Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Information To Include On Your Business Card

This is a good "refresher article" on what to include on your business cards by Erin Ferree from elf-design.com.

"The logo and graphic elements that you include on your business card are quite important, but having the right text and contact information on the card is equally important.'

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/000893.html

How many of your feel that your business card is essential to your business? What do you have on your business card that makes your card unique to you and your business? Have you gotten many customers from a business card?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th March 2005, 09:07 AM   #2
audio'connell

Send a message via AIM to audio'connell
Default Taken for Granted

It is amazing how many people take for granted the business card design and content.

I've had more business cards than I care to count. Some companies that I've worked for had NO clue what a great design was important to a card. Staff would hand out cards and there would be no reaction...like getting a number at the meat counter in a super market...very ho hum.

Then I;d suggest a redesign, show the elements that would be included and then get a great designer behind the card and then....sales magic. People LOOK at the card, people READ the card the card has information but its also like a great art piece. I've spent a lot of money on cards and not so muich money on cards. The card I have now is two color (so not a ton of cost) and I always get a "nice card" etc. People hold on to it.

Content is always important but I value creative even more....readable, usable creative but creative.

Jeff Gitomer is a sales motivator/advisor and he has made coins with his business information on it...not paper, coins ! That's thinking outside the box.

BTW, the coins represent the money he will be giving/making for his customers, as I recall.

Old 14th March 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Linda
VIP Contributor

I agree and creative cards with all the information you need are the ones which definitely are the keepers. I really like cards with a cool logo or font on it or: it makes them "fun" to look at. My dad was a printer for 40 years so I have seen a million business cards and he still has some of the cards he thought were interesting.

Old 15th March 2005, 08:39 AM   #4
NurseKate

Question

Just as a background, my company teaches CPR and First Aid to both laypeople and professionals.

I'm thinking about printing on both sides of my cards. One side will be the typical business card info, and the other will be the steps of CPR. (In a very simple A, B, C format). I'm hoping this will get people to keep the card in their wallet or close by. What do you think?

NurseKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 08:48 AM   #5
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I got one of my first customers as a result of my business card, well almost. I was working a trade show and got to talking to the guy next to me and handed him my card. We later developed a site for him and eventually marketed it on the search engines. He is still a client today - 7 years later!

Definitely place your URL on the card. I used to see so many with no web site URL.

Oh and NurseKate - that is an excellent idea about placing CPR tips on back of card.

Old 17th March 2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseKate
I'm thinking about printing on both sides of my cards. One side will be the typical business card info, and the other will be the steps of CPR. (In a very simple A, B, C format). I'm hoping this will get people to keep the card in their wallet or close by. What do you think?
Yes, that is a great idea because in addition to in a wallet, people could put it on the fridge, tack it on a bulletin board, etc.

Old 13th March 2006, 06:27 PM   #7
2Locals.com

I put what my website can do for your business on the back of the business card.

Just to remind them (in case they forget) what the website is all about.

I also prefer matte type of business cards since people can write on, take note things like "buy from this place"

2Locals.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 06:56 PM   #8
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Excellent idea. That's the type of thing that creates long-term customers!

Old 27th April 2006, 09:34 PM   #9
scottco

Default business cards are often overlooked

I agree with comments here.

Cheap business cards are seriously overlooked by small-business owners because they seem so tiny and powerless. They often seem only as the must-have if you have a business, so folks get them printed, but don't really think about the best ways to use them.

But business cards are your best friend.

There are many things that you can do to make them work more effectively:
- add color (photos of "before and after" things for service businesses work well)
- make them magnetic (put a calendar on them -- folks like this -- and will hang on their fridge)
- use the back side (what you don't have room to put on the front, you can write on the back -- printing on the back is usually very inexpensive)
- write a personal note on them -- sign your name, say "hello"... all of that makes folks keep them longer.
- use them as a coupon for the first purchase "save 10% on your first purchase with this card" -- even if you hand-write it.

Don't overlook the power of your business card, or the investment you make to print them.

Last edited by scottco; 27th April 2006 at 09:44 PM.
scottco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Alta

Send a message via MSN to Alta
Thumbs up

Nice info,had a card for my showroom but for the new website thing i had been thinking about it and looking at the cards i had of customers or business partners.

But the above info in the thread and the article is very good and something i will keep in mind when i design and place the order for the new cards.

As always great website and good info here.

Alta is offline   Reply With Quote