Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd March 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default 5 Must Do’s For Hiring Great Employees In Small Business

The success of any business is largely dependent on its employees. Good employees can help improve the business, and by the same token, bad employees can sink it into bankruptcy. That is why hiring good employees should be of paramount importance to all businesses, and particularly so for small businesses.

In my observation, most small business owners consider employee hiring a necessary evil they have to deal with when current employees leaves. They approach the hiring process in an ad-hoc fashion and try to get someone quickly so that the business can get back on track. The problem is hiring this way does not get you the right employees you need to make the business successful. Eventually, either you will need to fire the employee because he isn’t the right fit or the employee himself will leave. In the end, the cycle has to repeat and soon you find yourself in the endless hiring loop.

In working on our own business and with other clients, as well as based on the feedback from the readers I have observed few rules of hiring that, when followed, can take you out of vicious hiring cycle and get you the right employees that will make your small business successful. Listed below are the must-do’s for hiring.

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...mall-business/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:02 PM   #2
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBiz View Post
The success of any business is largely dependent on its employees. Good employees can help improve the business, and by the same token, bad employees can sink it into bankruptcy. That is why hiring good employees should be of paramount importance to all businesses, and particularly so for small businesses.

In my observation, most small business owners consider employee hiring a necessary evil they have to deal with when current employees leaves. They approach the hiring process in an ad-hoc fashion and try to get someone quickly so that the business can get back on track. The problem is hiring this way does not get you the right employees you need to make the business successful. Eventually, either you will need to fire the employee because he isn’t the right fit or the employee himself will leave. In the end, the cycle has to repeat and soon you find yourself in the endless hiring loop.

In working on our own business and with other clients, as well as based on the feedback from the readers I have observed few rules of hiring that, when followed, can take you out of vicious hiring cycle and get you the right employees that will make your small business successful. Listed below are the must-do’s for hiring.

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...mall-business/
I would also add that paying employees minimum wage can cost you in the end. Sometime paying more for a reliable employee actually saves you money.

Old 25th March 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
I would also add that paying employees minimum wage can cost you in the end. Sometime paying more for a reliable employee actually saves you money.
I complete agree. If you have found the right employee do not hesitate to pay more. It will pay you back, and some more, in the end.

Old 26th March 2013, 03:00 AM   #4
michaelknulst

Send a message via Skype™ to michaelknulst

This article is really helpfull. My experience with finding and hiring great employees is very diverse after many years of recruiting all kinds of professionals. In order to hire the best, you have to become the best employer in the eyes of your current staff and off course the new ones to be. This not only has an interesting effect on your employees, but also towards your customers. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

michaelknulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Angel, do you have any other good advice?

Old 27th March 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Rachel S

Default when hiring new employees

As a small business owner myself, I find that my employees do really well with structure, from the start I let them know by a outline what I expect.
I give them a task list daily extra from their regular tasks, I never hear I board and they also get the satisfaction of accomplishment this also helps take the stress off my plate.
just thought I would share what is working for me!!

Rachel S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel S View Post
As a small business owner myself, I find that my employees do really well with structure, from the start I let them know by a outline what I expect.
I give them a task list daily extra from their regular tasks, I never hear I board and they also get the satisfaction of accomplishment this also helps take the stress off my plate.
If you give them boring task, they don't say I'm bored?

Old 1st April 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel S View Post
Rachel - Thanks for sharing your experience. I would also suggest that you give them freedom to decide HOW to get the tasks done. When you dictate all the steps of the task you may not get the most creative solutions out of your employees. Tell them what needs to be done and when and let them come up with ideas on how to accomplish it.

Old 1st April 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertDisuza11 View Post
How committed are your potential employees? Why are they excited to work for or with you? You want to know about their work ethic, their honesty and their attitude. Ask them questions on work culture. Force them to express their likes and dislikes, the things they're passionate about and the things they want nothing to do with.
Albert - Excellent points. Thanks for bringing them up.

Old 1st April 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
Angel, do you have any other good advice?
You might also be interested in this article I wrote on qualities to look for when hiring a small business manager. Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...iness-manager/