Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
JC1227

Default Any Good Social Media Sites To Market Software Products Or Services?

I am not a big fan of social media, especially when it comes to market software/services. In particular, I don't know if people on social media websites are that interested in software products or services. They are mostly there for chatting with online friends, etc.

Anyhow, does anyone have any advice on using social media to market software products or services? Is that any viable way?

Thanks in advance,

Old 21st March 2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Jian, I think contributing at forums is one option

When I think of software though, I think of www.hotscripts.com

It's not social networking really, but can you list your software on sites like that. If so, I'd like to hear how it goes if you can keep us posted.

Old 22nd March 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

Hi,

Real social media marketing has less to do with what YOU do on social media sites, and what you can convince OTHERS to do. If you really have a good product/service it is a matter of educating others about the benefits of that product/service.

My advice is the following:

1. Create a List of the top bloggers, reporters, writers, and content providers on social media sites.
2. Analyze which are the best
3. Form a plan to influence them to promote your product/service.

Watch a tutorial on real social media marketing

#3 is tricky and is always different. I heard a great example from a marketing company in Boulder, Colorado. They were promoting a bike shop and wanted links & publicity for their client.

They recognized their were many organizations (government, non-profit, and private) that were influential in Boulder. In fact, Boulder has some of the best roads & trials to bike in near Denver.

So instead of creating social media accounts and trying to be friends with all these companies they creatively found a solution to a problem. That problem was too much debris coming from traffic in bike paths.

They first brought awareness to the problem. Reporting on the problem and publishing that information. Then, they created documentation on how the city of Boulder could fix the problem using resources already in place.

THEN, they contacted all the influential organizations in Boulder, sent out press releases, and basically started advocating the clean up of bike paths in Boulder.

The result was massive public relations. Government agencies, universities, non-profits, and other companies that all have large market reach picked up the story and linked to the content (on the client's site). Then, other bloggers, students, and organizations started blogging about it, started tweeting about it, contacted their facebook friends about it, etc...

That is real social media marketing. Brands build great products/services and a campaign like the one above would increase any companies awareness & reputation.

Jeff