Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Amy Brown

Send a message via Yahoo to Amy Brown Send a message via Skype™ to Amy Brown
Default Are Blogs The Best Way To Increase My Website's Rank?

I usually write blogs twice a day. At first, I had many ideas for blogs' topics that related to clothes for kids. My business is hand smocked clothing for children. I insert back link into anchor text. But it does not work.
I wonder whether I go wrong or there is another way to improve.
Please help me!
Thanks in advance

Last edited by torka; 25th August 2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Removed link - not allowed per forum policy, sorry!
Amy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:07 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

When you say it "does not work" what do you mean? What results were you expecting that did not happen?

It is not necessary to write a blog post twice a day for a blog to bring a benefit. In fact, that may be counter-productive, especially if it leads you to writing lower-quality articles in order to keep up with the quantity. It may be better to write fewer -- better -- articles.

A blog is not going to magically bring a benefit to your main website simply because it exists.

A blog can benefit your main website in two ways:
  • The blog can attract its own traffic. Some of those visitors may then click through and visit your main website.
  • The blog can pass through "link juice" to the main website, which could help the main site appear higher in the search results.

In order for either of these things to happen, you have to promote the blog. That is, you have to conduct outreach to attract links to the blog itself. Without high-quality editorial links (that is, links that you did not place yourself) the blog will not get its own traffic and it will have no "link juice" to pass along.

What have you done so far to promote your blog? What else besides creating a blog have you done to promote your main website?

--Torka

Old 25th August 2015, 11:30 PM   #3
dave101dave

It's great to write everyday consistently, but you don't need to post too much. You can have them all save as draft, and then just by the push of the button bring them live. When your posts are published and your writing improved, it will bring visitors, but you have to do most of the work, by syndicate them, create backlinks, etc.

dave101dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Amy Brown

Thanks alot, may be I have not known how many anchor texts in an article are enough, and sometimes I choose wrong key words.

Old 28th August 2015, 10:03 AM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Anchor text and keywords are almost certainly not the problem.

Frankly, it sounds as though you created this blog thinking that it would magically help merely by existing. It will not.

You must promote your blog for it to get visitors. Otherwise, it will not help. You must also promote your website by doing additional marketing, not just the blog. Simply creating a blog -- without additional marketing -- is not going to bring you the results you want.

What have you done to promote your blog? What have you done to promote your website (other than creating a blog)?

--Torka

Old 28th August 2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Amy Brown

Yes, besides creating blogs I have used other marketing tools: FB, GG, email marketing and other online ads.

Old 1st October 2015, 01:40 AM   #7
chrisjohn93
VIP Contributor

Try to post high quality and unique content, use high quality but low in size image in your post. Interlink all your post with each other.

Not always link back to your own website some times try to provide a link to high authority website like Wikipedia, wikihow, blog from high authority website, etc...

chrisjohn93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 03:23 AM   #8
Jan Godlewski

Blogs are crucial for website rank. Both your blog and other blogs. You should create valuable content (blog posts, video, interviews, case studies) for your blog, also focusing on seo (links, keywords, etc..). On the other blogs you musn't focus on valency so much as they are mostly for SEO - then only keywords and backlinks matters. To publish on other blogs you should find bloogers in your niche, ask them if they need a guest post and then show them the list of topics you created and wait for their choise.

Old 10th December 2015, 10:02 AM   #9
MyLaunchKits

Send a message via Skype™ to MyLaunchKits

I think the small business community has gotten a little "blog happy" in recent years to the point where I think the reason why it's so highly though of has gotten lost.

1. Blogs Help with SEO - While this is true, it's not a quick fix and it's not some magic secret. If you have a blog attached to your site that you update regularly you'll increase your reach slightly just by virtue of constantly putting new content out there. Properly used keywords and anchor text will certainly help with this but unless your blog gets popular in its own way simply having a blog won't make you shoot up the page ranks.

2. Blogs are Great For Small Businesses - For the reasons listed above blogs are certainly helpful. Also they allow you to establish yourself as an authority source on your industry, give you something enjoyable to work on when you're not otherwise working on your business, and perhaps most importantly they allow you to create meaningful, helpful content that you and your customers can share and spread on social media.

Blogs certainly can be wonderful but if you were hoping to write one and magically have it spread like wildfire that's not likely to happen. Consider your business of children's clothing. There are a million websites and blogs out there devoted to the subject and while yours might be just as good as any of them, you've got a lot of competition. It's going to be very difficult to get your blog a ton of traffic.

What you CAN use it for is to help educate and inform your customers. Make yourself an authority on the industry and make your website a hub of information. Ask questions in your blog like "How can I ...." because that's how many people search for things so you'll increase your ability to rank well in searches that way.

At the end of the day though your blog may not ever get very popular and you may never really know how much business it has created for you. In all reality your blog is not going to be the reason why your company makes one million dollars this year or closes. They're useful, but I think we may have all overstated their power. In closing, one of the main reasons why blogging is so highly though of for business is that it's a FREE way for you to work on your marketing and your reach. If blogging had a higher price tag attached to it, the small business marketing community wouldn't be so high on it.

Good luck!

MyLaunchKits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 02:11 AM   #10
Mike91

Default Blog will definitely increase your website ranking

Hi,

I have not read all the comments so I dont know whether these following reasons have already been shared or not,

Having a QUALITY blog will definitely increase website ranking.

How?

1. If you write a quality blogpost which is related to your niche/product/service, it will get you good amount of traffic which will increase organic back link, which is very necessary for a website to rank.

2. After writing a post share it with social media influencers. If they like it they share it, and you get more eye balls and eventually links from unique domains.

3. These links to your domain will provide SEO juice to your main website. and when users search for a product related to your website, it will get rank on 1st page.

What to write?

If you find a post which says "21 tips to.." you make a post which will say "121 tips to.." . This works, trust me. Yes this will take time, much time, but it will be worth your while.

These are some proven tactics, we sometime use it on our blog. ))

Last edited by Mike91; 18th December 2015 at 02:41 AM.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote