Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Call-Killing Phrases

Okay, don't ask them how they are.

"Because "How are you?" is so commonly used, how often have you started your introductory calls with this phrase? If you do use this phrase as an opening for your introductory call, please stop immediately. It's an introductory call-killer, and this is why"

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...es/010112.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th September 2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Birdman

Great story and so true!

Something that also works at the beginning of the conversation is to introduce yourself, tell them briefly why you are calling, then ask them if they are the right person to talk to. For example, "Hi, my name is Joe Schmoe and I am with ABC Corporation. We are calling to find out about your forklift equipment needs. Are you the right person to talk to about that?"

Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

This article just explains it all. "How are you?" just sounds hollow and insincere, definitely not a great way to start a call. Its better to be direct and not waste time like Birdman's example.

Other call killers are:

- "Is that alright with you?"
- "Would you like that?"

These usually appear at the end of the call, right when you're pitching something.
This is remedied by using "Let me...." phrases instead.

"Let me email our list to you so you can check our package deals when you're free."

"Let me just set this aside for you."

Are there other call killers that we can rephrase?

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Great story and so true!

Something that also works at the beginning of the conversation is to introduce yourself, tell them briefly why you are calling, then ask them if they are the right person to talk to. For example, "Hi, my name is Joe Schmoe and I am with ABC Corporation. We are calling to find out about your forklift equipment needs. Are you the right person to talk to about that?"
I have had differing experience with this type of introduction on a lead generating phone call. I found that it touches that button of self importance in the listener whose mind then registers "salesman" (along with its negative connotations) and becomes the traffic cop that blows the whistle.

Salesman: "Hi, my name is Joe Schmoe and I am with ABC Corporation. We are calling to find out about your forklift equipment needs. Are you the right person to talk to about that?"
Receptionist/Assistant/Office Cleaner: "No I'm not" :silence:

I would consider that both a shift of control and a conversation stopper. You may be able to keep talking: "Okay whom would that be" or "would you mind connecting me with that person" etc, but that person has already shut you down in their mind. Its going to take some savvy to finesse the ball back into your court. Half the time I would think you are going to get "they're not here right now" or "they aren't available, can I take a message"

This article presents interesting concept but I don't neccessarily agree with it. Its the old adage.. Its not what you say, it is how you say it. How many times in your life have you asked a stranger how they are and they actually responded talking about their sciatica and their miserable kids? Most mentally stable people answer "fine" or "good" and then return the cordiality. Are there better ways to start a conversation or sales call? Absolutely. Is it a potential sales killer? I don't know if I would go that far.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 04:22 PM   #5
caseyturton

As a result of slogging through thousands, if not tens of thousands of cold calls these often help me get past the "gatekeeper"

Opener: "Hi, this is Joe from XYZ Products. This is a new business development call. I don't know too much about your staff, so if I describe my products (services) to you very briefly, can you help me find the right person?"

A: What was it you do? (door's opening a crack) Don't talk too much. Get to the point.

Q: "Hi, this is Joe from XYZ Products. I'm working on my marketing database for our (fill in the blank) products. Is Mr. McFadden still the authorized buyer for these products? If so, does Mr. McFadden take calls or can you suggest another way to make contact with him"

A: Send a brochure and I'll see that he gets it. Reply: I'm sorry. We don't mail brochures anymore what with email and all that. Maybe I can just stop by this week and leave my card. When's the best time to do that.

I have more if you don't like these.

Old 26th September 2007, 07:50 PM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

As always, nice post, Linda! That's a great article by Wendy. It helps.

Old 9th June 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
kremner

Default Call It Like It Is

Great Post!
Nothing beats direct, sincere business communication with a little tact thrown in. So when a complete stranger (or even someone I know .... but don't know well) asks me "how are you today?" it automatically stimulates defenses within me. What is this person really after? For me, phony sales pater that's been done to death is no longer effective. It's time to move on!
Thanks, Jonathan

kremner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 09:11 AM   #8
K&G

LOL - reminds me of the line from 'A Good Woman'
"You haven't asked me how I'm doing. You know, that shows a real lack of concern for my wellbeing."

But seriously, How are You? can be an indicator of how the rest of the call should go. 'Fine, and you?' means I don't have much time, let's get down to business - A more personal response means I have some time, let's talk.

I'm generally on the receiving end of a call and the only real call killer I hear is 'I can save you money on your credit cards'. Everyone else has about 2 minutes to make the case that convinces me I want to make time for them, and if you can convince me in 2 minutes that you have a product I need or want to sell I will either listen or if things are too chaotic at the moment I'll make you an appointment.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 11:41 AM   #9
pburri

Default Don't say, "How are you?"

Dear Wendy,

Good advice. It is similar to the useless, sale-killing phrase, "May I help you?" when you walk into a store of any kind. What sort of response will you get 99% of the time? "No thanks, just looking."

In Michael Gerber's E-Myth, he proposes an alternate approach which is to say, "Hello. Have you been to our store before?" If they say "no" you say, "Great! Let me show you some of this week's specials." If they say "yes" you say, "Great! Welcome back. Let me show you some of this week's specials."

Paul Burri

pburri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 03:20 PM   #10
GRPFunding

"Hi, is the owner there?"

"We don't need anything - thanks"

GRPFunding is offline   Reply With Quote