Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
marketinguy

Default Print Marketing

In this day and age, when small businesses can go global almost instantly via e-commerce, it seems as though "push" marketing strategies (print, billboards, soliciations) may be a thing of the past. Businesses are investing heavily in "pull" strategies (opt-in emails, CPC engines) to measure ROI more accurately and to ensure a targeted demographic. But what happens when you exhaust these avenues? Have you bought all of your keywords, and sent all of your emails? Where do you turn once you've reached your revenue plateau?

"Push" marketing, that's where. You have to go back to the roots of marketing, and instead of letting people search for you, you need to start searching for them. So where do you start?

I'd like to know what others may be doing for push marketing, and if they're for or against it. If you sell in the global market, how do you reach them without reaching too far into your pockets? Are the risks too high? Are magazines/journals effective? What's a safe bet?

Feel free to share any ideas, advice, or questions you may have.

Last edited by marketinguy; 30th June 2004 at 04:27 PM.
marketinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th June 2004, 05:14 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

In my industry (SEO/SEM) we are able to work with many web design firms that DO NOT do SEO/SEM but do not want to turn their clients away.

One of my projects here in the future is to develop a nice letter inviting local design firms to partner with us and mail this using snail mail. I did this when starting out with web design to ad agencies and formed a good partnership that way.

Just one idea. I have to admit thought that I haven’t had to "seek out" clients for probably the last five years. They seek us out.

Old 7th July 2004, 02:51 PM   #3
divshow
VIP Contributor

I have designed some brochures using Publisher and have purchased business cards and matching magnets from Vista Print. With every order I send out I put a brochure with my business card stapled and a magnet in the box right underneath the invoice. I have received a couple sales off of that, but I figure they may pass the brochure on to someone else and hopefully put that magnet on the fridge and will remember me when they need to purchase a gift for someone. I have also mailed brochures to people from my newsletter who have requested some.

Today I just finished doing a half page flyer that I will be sending to a woman I know from another group. We have agreed to swap flyers to put in each others orders. I would love to find more people to do that with!

Old 15th July 2004, 04:33 PM   #4
marketinguy

I've thought about doing a mini catalog, but it seems that for the cost of print, I can't ever reach as many people as I can with the internet.

I know print marketing is fairly risky because its virtually immeasurable. You have to have a unique toll free number or a promotion code to be able to track sales from print.

Snail mail may actually be the most cost effective way of reaching people. The downside to it is the cost of the printing, and the lack of credibilty from not being published in a widely distributed format like a magazine or a journal.

I guess if one really needs to get into print advertising, one must "bite the bullet" and just spend the money. Now if only I could get magazines to drop their rates!

Old 21st July 2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Robert
Administrator

OWG came up with a great idea regarding co-op advertising that deserved it's own thread because it can cover much more than just print marketing. The new co-op thread is here:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...read.php?p=638

Old 21st July 2004, 10:12 PM   #6
Robert
Administrator

One print source that I use regularly to look for services is our local community newsletter.

I've given up on the yellow pages. We get so many and I can never tell where the businesses are located.

With our community newsletter, I know the businesses that are advertising in the newsletter are in our area. This was especially helpful when we first moved to this part of town.

The best ads are those with web site addresses so I can go to get further information.

Old 24th August 2004, 03:52 PM   #7
StupidScript
Administrator

As a criminal defense law firm, we are not allowed to contact people using direct mail, telemarketing, etc. They need to come to us, or we're busted.

It's not completely out of the question to go "ambulance chasing", however ambulances are probably not carrying our potential clients.

We use Internet-based advertising (PPC, links, online yellow pages, etc.), using about 40% of our ad dollars.

The other 60% is spent on business cards, brochures to be placed at related POPs, like bail bondsmen offices, and for print yellow pages purchases ($$$). There is something to be said for building brand awareness, particularly for an "emergency need" business like ours, however we have found that the expense of maintaining campaigns strictly to develop brand awareness outweighs the return we get as a result.

For us, having a presence in the right place at the right time is critical. When people need a defense attorney (arrested, accused, appealing, etc.), they look for one. What brand awareness we have is built at that time through search result saturation and good ad copywriting.

I wish it 'twer different, believe me!

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2004, 04:00 PM   #8
marketinguy

Wow, that's a remarkable perspective. Thanks for sharing StupidScript, I'm glad to have such a unique viewpoint on branding. I work in a lot of expectant parent retail, so I can't say we're an "emergency need" business, though for some we may be!

Old 24th August 2004, 04:57 PM   #9
StupidScript
Administrator

On a side note, we published a magazine (CriminalDefense Weekly) for a little over a year, distributed via free email subscription, posted on one of our websites, and in its sole "year-in-review" printed form at the POPs mentioned earlier. We hoped to boost our brand awareness and authority, generate links-in, and spread good word of mouth with that endeavor.

We got the links and a certain level of profile within the criminal defense professional community, but the project was a total wash with regards to generating income for the company.

We are always seeking ways we could have done better and new ways to reach our prospective customers. And it's a full-time challenge.

(Hmmm...I think I see something I did not see before: The goals I listed above do not include "getting more paying customers"! That seems like it should be #1, if that's what we were hoping for, doesn't it? Hmmm...)

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 08:09 AM   #10
copywriter

As stupidscript pointed out, print marketing is becoming all about targeting. Yes, in previous years, we all did our best to get our printed message in front of the right people, but with costs getting higher and higher (for color, for postage, etc.) the best returns are being found when the market is narrowed.

One resource you might want to look at is Target Marketing Magazine's online site. They have excellent resources and information pretaining to direct marketing of all types.