Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2004, 10:42 AM   #1
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Default E-book publishing

Hi all,
I'm considering publishing an e-book to offer free on my site. Does anyone know of any free e-book publishing software? Is it one of those things where you pay for what you get?
Hope this is in the appropriate category.

Thanks for any input!

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st August 2004, 01:50 PM   #2
neofelis

Default Pdf

I would recommend a simple PDF file.

Several months ago I went the same route of trying to publish an e-book. I checked out a variety of software (and will be happy to provide links if you like) but all of it seemed more complicated than it was worth.

Then I decided just to make the book into a PDF file that people could download. It's easy, it's fast, it works on Macs and PCs...this made it available to a wide audience and I did not have to spend my days acting as tech support for specialized e-book software.

neofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 09:25 AM   #3
copywriter

PDFs are really the way to go in my opinion. If you don't want to fork out $299 for Acrobat, you can always use a service to convert your book from Word to PDF for you. One place I know of that does PDF conversions is http://www.mountevansdesigns.com. They charge $1 per page, I think. If your book is small, it might be worth it to do that. If your book is 150- to 200-pages or more, you'd want to go ahead and buy Acrobat.

Most of the free stuff I've seen is either cheap or includes ads.

Old 1st September 2004, 09:29 AM   #4
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the input.

Does this pdf conversion service disallow copying and pasting? I've noticed some pdfs don't allow a copying mechanism..would hope my little book couldn't be lifted so easily.

Old 1st September 2004, 09:32 AM   #5
copywriter

You can tell them to use whatever security features are built-into Acrobat. You can allow/disallow printing, copying, and several other things I don't remember right now.

Old 1st September 2004, 05:10 PM   #6
StupidScript
Administrator

On a security note, there are several ways to lift text from even a protected PDF file, regardless of the security settings embedded in it. For one, a screenshot of the open file can be processed with any number of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) programs to produce an editable text file.

While it is more of a bother than copying-and-pasting, the truly motivated thief (or a person who is legally using the material under "fair use" regulations) can get at your content without too much trouble.

The same can be said of "meatspace" books, I should note. A scanner and some OCR can do the same thing to works published in even that elderly technology.

If it turns out that you really want to implement roadblocks to easy use of your text (and I don't suggest restricting the print function, as I, among others, do not care to read books on my computer screen), then you can expect to pay the full price.

If you decide "what the heck", and just want to e-publish the darn thing and trust your purchasers' discretion, there are several free PDF output programs available for download, among them the excellent PDFCreator.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 07:18 PM   #7
neofelis

Default Adobe PDF Online

Adobe also now offers an online service to convert your files to PDF. It's way less expensive than purchasing the Acrobat software, if you're not going to be making PDFs every day of the week.

Create Adobe PDF Online

I'm not sure about what sort of security features this provides. If you're looking for a more sure-fire way to stop people from reproducing your book all over the place, you might take a look at Virtual Vault, although this is more for an e-book you want to sell, rather than something that is freely distributed.

Last edited by neofelis; 1st September 2004 at 07:22 PM.
neofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 02:05 PM   #8
copywriter

The online PDF offer doesn't allow for live links. (At least it didn't used to.) That's a real problem for some people.

Virtual Vault won't help with keeping people from extracting text from a document/ebook. It just prevents people from buying your ebook/software/whatever and emailing it to all their friends for free.

Old 11th September 2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Rick

Default Publishing an e-book

Hi Jesse,

A couple of ebook programs you might want to look at are: pdf995.com and ebookcompiler.com. I've used pdf995 (which costs $9.95) to convert HTML files to PDF. I'm now using eBookCompiler (also modestly priced) to produce a couple of ebooks.

Good luck,

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 09:48 AM   #10
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

Rick,
Thanks for the leads. I'll look into them.