Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th January 2007, 12:58 AM   #1
jvance
VIP Contributor

Default Upgraded To Vista

So I jumped in and upgraded to Vista (latest version of Windows), and Office 2007 just before Christmas. As with any Microsoft software upgrade, now I have to upgrade my hardware. I have an 8 month old laptop (LG T1 Express), and I need to throw 2 GB of RAM into it so that Windows can run properly (the system came with 1 GB).

Here are a few things that I found interesting and some features that I like...

With a default install of Windows Vista Premium, and Office 2007, my RAM use was steady at around 750 MB. That is HUGE! Hence the need for an upgrade...

Windows Vista is very multimedia oriented. Thus, it requires a really good video card. I think the bigger the better. Minimum specs don't say it, but I would recommend 256 MB video if you can get it.

Here are a few features that I like:

Great new ALT-TAB feature - if you are used to navigating around your open programs with the alt tab shortcut, you will like this...when you press alt-tab, you see a screen shot of each open program. The same goes for when you "mouse-over" your open programs on your task bar.

Although it demands a good graphics card, I love the "look and feel" of Vista. The first time I saw it, I thought "man, that looks like a mac!", and it's true. Ah Microsoft...always playing catch up...

LOVE the new search feature. Finding files is way faster in Vista. However, the drawback is that it needs to "index" your files, so the indexing service "pins" the hard drive/ CPU when it is running. (very annoying when you are reading your e-mail etc...)

Anyway, all in all I am happy with the upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with a system older than 1.5-2 years old.

This got a little long...I will save my "Office 2007" post for a little later.

Has anyone else made the jump to Vista? What do you like / not like about Vista?

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th January 2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Very cool, thanks for posting that. Sounds like I'll need to do a good bit of upgrades to my machine to run it. Probably worth it though.

Old 20th January 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
wakes

it's a good one. love to upgrade too.

wakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
jvance
VIP Contributor

Wakes...welcome to the forum!

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the update. We are almost done selling the house in California and been thinking about getting a new system. We both have 1G Ram, 2.6G processor but my computer is really slow - using Office 2007. Outlook is just very slow. We have been looking at Dell but I wanted to wait and get a computer with Vista pre-installed.

The information re: the video card was very helpful. I usually skimp on this since I am not into computer games too much. We have been pricing them and hoping that the Quad Core will maybe come down in a few weeks

Old 20th February 2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

I just got a new computer with vista, and I'll say so far so good. Nothing needed regarding what's new, but it is fresh and a few things I like although nothing has struck me as 'new' ... although ......... I did notice that with firefox installed and using the Google search box from the browser ... Google Suggestions is automatically provided. Not a big thing, but the first time I have seen Google Suggestions used in an application by default. Maybe something I just never noticed before. Of course when you search Yahoo and others you don't have this sort of functionality.

Old 20th February 2007, 06:34 PM   #7
StupidScript
Administrator

An associate just called saying that he had successfully installed Vista Premium on one of his computers that he purchased in 2005. He upgraded his RAM to 2GB and installed a new graphics card with more VRAM that was recommended by Microsoft for use with Vista.

While the OS did complete its installation process, he has not been able to run it for more than a few minutes at a time because of crash/reboots. It seems that his motherboard or processor or that new RAM he bought or some other component is not "Vista capable", and he will need to purchase a newer system in order to be able to run that OS.

Due to various Microsoft protections, he is unable to re-install Windows XP without reformatting his hard drive.

I mention this as a warning to those of you who are considering upgrading an older system to Vista. If the system does not have a "Microsoft Vista Capable" label on it, there is an excellent chance that you will not be able to successfully perform the upgrade.

BEFORE you make the decision to install Vista on an existing system, you are STRONGLY encouraged to visit Microsoft's site and use the Vista Upgrade Advisor tool. It runs on Windows XP and some versions of Vista only, and it will scan your system (including any devices plugged into it, so plug them all in before you start) and tell you about the issues your older system faces. You cannot rely on the system requirements alone, because they are far too general to be of use.

Note that Vista is packaged on DVD only, so at the very least you will need a DVD-RAM drive, unless you have downloaded Vista and plan to install it from a hard drive.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 08:29 AM   #8
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Thanks for the info on Vista... I really had no idea what made it different from XP. Sounds cool enough but I'll stick with XP until I need a new system. Even though I already have 2 gb of ram (upgrade my laptop some time back) I don't like the thought of things not working properly. Heck, I have not even upgraded to FireFox 2.0 yet because I heard that not all the extensions work with it... and I need those.

I say, if it ain't broke, then don't break it!!!

Old 21st February 2007, 11:36 PM   #9
JWDesignCenter

Send a message via MSN to JWDesignCenter

I'm using the new office 2007, and although I love it I've had some problems with others not being able to open my files... so be wary of how you save your stuff!

Just wanted to add my two cents...

Old 22nd February 2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Microsoft provides a way for Office 2003 users to open 2007 products. When the user opens the file, they should be prompted to download the update. Of course, it is usually easier to save as a 2003 document.

(That Microsoft seminar did come in a bit handy afterall)