Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2011, 01:52 PM   #1
lenzcrafter

Default How Do I Optimise My Site For 2 Cities?

I have a site which ranks really well in Bristol for the following keywords; Driving Schools Bristol, Driving lessons Bristol and other various keywords.

I am looking to move to Bournemouth to work as a driving instructor.

The question is...can i optimise my current site to come up for driving lessons Bournemouth as well as the Bristol keywords??

If this is possible, would it damage my current rankings for Bristol?

And how would i manage to do all this?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Matt.

Old 21st March 2011, 01:48 PM   #2
540|SEO

I assume your are not talking about your Google Places listing, correct? If that's the case, yes you can optimize your site for 2 different cities in much the same way you did for your original city. Start by including both city names in your page titles and page descriptions. I'd also create 2 separate pages, one for each city location (obviously only include one city per page title and description for these pages). Try not to duplicate content on both pages. Write them separately so Google sees each page as unique content. You might try emphasizing different aspects of your service for each page, or if you're offering special discounts for your new city you can talk about them there.

After that, if you are doing any link building, promote each city separately i.e. one link for "City A driving lessons" and another for "City B driving lessons". This will be more effective than a link for "City A and B driving lessons".

Lastly, I would create 2 separate Google Places listings, one for each city. Have each Places page point to the city-specific landing pages mentioned above. Also, it's important to have 2 separate addresses and phone numbers for your Places page.

Hope that helps!

540|SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
innermountain

Along with what 540|Seo said, you're really targeting them as keywords as well - not just places. Make sure you have both cities in your title tags, have specific pages for each place (www.domain.com/nameofcity-driving-lessons.html as an example). And the advice about the links is good - make the anchor for each link refer to separate cities. Best of luck!

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:09 AM   #4
lordspace

you could also setup a new domain that's targeted to the new place.

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:41 AM   #5
LloydBurrell

Combine general information with specific names/places/trends in those cities. This may seem futile, but it really depends on how hard you're working on the structure. The more accurate the set of keywords relating to those cities, the better the results.

Old 29th March 2011, 06:47 AM   #6
B2Bexpert

that is easy like you did for Bristol, you just need to make a new page for new location and place your new keywords on it.

some thing are important while doing this :

1) Make sure you have adds keywords in your inner page
2) Keywords in title and description as you have done for Bristol
3) content
4) links

B2Bexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
jackienjoy

Smile Long tail keywords

You might be need to optimize your website for local people with long tail keywords.

I have doing SEO for my website www.soft124.com, Any comments or suggestions, feel free to let me know.

jackienjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 04:43 AM   #8
Designsmith

Hey!
Everything that has been added above will be fine - one one condition, and that is if your keywords are not too competitive in the new town.
If you have a lot of competing pages I suggest getting a brand new domain and starting that one from new. It will take a bit of an effort in the beginning, but eventually that new site will be very targeted to that exact keyword and you will dominate that first page.
Best of luck with it all.

Designsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 02:51 PM   #9
jsesic

In addition to the Google Place listings, which is a must, make sure you setup listings in sites like YP.com, local.com and the like.

jsesic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Print Republic

Get listed in local directories that helps too. Things like Qype, Welovelocal, Touchlocal, Yell, and any others specific to bournemouth etc. Google uses these sites to associate your business with a location so it can help with your rankings for a specific geographic location

Print Republic is offline   Reply With Quote