Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th March 2006, 10:05 PM   #11
NMNS

im starting a computer/ security and networking company here in the middle Tn area and was wondering if the phone book would be right for me?

NMNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st April 2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Brian McClemens

Default Thoughts from a recent round table discussion...

A couple of weeks ago I attended a round table discussion about advertising, specifically as it pertained to real estate, construction and building materials suppliers. The overall feeling was that everyone should have a listing in the business pages, but that a Yellow Pages ad was not as cost effective as they had hoped. It all came down to the product/service being offered.

Here is our top 5 in order of "success":

Food Delivery/Restaurants

Home Repair/Services (plumbers, landscaping, etc.)

Personal Services (salons, spas, massage, etc.)

Entertainment (theaters, clubs, etc.)

Professional Services (health, law, finance, etc. usually as a follow up after personal recommendations from friends/colleagues.)

Please note that this was the simple result of our discussion focused on real estate development, sales and construction and we had no impirical data to back it up.

Cheers -

Brian

Brian McClemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 01:08 PM   #13
blackhorse1

Post Yellow Pages Opinion

Brian's comment is very true. While it is true that EVERYONE has a phone book, it has been my observation that - by the time a consumer has decided to actually CALL a business, they pretty much have made up their mind who it is that they are going to call. So - that makes the actual listing the most important feature. I would recommend possibly a BOLD listing, but unless your business is a pizza delivery, attorney, or towing company, save your display advertising money and use it in the newspaper or on the radio.

blackhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 10:28 AM   #14
ad-vice_man

Obviously whether to be in the phone book is going to depend on what kind of business you're in but ask yourself this question.

When is the last time you looked in the phone book for something?

For most business a highlighted or featured listing is all you really need because you should be doing more targeted media as well and the highlighted listing will make your company pop out.

What might that targeted media be? It depends on your business.

ad-vice_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 11:20 AM   #15
pete
VIP Contributor

A Yellow Pages ad can be successful for any business. I just has to be well done.

With some credit to Dan Kennedy, I'll hit the highlights and tell of my personal experiences.

First it should not look like a YP ad. Most are so ho-hum they look like they were cranked out by the same few people - which they were. The YP salespeople write many of the ads. Keep in mind they are salespeople, not copywriters.

And don't believe that the ads have to look any particular way. Other than some obviously forbidden words, you can do anything in the YP you can in any other print ad. You want yours to stand out, not just be another listing of the brand names you sell, or the services you offer. Becoming the focal point of that page is you objective.

Several personal examples -

Some years ago I had a small regional chain of auto parts stores. I had a new store open about a month or so before the new phone book came out. I will never forget the first day those books started being delivered! Suddenly the phones in that store went from collecting dust to ringing off the hook. And I am talking literally here. From virtually zewro phone calls to 25 or 30 the first day the books were out. That Saturday they rang all day. No one can ever convince me the YP don't work.

Several years later, in order to get a bit of a different twist to what had become a standard practice, alongside the obligatory logo of the assorted credit card logos I added a box with a bold border and in bold type "We Also Accept Cash!"

It may have been too successful. We'd sometimes get phone calls just asking if we accepted cash and then saying something like "Hah-hah" or "Just checking". But, the percentage of real retail telephone buyers that mentioned us taking cahs was proof again of how well YP can work, if you have something unusual.

Naturally, over the next few years all of the other auto parts stores added the same message, so it lost it's effectiveness, but for a couple of years just that little message made a difference in my favor.

So, I know from personal experience that the YP does work. After all, would all those lawyers be throwing away thousands a month if they didn't?

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 11:16 AM   #16
earlpearl

Wow:

I wish I had seen this thread a few years ago. Specifically the early post by Jody suggesting you could negotiate prices on ads.

Next time around I'll be sure to give that a try.

My business did very well with the YP for years. Over the last few years leads from YP have melted away as the web has become the dominant source of leads for our business.

We are currently in about 17 YP books covering a metro region. W/ YP shrinking in value I'll be looking to reduce coverage and/or reduce costs next time around.

Dave

earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 03:24 PM   #17
ad-vice_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlpearl
Wow:

I wish I had seen this thread a few years ago. Specifically the early post by Jody suggesting you could negotiate prices on ads.

Dave

Yes you can negotiate anything in life, it just matters sometimes whether or not your willing to take the time.

Yellowpages can still be viable for some businesses mostly the emergency service type businesses, but most can probably do better elsewhere. My clients tell me that the majority of the calls they get from yellowpages are people price shopping, you see in the yellow pages you're listed right next to all of your competitors. If you are the low cost providor then the yellowpages can be a great place to be. Otherwise, it's often better to advertise in a more active medium.

Old 18th July 2006, 10:32 AM   #18
EASJennifer

Send a message via AIM to EASJennifer Send a message via Skype™ to EASJennifer

I've recently decided to take the plunge into Yellow Pages. What decided it for me? My company was featured in the paper, and they gave no contact information, so potentials couldn't even look me up in the yellow pages and call me.

I called up to enquire about rates and in order to put a 1/2" ad in two different books, it was going to cost me about $500. I then started bargaining mode I told him I'd place an ad in the one and just a bold in the other to save some money, and I wasn't sure how much business I'd get from the second.

After about 15 minutes, I got a 1/2" ad in both phone books for $327.

We'll see how it goes, the first book comes out in August and the second one will be out in Feb.

I don't think having an ad in the yellow pages can hurt you, you just need to pick your category very carefully and work on the wording. I'll let you know how it goes when the book comes out.

EASJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 11:30 AM   #19
ad-vice_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASJennifer

After about 15 minutes, I got a 1/2" ad in both phone books for $327.

We'll see how it goes, the first book comes out in August and the second one will be out in Feb.

I don't think having an ad in the yellow pages can hurt you, you just need to pick your category very carefully and work on the wording. I'll let you know how it goes when the book comes out.

That's a fantastic deal for this year... the challenge is going to be next year. Yellow Pages reps (historicly) only get paid on what they up-sell you. So next year they'll come out with a new category that "you have to be in" , They'll try and sell you color, and a larger ad. The person you dealt with this year will likely not be the same one that will contact you next year. Next year you will most likely be contacted by a highly trained, high pressure salesperson. Just a word of warning from my experience.

Old 12th September 2007, 10:22 AM   #20
Karlawmcdonald

I have took out an ad in our phone book/yellow pages.We have a new florist and it is an additional $21.00 a month ontop of my phone bill for 1 year.It is tax deductable and after looking through other florist ads only one (Kroger) had a box ad,I went with this because 1. it will stand out and 2. this is how I have personally looked for florist in the past.You can get ads that are cheaper but it is for a full year,next year I will probably drop to just the one line that is provided with my business line anyway,hopefully by then our name will be known enough not to have to push so hard.

I was told that a 3 line box ad was $19.00,the 5 line box ad I went with is $21.00..the more elaborate you go ofcourse the more expensive it is.Keep in mind,if its in your budget it is tax deductable.Good luck!

Karlawmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote