Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd November 2004, 11:27 AM   #1
rcarpadus

Question Phone books

Does anyone here advertise in their local phonebook (or has in the past) If so, what size ad, for how long, and what was the result? I am considering phonebooks as part of an overall on and off line marketing campaign.

rcarpadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd November 2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum rcarpadus!

Old 4th November 2004, 01:53 AM   #3
sasquash

Hi,

I used to sell yellow page ads for an independent phone book in Illinois. I would definitely recommend it for most businesses. Can I ask what type of business you have? The size of your ad should be determined by what type of business you have and what your competition is doing under your particular headings. For example if you own a pizza shop, a yellow page is one of the most important pieces of advertising, likewise for plumbers etc., because the first place anyone looks for this type of service is the phonebook. People who go to the phone book are already looking to buy they are just trying to find someone to buy it from. Certain information in your ad is key, example: Name, Logo, Address, Phone Number, Fax Number, Email, Provide a location map,Hours open, If people need to call to make an appointment, do you provide delivery, do you accept MasterCard/Visa,checks. Also list all of your services if you can, if there are too many than pick the most important ones and list those. If you don't say you offer a service than most people assume you don't and won't. Also yellow page companies are not known to be the best creative ad creators, if you want an ad that looks great, your better off to get the exact measurements of the ad you want to purchase and hire your own graphic designer to make it up. Most yellow page companies have no problem with this and should give you something off of the price of it since they don't have to design it. Also full color if you can afford it is the best, even if it means that you have to pick a smaller ad. Color is the first thing that gets attention. If you can't go color then try to pick one color like red or blue, there are many creative things that you can do with that. Ask your yellow page representative where your business heading ranks, there are surveys done that can tell you how popular certain headings are with consumers and whether or not they use the phone book to look for your particular service. Ummm, the only other piece of advice I can give you is bargain, bargain, bargain with the sales representative. Yellow Page ads are highly competitive, especially if there is more than one phone book in the area, try to go with the one you think people are using the most, and bargain the price down, yellow page ad people love to make deals. Stick to your guns. Free Color, A larger ad size, 1/2 off the ad are some of the deals I used to make. I would also advise before you meet with the representative, look at last years phone book at other business similar to yours and see what kind of ads they put in last year, this will give you a good idea of what you need to do. However, remeber, even if a competitor has a huge ad that doesn't necesarily mean you also need a huge ad, sometimes a small but more creative ad will have a much better impact. Oh, and I in addition to the ad would get a bold listing in the Business White Pages, that helps people who already want to buy from you, find your number easily. Well, that's about all the advice I can think of, I better end this before I write a book.

Jodi

sasquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2004, 11:00 AM   #4
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Depends on what kind of business you have. For us (Search Engine Marketing/Web Design) we only have a free listing and phone number so if someone can find us if they already know who we are and they simply forget our number.

For our type of business, I just don't think too many people look in the phone book and if they do, they'd probably call one of the guys with the huge ads which for us are way to costly.

Old 4th November 2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Robert
Administrator

Wow Jodi, talk about a great first post!! Thank you for the excellent information.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 5th November 2004, 05:20 PM   #6
StupidScript
Administrator

Welcome to the forums, Jodi and rcarpadus!

Our company (criminal defense law) uses ONLY two means of advertising: Internet and paper yellow pages display ads (about 1"x3", 2-color). Other advertising mediums have just not done anything for us (bench ads, magazines, television, radio, etc.)

Before we started doing Internet advertising (when I came onboard), we only used the yellow pages, which did a pretty good job for us. Once we began Internet advertising, it quickly moved past the successes of the yellow pages, and proved to be a significantly hhigher ROI.

Today, about 60% of our business comes from the Internet, and the rest from yellow pages. We have expanded our yellow pages spend because the returns are so consistent.

I think it really does depend on the industry.

Last edited by StupidScript; 5th November 2004 at 05:24 PM.
StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Richey

Hmm... I was thinking of doing a print ad for us, but I can't seem to find anyone with any experience with either (for real estate). I definitely think that certain industries do better in printed medium than others.

Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2005, 11:16 PM   #8
goldenglobehost

Send a message via AIM to goldenglobehost Send a message via MSN to goldenglobehost Send a message via Yahoo to goldenglobehost

Phonebook advertising could be great or bad, it really all depends what business you are in and where you live. I would also put some money on the side from the advertising budget for the phonebook. Everyone has atleast one phonebook in their house. Phonebook advertising is big!

goldenglobehost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 01:29 PM   #9
Success

Send a message via AIM to Success

sasquash, could you please give us some examples of pricing to advertise in the yellowbook. Thanks

Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 03:58 PM   #10
copywriter

No doubt! Way to go, Jodi! Now we know who to call on if we ever have YP questions!