Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
chrismarklee
VIP Contributor

Default I Am #1 Now

It took a lot of work

New questions:
1. How do I slow down the juice on my web page?
2. How much juice do I add to my directory listings like Manta? I do not want them to pass my website
3. If I link my directory listing and my website on a blog, will equal juice go to both and my website does not lose?

Thanks in advance,

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:02 PM   #2
ChrisGregory

Not sure I understand all your questions but to answer number 3...if your blog is not a subdirectory such as blog.taxservice.com and is taxservice.com/blog then it resides at the root directy which is considered your main website. Incoming links from directories and blogs in most cases do not pass Page Rank as most are "nofollow links" however they do count as a links to your website which is a vote of authority for your overall website. Only if a site passes Page Rank would you care which page to pass it to thus building that pages Page Rank. For most small businesses it's about building the website as a whole.

Not sure I answered your question clearly but hopefully it helps.

Cheers.

ChrisGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:31 AM   #3
chrismarklee
VIP Contributor

This is one of my directory link:
http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...e.805-625-0796

I link to this in blogs to move up my listing?

Old 8th November 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
ChrisGregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismarklee View Post
This is one of my directory link:
http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...e.805-625-0796

I link to this in blogs to move up my listing?
I think I see what you are trying to do. You have the 1st spot and frankly several other business listing spots on that first page. Thats because there is little competition for the keyword I searched for Tax Preparation Fillmore. However, you don't have the second spot which is a business listing directory so you are trying to boost the merchant circle listing into that spot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I won't say thats a bad strategy however, I doubt it will effect it much. Google already knows that is your listing on Merchant Circle so you verifying that with links in your blog is sending juice and or traffic to that listing which you don't own. Has this strategy bumped the Merchant Circle listing at all?

Regardless I think you would be better served optimizing your Google Places listing. You don't have any reviews which are critical to optimizing Google Places. I would spend my time focusing on uploading more pictures and videos as well as getting your clients to get you a review so that when competition does enter that space you are way ahead of them.

Right now It wouldn't be hard for a competitor with an optimized website and Google Places account to challenge your top spot. Focus on these two areas and forget the rest IMO.

My .02

ChrisGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
AvidTexting

1. You never want to "slow down the juice" or in internet marketing terms, lower your amount of backlinks or slow down the amount of backlinks you're getting.

Even though you don't want to, if you're in a low competition search term, you can slow down your backlink building by a lot since you'll probably stay #1 regardless. Also there's technically no way to "slow down the juice", you either build more backlinks to your website or you don't.

2. You can add as much backlinks to other web properties that link back to your site as much as you want. It's actually good for your site because those sites will have more authority, and in turn link back to your site - which is a good and common practice in Search Engine Optimization.

3. Yes, it'll be spread evenly.

AvidTexting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 11:31 PM   #6
numeric

Having customer reviews on your site can boost it a lot. This gives you an authority figure and can help you get some traffic. But be mindful that the customer reviews on your products and reactions should actually be from customers.

Google counts these as one of the factors of rankings to go up. Plus, you are valued more by potential customers because they've read what other customers say about you. usually, people will count the comments of other customers first if there's any to be read.