Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2008, 06:57 PM   #11
changly

Google has explicitly stated at several conferences that it discounts (although maybe not entirely) links from Myspace because of the huge amount of exploitation that they were seeing. When Myspace changed over to use Google to serve and sell advertisement space on the site, Myspace changed its linking policy so that all external links go through msplinks.com which acts as a simple redirect server.

On my sites, I do see a fair bit of traffic from Myspace, but when I check backlinks on Google and a few others, myspace links no longer show up. It is possible that they still count, but my guess would be that they do not.

changly is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st February 2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Baselux

Quote:
Originally Posted by changly View Post
Google has explicitly stated at several conferences that it discounts (although maybe not entirely) links from Myspace because of the huge amount of exploitation that they were seeing. When Myspace changed over to use Google to serve and sell advertisement space on the site, Myspace changed its linking policy so that all external links go through msplinks.com which acts as a simple redirect server.

On my sites, I do see a fair bit of traffic from Myspace, but when I check backlinks on Google and a few others, myspace links no longer show up. It is possible that they still count, but my guess would be that they do not.

Links from myspace are counted as backlinks but it doesn't pass direct score over the site because it is only redirect to your site.

Baselux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Gary Luckner

I have read a lot of articles about this same subject. The link will definetly help with your ranking not much though, but a link is a link. When you look for links make sure the website does not have a no follow tag. If it does it won't do much for your rankings.

Gary Luckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Mindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Luckner View Post
I have read a lot of articles about this same subject. The link will definetly help with your ranking not much though, but a link is a link. When you look for links make sure the website does not have a no follow tag. If it does it won't do much for your rankings.
Maybe I already know this, but just don't know what it's called, but what is a no follow tag?

EDIT: Ok, I just did a quick google search and got this explanation:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/...ment-spam.html
Makes sense now :-)

Last edited by Mindy; 12th March 2008 at 11:35 AM.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 03:40 AM   #15
puti1

Default My experience with MySpace

I had a group on myspace for a long time now and have not really seen any backlinks when i use the yahoo siteexplorer to check. It appears that Myspace had implemented some sort of redirect script so that the outbound links go through another filter before they get rerouted.
Wonder if anyone got the same experience as me?

Last edited by puti1; 7th April 2008 at 10:22 PM.
puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 06:41 PM   #16
roof cleaning

I was told by someone really really good at SEO that MySpace links and Wikipedai really rock Googles world, as do you tube video's.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

They might have at one time but they use Nofollow tags on their outbound links now so no link popularity flows through them. (for google)

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 04:07 AM   #18
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

They may have the no follow tag which is not counted as an inbound however, you can still get traffic from myspace. "Any traffic is good traffic."

Old 11th April 2008, 08:30 AM   #19
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Totally agree about the traffic, you'll get some provided the pages in MySpace and the rest are popular.

That's a challenge with MySpace. Unless you spend a good bit of time developing friends there, there's no other advertising mechanism in place to draw people TO your page. On MySpace, it's your friend base that helps bring you eyeballs.

Wikipedia however, can be different. If you are lucky enough to be added to a page there, and it's a popular page in terms of visits, then you'll see traffic with absolutely no effort. You just have to hope what is printed about you is accurate.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 02:34 AM   #20
ideas2earn

A friend of mine just got his Myspace to rank as #2 under his own name by using it as part of the title of a You Tube video. He did this unintentionally but it worked. His name is not that unusual.

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote