Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd September 2010, 10:56 AM   #11
MaineCopywriter

Before spending time on social media--which is about engaging with customers, not selling to them--I'd make sure their Google Place Page is complete (photos, videos, coupons, etc,) verified, and optimized for the best local keywords. People won't necessarily be searching their desktop computers for donuts. But they will be searching their smartphones and using Google text services to find nearby donuts, pastries, catering, etc.

Making sure you rank on Google Places puts you at the top of the search results for all searches, including mobile devices. So, you show up at the top when your customers need you most--when they're searching for you.

If you'd like to learn how to do all this on Google for free, you can get a report at FindMyBusinessNow.com

MaineCopywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Kyles0

Thank you all for the ideas. We have made signs and are including the twitter and facebook in any real world promotions we are using.

Obviously we are trying to create something engaging and that provides value to our customers. I have to say I really think social media can be effective for a local business, and probably receive better response rates than email. Currently I'm just struggling to get that initial mass so that we can run some campaigns via twitter. For example a special discount when you share your username, or retweet etc.

Thanks again though, I enjoyed reading the conversation. It was helpful.

Kyles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 01:49 AM   #13
Entreprenette

Hi kyles0

My name is Jo Barnes and after recently researching how to get a fan page built and promoted, I was bowled over by the extortionate prices people are charging. I presume due to the air of 'mystery' still hanging over fan pages.

So over the last few weeks I have been using and testing facebook and fan pages to what works and what doesn't and decided to record some FREE training videos on, Creating a Fan Page, Adding a List Building Landing Page including Video and Graphics, Promoting the Page and eventually Monetizing it. I also built a template to automate the creation of the landing page to get over the FBML coding complications for all us normal non-techie types!!

I'm in the middle of this series, and have released Videos 1 & 2, Video 3 should be available by the end of this week. I'm also holding a FREE webinar about the same tonight!

Anyway, if you'd like to have a look, it's all Free, no sales pitches or catches - (I'm just trying to build a reputation), then please go over to my fan page and check them out.

Regards

Jo

Entreprenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
DaphneM

In addition to the great ideas already presented, check out these 2 new emerging social platforms:

1. Foursquare.com
2. SCVNGR.com

They're great at "engaging" and allow the users to earn points and badges for checking into certain locations.

Really cool stuff

Last edited by DaphneM; 25th September 2010 at 05:25 PM.
DaphneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 07:53 AM   #15
BizDoc

I favor differentiating yourself. Have you considered setting up a router and advertising "free WiFi?" You can do wonders by setting yourself apart and providing unique value that cultivates loyalty.

Best of luck. You can find a lot of answers at the website below. And I also recommend Angelfire's site above as Harry and Sally publish a lot of really great content too.

Cheers!

BizDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 10:59 AM   #16
BluewaterDirect

I think this is a great question! If it were me, i'd use social media as part of an integrated mix of other local marketing tactics including direct mail and possibly some local radio promotions.

However, for social media, you'll want to do searches for users in different communities based on their location, and friend or follow those in your city. Also, some targeted social media advertising may be right up your alley.

You could also create a location-based network promotion, like FourSquare, and use that to offer discounts to people who "check in" to the donut shop, thus making more people want to stop on by!

BluewaterDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 04:37 AM   #17
howtofranchiseg

Have you listed your Donut shop in Google local listing? It helps a lot when people search locally for any Donut shop, Google will show your data so that people can easily reach to you.

howtofranchiseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:05 PM   #18
ResortMan

Social Media= Students get the students excited about the product it will start going up on news feeds make deals for students like 25% off if a team comes in or get the doughnuts in for breakfast at the local high schools with napkins that say all the social media sites

ResortMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:51 AM   #19
mktgbiz

Create a coupon for a free cup of coffee and a donut in exchange for signing up as a fan on the facebook page. The coupon will drive physical traffic and the NEW fans can be marketed to over and over.

Good luck!

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 07:55 PM   #20
rdcclu

howtofranchiseg and MaineCopywriter have hit the nail on the head. This is, bar none, step one.

Let me amplify on why...

1. Google Local (now Google Places) is putting more and more emphasis on local search.

a. Let's say the donut shop is in Escondido, CA. If someone who lives in the Escondido area types in "donuts" or "donut shop", there is a good chance that the Google Places map and listings will pop up, even though the search was not geo-targeted, i.e. "Escondido donut shop." Google is working on making this happen more often.

2. Google is also putting mobile search ahead of everything else. See the talk by Google's CEO in Feb 2010 in Barcelona. These searches will lead to a Google Places type listing.

3. A listing in Google Places is free.

4. They don't need a web site--just a physical address and phone number.

5. If the donut shop appears on the first page, the searcher is looking right at the web site, address, phone number, reviews and where they are on the map.

6. Most business owners do not have a clue how to get ranked on the first page of Google Places. It's not that hard once you know what to do.

7. Done right, they can appear on the first page for a number of keywords people would be typing in, not just "donuts." When you add it all up, there could be thousands of people seeing their listing every day.

So, by all means, utilize social media. But optimize a Google Places listing simultaneously.

rdcclu is offline   Reply With Quote