Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th April 2015, 01:36 PM   #1
AGameTech

Default More Clients With Less Advertising?

Hello,

I am very confused as to why the less I advertise or market my company the more clients I get and the more I advertise the slower business gets? I am fairly new to owning my own company and had enough success to begin that I quit a job with Microsoft. Since then Ive had to reapply for a job for steady income, took a huge paycut and do something I have absolutely no interest in other than the paycheck every two weeks to keep bills paid. I have no overhead expenses and I either meet my clients or remotely help them. I started on craigslist repairing computers and have since added a few freelance web devs to help. I do both myself but because repairing computers takes up most my time with the business I contract out the design jobs.

I am now in the process of getting on google and every other search engine, built my site, business cards and flyers. Go door to door, car to car and meet people daily and it seems the more I do the less I get. I literally had three ads on craigslist and had 20 clients in a week. Since then maybe a 100 in the next few months.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

AGameTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th April 2015, 08:40 PM   #2
AGameTech

Almost 100 views and no one has anything to say?

Any experience with something similar? What works for you, what doesn't? Best ways to market/advertise? Experience with Google Adwords? Yelp Ads? Anything?

This is a Business Forum and I am sure some of you are successful, no?

Silence can only be heard with eyes.

AGameTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 09:09 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Yes, there are plenty of people here who have successful businesses. That means they don't have 24 hours a day to hang out in the forums answering questions.

Patience, Padawan.

Marketing is not a science. Yes, you can (and should) test things, but there are so many variables it becomes more of an art. There are no hard-and-fast formulas you can use. Instead, most of us end up using trial-and-error to find what works.

So, you tried Craigslist and it worked (once). That might be an indication that Craigslist is a good advertising channel for you, or it might have simply been coincidence. So run some more ads there. It's not as though it's going to break the bank. Do you continue to get a good response? Then keep running ads. Do the results disappoint now? Then maybe the first excellent results were a fluke.

If you're not getting results from door to door and flyers, maybe those aren't the optimal way to reach people who need computer services. To me, those seem like things that would be good to reach individuals. But if you really want to be successful, I think you need to be reaching out specifically to businesses.

They're the ones who have more computer gear, and more urgent needs to keep that gear up and running... and more need for design services.

For instance, how about reaching out to small business owners where for a (reasonable) monthly fee, you'll be their on-call go-to computer repair person? Many months, they may not need any help at all, or just some basic telephone support, so you could service a relatively large number of businesses. Plus, by having them on monthly (or annual) contracts, you would have a more predictable, steady income stream.

Thing is, you aren't going to impress business owners with flyers and door-to-door. They're busy people. You want to show that you're a "real" business yourself and that you respect the value of their time. So first identify businesses in your area that don't have someone on-staff who does what you do.

Then you want to contact them, maybe through LinkedIn? Maybe via a snail mail sales letter or other direct mail piece? Just a brief introduction. Tell them you'd like to talk more with them about their needs and how you might be able to help them save time, save money and run their businesses more efficiently.

And tell them you'll be following up. Then follow up with a phone call and try to set an appointment -- ask for a half hour of their time, perhaps.

Talk with them. Listen to what their pain point actually is. Do they need to keep older computer equipment running for as long as possible because they don't have the budget to buy new? Do they need someone to help them identify what new equipment to buy so they don't waste money? Do they need help with design projects? Do they want someone they can trust to call on when they have a computer emergency? Can they fix their own gear, or do their own design work, but find they're spending too much time on that so they can't work on other aspects of their business?

Whatever it is, show them how you can help.

And as you get one client who's happy with your work, ask them for a testimonial and for referrals to others who they think might benefit from your services. Offer them a discount or "finders fee" for every referral they give you who actually signs up. You could even give them brochures they can give to their colleagues that give the referral client a discount, too -- so they can be the "good guy" who gets discounts for their friends. Repeat with your second client, and your third, and so on and so forth.

Organic search results from Google and other search engines should never be your primary marketing channel. You want to devote the bulk of your time and attention to channels where you have some control. Remember, when it comes to search results, what Google giveth, Google can taketh away -- with no advance notice, for any reason, or for no apparent reason at all.

You do NOT want to spend all the time it takes to build yourself up in the search results, come to depend on the traffic they bring, and watch them all go away in an instant because Google's database had a hiccup, or they decided to change their algorithm to discount one of your primary optimization tactics.

Best of luck with your marketing! Please feel free to keep asking questions -- just have a little patience about getting an answer, please!

--Torka

Old 18th July 2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Comm Realtor

torka has great ideas.
I intend to review her many posts for ideas I can use.

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:27 AM   #5
mike_smith
Banned

Default Hello

I think Luxury Colorplan Business Cards is the best way to get more client with less advertise.

mike_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 04:10 PM   #6
CfDoodles

Torka def has some great ideas.

Here is the problem that I see with your business. This is just opinion, etc. It seems like most people have begun to treat computers as a throw away item. I will buy it for a couple hundred bucks use it for a couple of years. It becomes slow and they buy a new one.

There is still a population that uses computer repair shops. But I wonder if those are the same type of people using craigslist.

Where I think you could make money is where you are currently outsourcing. Developing websites, maintaining them, etc. Thats big business. And its the business that keeps on giving. One client to the next. They share how great you are.

You can also hook on some services such as maintenance etc. To build a subscription model.

Anyways just opinion.

CfDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 11:46 AM   #7
SeriousVanity

Another vote for Torka's advice here.

It's not that less marketing equals more clients, it's that with doing the right kind of targeted marketing, you have to put less work into it.

Let's look at that week where you had a big boom of clients all at one time. Who were those people? What were the commonalities between them? Was there a common problem that you were the quick solution to? I know "computer repair" is the solution, but dig deeper into that clientele to see what kinds of problems you were solving that week. What was needing help so quickly that seeing your Craigslist ad was the answer to their prayer?

Getting your name known in your locale is not a bad thing - I'm not going to completely discount the flyering, but it should not be your priority. Not everyone of those people is your ideal client - some may not even have computers. What a waste of time and resources!

But building your expertise in your locale, with inbound strategies like a blog on your website where you can answer questions or write keyword-rich articles about the kinds of repairs you do, is a much more targeted, evergreen way of building expertise and becoming top of mind.

Do you have a local newspaper or news website that could use a "Computer Tips" or "How can I fix this?" column? Just another idea to get yourself known as an expert in the area. Or make THAT the focus of your flyer:

"# out of # homes (or businesses) with computers will experience some sort of information breach this year - is YOURS one of them right now, and you don't even know it? Schedule a computer check up with (your business) at (your contact info) to set your mind at ease that your home (or business) is safe!"

"You lock your doors at night to keep bad guys out. Let me help you make sure the doors to your technology are locked, too, with my monthly check-in deal. For just $$ per month I can insure your data is secure, and your family can sleep easy."

Make something like THOSE the purpose of your flyer - not just name and phone number. Don't tell them who you are - show them what you can do for them. And find the right people. Look at the commonalities between the clients that jumped at your Craigslist offer, become the number one source for solving those problems and meeting them where they are.

SeriousVanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:41 AM   #8
Brooke.Harper

Great points made by, Torka.