Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2012, 10:14 AM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Great Employees Are 10X As Valuable As Good Ones - How To Find One

A great employee can contribute to your business that 10 good employees combined cannot do. Behind a successful business owner there is a strong lieutenant who stands by him every step of the way and is not afraid to give right advice even if it means disagreeing with the owner. If there is one thing you must do to succeed in your business it is to hire great employees, even if it means paying more, and give them freedom to do the best. The return you get from them makes it more than worth.

Of course, hiring great employees is easier said than done. But it is possible to do it and it starts with spotting the right person. You first need to understand what sets great employees apart from the mediocre ones. One hint it all starts with attitude. You can teach old dog new tricks, but you will not be able to straighten its tail, as the saying goes in India. So what skills do great employees have that are not easily found in others?

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...w-to-find-one/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I've been both an employee and an employer. As an employer, I would say some attributes of a great employee are:

- Having a team mindset
- Valuing and embracing those actions that result in an expansion of the group
- Pride in a job well done
- Going above and beyond the call of duty when warranted, without contention and without being asked
- Offering workable suggestions that help to make things more efficient and expand the group
- Not complaining about undesirable factors, but helping to make things better when things arise
- Taking responsibility for one's job and willing to learn/do new things, adapting to changes as they are always inevitable

This is not a comprehensive list, just things I thought of. And yes, attitude is at the bottom of all of it.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor View Post
I've been both an employee and an employer. As an employer, I would say some attributes of a great employee are:

- Having a team mindset
- Valuing and embracing those actions that result in an expansion of the group
- Pride in a job well done
- Going above and beyond the call of duty when warranted, without contention and without being asked
- Offering workable suggestions that help to make things more efficient and expand the group
- Not complaining about undesirable factors, but helping to make things better when things arise
- Taking responsibility for one's job and willing to learn/do new things, adapting to changes as they are always inevitable

This is not a comprehensive list, just things I thought of. And yes, attitude is at the bottom of all of it.
Nice additions, Denise. Thanks.

Old 24th July 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
ReganP

I think being intrinsically motivated goes a long way too. There are certain people who, no matter what the job is, they always want to do it well. Those are the people who will always put in a little extra work when it's needed and will be actually interested in the success of the business.

Old 24th July 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReganP View Post
I think being intrinsically motivated goes a long way too. There are certain people who, no matter what the job is, they always want to do it well. Those are the people who will always put in a little extra work when it's needed and will be actually interested in the success of the business.
Regan - Absolutely true. Just like kids if you have to push employee every step of the way he / she is not going to put that extra effort needed to be great employee.

Old 25th July 2012, 03:43 AM   #6
CrossCountry2

I think that giving clear directions to employees is paramount. If we define the goals of the activity, are clear about what not to do, or what ways of doing are bad ways, but give room for the employee to stretch him/herself, it is in our nature to want to excel and achieve a clearly defined goal. So, good bosses are more likely to get good employees b/c they help the employees to understand what they are trying to achieve and why they are trying to achieve this or that.

CrossCountry2 is offline   Reply With Quote