Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Steve13

Default ELance, Guru, Craigslist, Freelancer... Wasting My Time?

A little frustrated...
I've been searching for some freelance copywriting work on the calamity of freelance-type sites. I started with Craigslist. Posted repeatedly. Searched and applied nightly. Net results = nothing but an inbox full of spam.

Moved to the big boys -- freelance websites. Guru, elance, vworker, freelancer, and more. Took the tests, got certified, added my portfolio. I was excited because these sites had hundreds upon hundreds of jobs. Unfortunately most want to pay you $20-$50 for work that will take many hours. Most all of the copywriting jobs are writing articles -- many at less than $2 an article!

And when there are the few golden opportunities offering a legitimate project for a reasonable wage, dozens of paying subscribers flock to it making it almost impossible to get.

Craigslist at one time used to be a legitimate place to find work. Then spammers ruined it. And my guess is that these freelance sites used to be worthwhile as well -- but not anymore.

QUESTION(s): Any one else have this experience? Am I wasting my time spending hours on end chasing nickel and dime jobs? Or is there a trick to getting decent business from these places? Or is my time better used working on my own site and driving real traffic and customers?

Thanks. Any advice would help!
Steve

Steve13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th October 2010, 01:06 PM   #2
DavidHawke

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidHawke

I've hired a few people from Elance and Guru.com have found it to be a pretty good place to find some pretty good talent, (But I've had to search).

As for being a supplier, in your case a copywriter on either site, I think you are setting yourself up for some pretty low wages.

Most people searching those sites are looking for a bargain and they are getting them, most likely not getting good results but they don't think much about that until after the work has been done.

Good luck, David

DavidHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Steve13

Thanks David!
I was spending 3 or 4 nights a week searching and posting for jobs on the freelance sites. Figured I'll cut out all but one night and use the other nights to write articles for my site.
thanks.
Steve

Steve13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I wouldn't waste my time on Craigs list... unless you're selling sex or something like that.

The other sites... yes, I have hired people. In fact, I have a key person that I use on a regular basis that I originally met or hired from one of these sites.

The problem is that you're looking to hire yourself out to do the 'grunt' work. I take the attitude that it's more important to 'sell' your idea or concept. Let others spend the time and effor to do all the difficult work.

Having said that, I do write my own articles. I have tons of content. But to start, I would suggest that you hire one of them to build your content. It's fast and cheap. Then use that (or tweek it) to make it suite your needs.

In short, I think you're trying to get in on the wrong site. You are trying to hire yourself out in an environment where there are a ton of people willing to work for $5. I suggest you explore how you can take that $5 labor and put it to good use to sell something.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 08:34 PM   #5
lyrafire

Yes--This is absolutely true. I've also looked at them. Most of (but not all) the shoppers on those sites are bargain shopping. It's disappointing. Moreover, a good number of people are looking for you to help them cheat--write a thesis, a dissertation, a paper. Ugh. I just love to think about practicing professionals who don't have the wit, drive and intellect to write their own work. Care to drive across a bridge designed by an engineer who cheated through college? Anyway, for the long haul, you really are better off building your own site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHawke View Post

As for being a supplier, in your case a copywriter on either site, I think you are setting yourself up for some pretty low wages.

Most people searching those sites are looking for a bargain and they are getting them, most likely not getting good results but they don't think much about that until after the work has been done.

Good luck, David

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 11:30 PM   #6
crothersb

Anyone know how much it cost to get a terms of use section written up for my website.

crothersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 06:43 AM   #7
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

The fact is that they do not care a fig for the quality of work; instead, what they are looking for is satisfactory result at an impossible price. But if you have no problem writing two or three pages that are filled with your creative juice for a meager 5 dollar, you may go hunting wild in those so called freelancing sites.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 05:18 AM   #8
DanWilliams

Steve,

When you say copy writer do you mean you write "sales" copy ? Have you tried posting on the warrior forum ? I've hired several top notch copywriters there for $1000-1500 per sales letter. I'd assume those are the type of rates you'd rather be paid? Of course I'm assuming you have some prior success with your writing.

If you're starting out I'd suggest offering several "free" letters for legitimate members on the forum in exchange for a glowing testimonial or a video testimonial that you can use to build a great reputation. You'll need it with the amount of competition out there.

Dan

DanWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 09:41 AM   #9
luxuria

Content marketing articles generally pay $20 for 500 words. Once you get it down, you can crank out 500 words in about an hour.

See contentdivas.com and some similar places.

luxuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 06:48 PM   #10
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Steve13!

I have to say that I share many of the same thoughts as the others. Although it was some time ago, I did attempt to market/sell at CL and others.

With respect to your copywriting, can I make a suggestion??

You say you have a website, right?? Have you tried marketing with Articles? This can be a great way to drive traffic to your site.

Once at your site, I would strongly suggest that you have some 'free' give away to attract people to sign up (using a proper opt-in list). Also, I would strongly suggest that you create eBooks where you 'sell' the copywriting system. This opens it up for you. As a potential customer, I can have YOU do the work for me, or I can purchase your eBooks and hack thru it myself.

All the time, you continue to grow your list and market to them. Also, work on your testimonials.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote