Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th September 2011, 07:49 AM   #1
EricB
VIP Contributor

Default SEO Strategies For Non Content Driven Websites

Hi,

I've done some reading up on different SEO strategies and it seems like most people agree write good content and you will move up in the ranks of Google. I recently launched a website that does not provide information or a lot of content to people. It's just a free way for small businesses to have their employees schedules online so their employees can check when they are working anytime they want. Pretty much the only pages I have with content are the Home, About Us, Features, and Coming Soon pages. Other than that there is a Registration and Login page. I don't really see an opportunity to have more content on the website and have it being relevant. How can I get around not having a lot of content on my website? I've thought of having a blog on the website, but honestly I don't know what I would post their and have it relevant to work schedules.

Thank you for your input in advance
Eric

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:24 AM   #2
phanio
VIP Contributor

I don't think your issue is content but marketing.
Who are your customers? If it is businesses, you can provide content about why they need your services or how you site can help them.
If you know who your customers are - then content will come easily.
The purpose of a website is to sell - thus, your content should sell your product.

Old 17th September 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
EricB
VIP Contributor

My customers would be small businesses with employees who currently use paper schedules. I don't sell anything though because it's free for businesses to use my website. So it sounds like what you are suggesting is to market the website, maybe offline to start. I have thought of that and kind of figured that's what I would need to do, but I was hoping I could start with SEO. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there with a similar problem and if they found a solution. How do other subscription type websites move up in Google if they aren't creating new content all the time?

Thanks again
Eric

Old 19th September 2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Johndiv23

I'm kinda lost here, a website without content? How can you sell anything if you don't showcase your product? Or how can you sell your services if people don't even know what your services are?

Content speaks your product so its pretty much important.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 07:50 AM   #5
EricB
VIP Contributor

It's not that I don't have any content, but it's more of a subscription based website where the bulk of the content is seen after you log in and is not visible to Google bots. So all I have for content on the site visible to bots would be the Home page, Features page, Coming Soon page and How it works page. I know there are other websites out there that have a similar structure, in fact my competition has a similar structure. My question is how would I be able to build more content and make it look natural and not forced. The only idea I have is a blog, but honestly I have trouble figuring out how to make it work in a natural way.

Thanks

Old 20th September 2011, 01:53 PM   #6
CodyLoco

What's your website?

Maybe list the site in some directories for small business tools. I've recently started one but to be honest I'm not sure if a link here would be against the TOS :P It's an affiliate site but I might be willing to list your service and we could work together to get some exposure if it's presented as a professional service (even if it's free)...

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Pheno

You don't necessarily need loads of content. You need to optimize the homepage for your key search terms, and build some backlinks to the site.

Pheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Neil D

A lack of content makes SEO a lot harder.

Do you have a lot of images on your site?

If you do then you should make sure that you have alt tags for all of these images. When you create these alt tags you should put a detailed description in them of what they are about etc.

Old 29th September 2011, 06:41 PM   #9
jamesws

Default SEO your website

Post a few success stories, use SPIN - Situation, problem, impact, need and how your product made a difference, to gain some SEO traction mention the industry type, area of the country, include some of your keyphrases etc. Without content / words you really cannot make a big impact on Google etc, unless you do some ppc.

JDWS

jamesws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
EricB
VIP Contributor

My site does not have any images actually. It's a site that is meant for small businesses to be able to post the work schedules for their employees online rather than using pen and paper. I think I will need to look into offline marketing for my site as that may have a bigger impact. Feel free to take a look at my site in my signature if you are wondering what I mean by Non Content Driven Websites. It's not that I'm saying I have no content, I'm saying it's not an information site so adding pages of content would look weird for my site.