Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
mcleansealing

Default Student Networking Community

I would like people's honest opinions on an idea I have bounced around with some fellow university friends. What do you think on an online community provided free to university students with a setup similar to professional online communities in terms of referral marketing and contact management. THere would be a database of students complete with industry preference, year of graduation, location, etc... Students would have the ability to interact with other students and share industry contacts. They would be able to upload their resume and transcripts for companies to view. Corporations would need to pay a fee to access the database. Once they were in they would be able to generate very specific searches for potential job candidates. THe site would be multi-dimensional as the students would have access to each others profiles and would be able to interact privately and companies would only have access to profiles, resume's and transcripts.

mcleansealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th February 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
darkangel29

I do like that idea, because I am looking for information myself about businesses, but the other half of my brain (the leadership side) is screaming "WOW POOL OF EMPLOYMENT!"

I think it's a wonderful idea, considering that we do need transcripts etc. I know that we do have to pay money here to get them and then more money to send them into a college, university, etc.

How would you go about verifying the information though? Would it be a personal contact thing? Would you call the student directly and say "Hello, is this you?" That's the one thing about online applications and services like this. A lot of people have access to a computer.

Just some things for you to think about!

-Trina

darkangel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
colemg01

I think you have a good overall concept, but the fee should be the other way around. I don't think that companies will pay or even take the time to search your database.

I think you would just have headhunters use it the way you are proposing it now. I think you would be far better off, profitability and sustainability, charging a fee to the students to use it and providing an easy to use platform for companies to post what the are looking for that students can apply to or contact as long as they are paying members.

I have done career fairs at major universities and was inundated with a ton of applicants for entry level jobs so there is no incentive for a company to spend time searching a data base for applicants. Plus if an applicant can't take time to visit my site or search monster to find the opening at my company they probably do not really want the position, or are willing to work hard at it.

You do have a good idea for a community though, if you market it to students through college advisor's and ad campaigns revolved around universities it would be very successful!!!

Remember, the students are the ones who get the benefit more so than the company hiring. The fact that a high percentage of new graduates change jobs in the first 3 years, it is hard to justify a lot of expense and energy hiring them.

Good luck!

colemg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 01:08 AM   #4
mgkmkl

Is that the same idea as www.monster.com and careerbuilder? I've never used those but just have heard of them...

mgkmkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 02:49 AM   #5
LBBMike

i know SFSU has a social networking site like this, although no where near as extensive as your idea. that would be a good place to start researching.

LBBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 08:17 AM   #6
DigitalDoodler

Send a message via AIM to DigitalDoodler

While there might not be a website that currently provides this functionality, think about all of the other networking sites out there. For instance, consider Facebook. What if you devote your time to your site, and then Facebook releases a professional networking feature to their numerous other features. I think it's pretty obvious who would continue to retain their membership and continue to grow.

Obviously you shouldn't let the big companies scare you into not doing anything, but since the user base is already at Facebook and similar site, they are at more of an advantage.

Good luck!

DigitalDoodler is offline   Reply With Quote