Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2013, 11:58 AM   #1
hcmunch

Default Can You Pay For Feedback?

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in getting for feedback online from customers of my restaurant. How can we make sure that we get good reviews? Can we pay for them or maybe like free meals?

Thanks!

hcmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th July 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Mellisa Smith

To obtain customer feedback, you do not have to because customers write reviews for your restaurant only when they have experience with your restaurant. Most probably they are write review as per their personal experience. And always get good review from the customers is only possible when your services are great and the customer is not a single negative experience within the restaurant.

Mellisa Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmunch View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in getting for feedback online from customers of my restaurant. How can we make sure that we get good reviews? Can we pay for them or maybe like free meals?

Thanks!
I don't think it's a good practice to pay for good reviews. I think it's ok to ask customers to review you online in exchange for a discount without influencing what they write, but it would probably look bad if you asked specifically for good reviews.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
hcmunch

Thanks guys. I hear what you are saying.
Where is the grey area between outright paying and requesting reviews and giving them a discount? Silly question I guess.

Thought are welcome! Thanks

hcmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 10:51 AM   #5
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmunch View Post
Where is the grey area between outright paying and requesting reviews and giving them a discount?
Not sure what you mean. Are you considering just straight up handing people cash if they give your business a good review?

LGCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 07:28 PM   #6
platnumcn

The difference between outright paying and giving discount is as follows:

Paying for reviews would indicate to the customer that there is something wrong with your services, for which you have to pay for others to come to them. May be it was his good day that he had a good meal.

However, asking them for review and giving them discount is an invitation for two things:

1. You want to know what was wrong or right in their experience at your place. This will give them an indication that you are looking to work on your services and improve it for the benefit of the consumers.

2. By giving discounts, you are trying to invite them back at your restaurant. A customer will feel that with feedback given, they might get a better experience than what they had last time, in spite of paying less for the same.

Hope this was of some help

platnumcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 08:17 AM   #7
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumcn View Post
The difference between outright paying and giving discount is as follows:

Paying for reviews would indicate to the customer that there is something wrong with your services, for which you have to pay for others to come to them. May be it was his good day that he had a good meal.
I agree with this. It could look really bad to customers if you give them a discount or pay them for good reviews only. As long you don't specify that, I think you're ok.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Mo.AdFountain

Send a message via Skype™ to Mo.AdFountain

I would encourage them with a discount or a free meal.

I believe if they liked your food, they will post a good review and you won't have to ask them to post a good one.

Just do something like...

Hi.. how was our food? did you like it?

They will be like.. yeah it was good, I'll come again.

Then you ask them to write you a review and you'll be happy giving them a free meal or discount next time they visit.

Mo.AdFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 07:29 AM   #9
LGCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.AdFountain View Post
I would encourage them with a discount or a free meal.

I believe if they liked your food, they will post a good review and you won't have to ask them to post a good one.

Just do something like...

Hi.. how was our food? did you like it?

They will be like.. yeah it was good, I'll come again.

Then you ask them to write you a review and you'll be happy giving them a free meal or discount next time they visit.
Yeah, sometimes it's just as easy asking them to write a review. If they're happy with your service, they'd probably be happy to write a review if you ask.

Old 19th October 2013, 09:23 PM   #10
puffingLife

You can do everything that you state, but I suggest not too. Well, if you serve a real good dishes then they will give you reviews even if you don't ask them anyway.

puffingLife is offline   Reply With Quote