Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
rpf_81

Default Mail Advertising..

Do you really think mail advertising really helps build up business..?? Every time when I open my mail i find atleast 200 to 300 emails.. All sorts of advertisements.. I dont know how these people get my mail.. They keep pouring in, too annoying I feel...

rpf_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th November 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Thuva

Good point! Remember, as many marketers turn to online marketing, offline marketing world becomes less crowded.

This is a big opportunity for smart marketers. You can use postcards, direct mail, display ads and classified ads in magazines and newspapers to generate leads and get new customers.

Thuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 04:48 AM   #3
veronica

Mail advertising do help in build up business. They also help in sales lead generation.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 05:59 PM   #4
adbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuva View Post
Good point! Remember, as many marketers turn to online marketing, offline marketing world becomes less crowded.

This is a big opportunity for smart marketers. You can use postcards, direct mail, display ads and classified ads in magazines and newspapers to generate leads and get new customers.
wow this is a very good point, I'm glad you brought it to light!

rpf_81,

It's one of my work responsibility to manage email newsletter campaigns. We have about 1,000 collected email addresses and about 300 of them end up checking their email. About 40 on average click through to our conversion pages. That is a 4% lead conversion rate rate... for sending out an email once-twice a month.

So yes email marketing IS successful, about as successful as everything else but cheaper. But there is a catch! and that is collecting the emails. This is tough work and it requires offering services to collect the emails.

Like this: someone wants us to send them samples of our work, so they can look over it, follow through, or not follow through. This cost us money in postage to send to them over the mail, but in order for them to request a sample packet, they have to submit to us their email, which we add to our database.

When we send them emails we give them the option to unsubscribe. We use the company constantcontact.com to handle our email advertising programs.

adbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 03:05 AM   #5
benniegriffey

Well i don't think so it is a very good idea
because most of us keep deleting these random emails which we receive from random people, we don't even bother having a look at it so marketing through mails doesn't suits me

benniegriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Coffee

I didn't emails I don't know. But I must say when I get stuff in the mail box, I do look through it. It's a change from the bills.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Anelly

I really don't use e-mail sending in my marketing strategy. I think people these days are "spam blind".

Anelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 06:23 PM   #8
HowardAM

rpf_81,
I have a similar background as Adbox can attest to email marketing working. The simple mistake most people make about email is that you send it too often to people and they just delete. In fact, it has been proven that email unsubscribe rates are more tied to relevancy (how much their users want to hear your message) than frequency

HowardAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:26 AM   #9
jem

If you are using double opt-in and people actually want your email it can be devastatingly powerful.

You need to make sure you are sending them things of value, not just pounding them with offers.

Simon

jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Tim Schaefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferlinn View Post
For this purpose companies mostly use Email Extractor software which harvest e-mail addresses and user names from the web sites you define (or those found basing on keywords) and using http and https protocols.
Wait... so a company uses a program, searches websites that fit a certain keyword(s) and then extracts the email addresses found on those sites.

Then, they send emails to these people to market a product or services.

Sounds like spam.

Tim Schaefer is offline   Reply With Quote