear advice/feedback. Thanks.

zharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
broudie

Hi Zharlene,

If you're starting small, I would recommend that you take the time to discover unique products to sell. Because if you sell stuff other people sell, people will buy those items at the lowest price possible. People are smart, they will cross-shop. Don't try to avoid Ebay. Here's the challenge, try to find something that will sell with a high margin on Ebay. If you can make a profit on that site, you can make a profit anywhere.

broudie is offline   Reply With Quote