Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
RobinClapp

Default Newsletter for Vacation Rental - Need Suggestions

The latest trend for us vacation home Rent-By-Owners is publishing a newsletter a couple times a year.

I'm curious how all of you feel about the concept?

I've worked up a draft for my very first one that I feel is informative to my guest. And I was trying to keep the advertising to a minimum.

I was thinking about mailing it to past guests and to future guests. For future guests this newsletter will hopefully be very useful. For past guests I am hoping to spark new interest.

Question of distribution: Should I mail them to their homes? Should I attach it to an email as a pdf file? Should I do both?

I then want to add the newsletter to my website. I was also thinking of added a section to the contact me page asking if they want to be added to my newsletter list.

Any suggestion, please!

Also, I'm listing my draft newsletter below. I am not a writer, so any critique are very welcome, please.

Robin Clapp

Lakeside Promise News

What to know before you hit the road!

Call ahead for the latest NH statewide weather and road conditions. If you are outside NH, dial 1-866-282-7579, instate dial 511.

Tips for Traveling north to Lakeside Promise

NH Tolls:

Its finally happened; New Hampshire has joined 9 other states now accepting the EZ-Pass. For those with an EZ-PASS this eases the burden of toll travel. If you are not traveling with an EZ-Pass make sure you head toward the rightmost cash only tollbooth. On your trip north you will encounter 3 tolls in NH. The first on I-95 in Hampton NH charges $1.00. The 2nd and 3rd are on route 16, also know as the Spaulding Turnpike. Each of those charges $0.50 and are located in Dover and Rochester.

Pit stops:

After you have been driving a while you may want to make a stop to stretch your legs and hit the bathrooms. The Welcome Center in Seabrook NH is one of the cleanest facilities I have ever seen. And on a winter day, its the perfect place to warm up in front of their gorgeous floor to ceiling stone fireplace. Seabrook Welcome Center is the first welcome center encountered once entering New Hampshire traveling northbound on I-95. It is open year-round and 24 hours a day. Dont forget to stock up on brochures of interest while you are there!

Drive a couple miles past the welcome center and you will find the NH State Liquor store in Hampton. Same as the welcome center, the liquor store is a rest stop - you dont have to exit the highway. New Hampshire has no sales taxes making it a great place to buy your liquor and wine; the selection is huge. The store hours are 8AM 9PM seven days a week. Yes, you can buy liquor on Sundays in New Hampshire.

For those of you who have stayed with us in the past, you know that the grocery store options are limited. We are happy to inform you that a Hannaford Super Market opened up in Rochester January of 2006. As you are following directions to Lakeside Promise coming from I-95 north, taking Route 16 north, Hannaford is at Exit 14 (Ten Rod Road). Take a right off the exit. Go straight at the lights and the super market is on your right. To get back on Route 16 north, follow the signs for the Spaulding Turnpike North. Hannaford Supermarket is open Monday Saturday 7AM 11PM and Sunday 7AM 9PM.

The Music Review!

While most lake towns turn in early during the off-season, the town of Wolfeboro keeps the music going with Wolfeboro Folk, which runs autumn through spring. Shows are scheduled at least once a month at the Wolfeboro Inn beginning at 7PM. Get there at 5PM and enjoy a delicious dinner ahead of time. Upcoming events include Odetta on Sunday April 2, and David Francey in late April. Tickets average $15/person and can be bought online at [url removed] or by calling (603) 569-0997.

Moving forward to the hip and lively summer months of July & August, enjoy a free concert series every Saturday night from 7:30 9:30 at Cate Park in Wolfeboro. Bring a blanket and relax with the whole family. Venues have yet to be established. As the summer approaches try giving the Wolfeboro Chamber of Commerce a call for concert updates; (603) 569-2200.

Great Water Music Festival, found online at [url removed], is a non-profit organization setup to bring music and culture to the many that live and vacation in Wolfeboro. Ticket sales are intentionally affordable so all can enjoy. Performances take place on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee in an acoustic tent on the Brewster Academy campus during the summer months. The 2005 summer season included music such as broadway, symphony, folk, gospel, blues, jazz, and swing with most shows selling out weeks in advance.

Lakeside Promise Developments

When was your last visit to Lakeside Promise?

Our newest amenity is our high-speed Internet connection. Requested by one of our upcoming guests, we decided to sign up for one year on a trial basis. As we are new to this offering, we would like to inform those traveling with laptops that this is only a modem setup, no firewall protection is provided. Since this is a trial I would like to ask all of you that come to Lakeside Promise this year to provide me with some feedback. Please let me know if you used this amenity and whether or not it worked well for your needs. A simple email is fine. Responses will help me decide to continue this offering in the future.

We look forward to the rest of 2006. And hope to grab a few vacation days here and there at Lakeside Promise as well. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for topics to include in our next addition.

Happy Vacationing From The Clapp Family

See our website for the latest special offerings: [url removed]

RobinClapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th March 2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Robin. I would try both sending via email and to the home. Test to see works best, you may find doing both is the best solution or just one. Test for yourself is the best route imo. Regarding emailing, i wouldn't send as a pdf. I'd use a newsletter system. This can be used to add to your contact page so they can subscribe. A good solution is http://www.listcast.com/. You can use for a couple hundred subscribers for free, after that there is a cost and pro versions, etc.

I didn't get into reading your newsletter

Old 9th March 2006, 07:54 AM   #3
RobinClapp

Default I finished my newsletter

I posted the final version of my newsletter on my website:

http://www.LakesidePromise.com

And then I emailed them to all my past & future guests as a pdf file attached to an email.

I looked into the newletter programs but I thought it was more than I was willing to try at this time.

I had 50+ guest on my list so far. And every one of them received their contract as a pdf attached to an email. So I had confidence that this would be a good way to handle it.

Of course I mentioned in the body of the email, that they could also view it on my website if they preferred.

I plan to add the newletter to all future mailings. I send out a welcome package to all new bookings.

I'll keep you posted as to the success of this experiment!

RobinClapp is offline   Reply With Quote