Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > eBay & Other Auctions & Marketplaces
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th September 2007, 12:01 PM   #1
lithos

Default Is There A "best" Day Of Week For Starting Or Ending An Auction

I have always heard that auctions starting or ending on specific days do better than the exact auction on different days. Is there truth to this? We have experimented with no clear results but have never been very scientific in our research.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th September 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I'm told there are better days (and better times of day) to end auctions, but I haven't experimented myself enough to be able to confirm those results.

This is from Skip McGrath's blog (he's an eBay powerseller):
Quote:
Q: When is the best time to start my auction?

The better question to ask is when should my auctions end. Deciding which day to start depends on the auction duration you select. Statistically auctions ending Sunday and Monday evening between 5PM-7PM Pacific Time (all eBay times are Pacific) get the most visibility and the highest number of bids. But this is not true of all products so it pays to test. For example, if you are selling something to retired people, they are online more during the day than in the evening. Students tend to be online between 3PM – 5PM. If you are selling something to a business, then the morning and early afternoons might be best.
HTH!

--Torka

Old 28th October 2007, 07:14 AM   #3
bukem

It's tricky and time consuming finding out. It also depends on the age of your target market. I have been selling on Ebay for a few years and my target age group is roughly teens to 20's. I have certainly found Monday, Teusday & Friday evenings a bad time to end my auctions. On average good times to end have been Saturday & Sunday around 12 to 1pm, and Thursday evening around 7pm.

bukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 07:49 AM   #4
mktgbiz

I've been selling on eBay for a few years now and in the winter time (end of November thru March) I like to end my auctions on Sunday evenings. The reason is - people have cabin fever and they get on the Internet in today's world.

Another confirming source for my theory is this. While visitng andf posting on other message boards I have noticed that Sunday evenings have the highest amount of visitors and members on the given site. And right at 10:00 (EST) pm on Sunday nights in the winter time is when it's the highest.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo that's when I like my autions to begin and end.

Hope that helps.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 04:49 PM   #5
lithos

mktgbiz we have noticed sunday evenings have worked well, we haven't tested to much though so it is good to know your propesctive.

Old 30th October 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
pete
VIP Contributor

Find a copy of Jim Wilson's Ebay Secrets. It's old, probably 5 or 6 years and don,t pay for it, there should be plenty of free copies around.

He covers this, as well as many other things that still are true. A real pioneer.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 07:06 PM   #7
bayinghound

We're ebay powersellers averaging 150 sales/month. We end auctions on Sundays and Wednesdays 5pm PST because this is when our target audience (mid-aged males) seems to bid most often. We have also experimented with Mondays (less action than Sun) and rarely if ever have sales on Fridays.

If you are looking to break into a market that already exists on ebay, watch a few auctions ending at different times and see what happens.

bayinghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 12:07 AM   #8
entreplanet.com

I have about 300 positive feedback. Here are my excperiences for best sales times:

- Never end auctions on friday or saturday. Everyone is out and about. They aren't at home on their computers.

- Never end auctions late at night or early

- The best time to end auctions is around 5-7 pm, when people come home from work or are about to leave

- Never start listings in the morning. Students have class, workers are working and most people are sleeping

- Space yourself out from other competitors. Don't post 1 minute before or after someone else with the same item, or you'll end up being a rebound and you won't get a good price for your item.

- Never do 7 day auctions or 10 days. Keep it 5 days. Most of the bidding is done the last 2 days anyways, so don't waste your time and money doing ridiculously long auctions.

I hope this helps!!

entreplanet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 11:20 AM   #9
Ofthemix

Lots of great responses on this thread. I'm personally a Skip McGrath fan and he recommends having your listings end on Sunday afternoon. Terapeak will back this information.

Ofthemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 01:49 AM   #10
multimediocrity

I believe this would vary depending on the product. Different audiences will need to purchase the items at different times of the week. Would a homeowner purchasing a shirt buy at the same time as an office purchasing supplies?

multimediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote