Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you consider Coffee Cup advertising for your business?
yes 29 65.91%
no 15 34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th November 2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Whitecastle

Grate Idea! Good luck with it

Whitecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:07 AM   #22
multimediocrity

I think it'll work. This was my idea. DARN IT!

multimediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 08:44 AM   #23
kimbalcl

Default Disposable goods advertising in retail

I have an idea I am working on that is similiar to this... instead of marketing to restaurants, though, we are targeting retail stores. The idea is that we can get the product on retailers shelves for next to nothing, retailers can charge drastically less than what is currently on the shelf for things like disposable cups, plates, even paper towels, and we make our money through ad sales.

Only problem is there is no market research out there that says whether or not people will tolerate additional ads in their home... I would appreciate the forum's thoughts.

Thanks!
Chase

kimbalcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 07:50 AM   #24
DanWilliams

We also give coffee mugs out to clients..."after" they've become clients... and as part of a "new client" welcome package. I can't imagine why our logo-phone#-usp message..on a coffee mug would ever motivate someone to call us for insurance.Maybe your business would be different. I get better results spending my marketing$$ elsewhere.

One cheap freebie we have good response to is a magnetic "to do" list....they only have 50 sheets and a reminder at the bottom...call Williams Agency for more free "to do" lists. Can't say that they've generated direct sales but they've created more "buzz" than any other promotional items we've used.

DanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 11:14 AM   #25
Bugman

There's a business here that does something similar to what you are talking about. They are a relatively new start-up I believe. They partnered with a local coffee chain that has a few locations here, maybe 3-4. The customers sit and drink their coffee in a porcelain coffee mug in the dining room. The advertising company sells 6 small ads to put on the mugs for about $365 each. The coffee shop gets all their mugs for free and they are replaced annually.

I didn't go for it, but I'm sure someone will.

Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 12:48 PM   #26
blackhorse1

It seems like many of the posters in this thread are not clear as to the actual advertising medium you are describing. My understanding is that it is NOT a "promotional product" ceramic coffee mug - but the disposable paper cups from espresso stands, etc. Is that correct? A novel idea - and one that could probably work well in a metro area with innumerable coffee stands. The main concern I see - from an advertiser's standpoint is the simple question - "Do I want my ad on something that is going to be thrown away right away?" The repeat impression value is pretty good for the repeat coffee buyers, so that may offset some of the above question.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

blackhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:51 PM   #27
DBeavers

No Bill,

Many people are doing the imprint on the long-term ceramic/porcelain coffee mugs.

With the basic white mugs, they can get 144 mugs with a one-color imprint on both sides or wrapped around for about $1 apiece.

I sell a lot of ceramic/porcelain/ironstone mugs, as well as the plastic, acrylic, and stainless steel autos mugs, but I have yet to sell a co-op order with 6 to 12 or more ads on a mug.

That isn't my market, although some people seem to like working that way.

Before I'd sell one of my clients a small listing on a mug shared with 5 or more advertisers for $395, I'd suggest they order one or two gross with only their imprint to distribute to their clients and/or best prospects.

With over 750,000 different products that can carry my clients' logos, coffee mugs aren't necessarily the best option for most of them. I'm not about to limit myself to just selling embroidered apparel or co-op ads on coffee mugs.

Dennis

Old 2nd December 2010, 02:12 AM   #28
cup advertising

Smile Coffee Cup Advertising Australia

Hi, I see your post, how is your business going? I have also just started my takeaway disposable paper coffee cup advertising business in Sydney Australia.
I believe it's the same in US. But I think we need to find medium or established businesses with a regular advertising budget. Like to hear more of your stories. Cheers.

cup advertising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 12:34 AM   #29
DBeavers

Default Coffee cup advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup advertising View Post
Hi, I see your post, how is your business going? I have also just started my takeaway disposable paper coffee cup advertising business in Sydney Australia.
I believe it's the same in US. But I think we need to find medium or established businesses with a regular advertising budget. Like to hear more of your stories. Cheers.
If your post was directed to me, my business is going well.

I have sold both disposable and ceramic/porcelain coffee cup to individual businesses to use in their promotions. The disposable cups carry their single ad, which they use when they set up at health fairs and medical conferences. So, their cups are targeted to both their customers as well as the select group attending the different conferences and health fairs.

I've sold many orders of plastic and stainless travel mugs as an upscale cup that their customer can use at Starbucks or other coffee shop and carry the logo'ed mug with their ad as they get their cup to work and back home again. Since designers and other retailers are selling similar travel mugs with their logo at $10 to $20 each, the recipients typically appreciate the expense my customers go to in order to provide them the same as a gift.

I personally give away nicer mugs to my better clients at least every other year and know many are used on a regular basis. I'm into long-term relationship selling, with many established clients who have been ordering their promos from me for 10 to 26 years.

Mugs aren't necessarily the best promo item for every business, but they are one good option for repeat exposure for a one-time expense. Compared to a business spending $160 to $200 for a one-time newspaper ad, they can get a gross of ceramic or porcelain cups with their imprint front and back. Now, that spells repeat exposure for those customers who use them.

And with over 750,000 items to choose from, the promotional advertising industry has a lot to offer..

Dennis

Old 9th December 2010, 01:28 AM   #30
cup advertising

Default coffee cup advertising

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you are doing well. I only do paper cups. And find it can be for both midium/large business as well as for small business. Hope you have a great X'mas and very happy new year.

cup advertising is offline   Reply With Quote