Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > Questions About the Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th August 2010, 09:09 PM   #1
MSBH

Default Question Regarding Appropriate Forum For Post.

About to begin selling radio ads, just need some demos. Instead of making demos about fictional companies, thought it would make more sense to create real ads for real companies. Only small business owners are eligible for this promotion. We will only be making 3-4 demos.

If you are interested, reply or send a PM.

EDIT: Thank goodness for the edit button. I originally placed my post regarding radio ads in the radio ad forum. However, a moderator felt that my post, despite not having any links, was better suited for the free links forum. Not wanting to be in contradiction with the theme of the free link forum, I have located a free link:

http://www.google.com/

The 3-4 free radio ads are still available.

Last edited by MSBH; 6th August 2010 at 12:04 AM.
MSBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th August 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
MSBH

Default Question Regarding Appropriate Forum For Post.

I'm a little bit confused. I originally made a post in the radio advertising section regarding radio ads, in which I was offering to create 3-4 radio ads for small business owners for free, so that we may use them as demos. I based this decision off of looking through the forums and finding similar content within the radio forum, such as this post in which the author is offering free radio advertising:

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...74&postcount=7

A mod then moved it to the free links forum despite it not having any links in it. I updated my post, wanting to explain that it had not been my intention to have a thread in a forum which was irrelevant and posted a link to google (the best free link ever) in order to make it compliant with the theme of that forum. The thread was then deleted.

I have read the rules thoroughly and am frankly very confused by this turn of events. My best guess is that the thread was deleted because it discussed a mod action, which is disallowed in some forums. However, I saw no such rule in the rules for these forums.

So, my central question is:

If I were to try again, and make a new, linkless post regarding the creation of free radio ads for small business owners so we can use them as demos, which forum would I put it in?

I am not a spammer, nor trying to abuse these forums in any way, I understand you do not owe me any sort of explanation for anything, I'm just trying to make a post in a relevant forum. Please advise.

Old 6th August 2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

If you review the rules, you will see that we don't allow self promotion. In your case, the original post was moved to the Free Links forum because it was a free offer you were extending to our members. That is a category of the forum where we do allow you to share your offers, unlike categories like radio advertising where the intention is for discussion about radio advertising to occur versus us being thrown sales pitches.

I believe it was appropriate to move the thread, and a choice was also made to leave a redirect from the radio advertising forum to your offer for a one week period - which provided your thread exposure not only in the radio advertising forum but also the freelinks category.

After that quick and easy change was made, you then returned to the post and made edits to it. Since you have brought this up, I have moved the post to this thread for reference.

As you can see, you comments were off and I'm not sure why you would add a link like google except to be sideways and smart.

At that point, I was no longer interested in hassling with your comments or editing of a post we took the time to help you with as you got started.

In the future, if you are going to self promote at a forum maybe take some time to introduce yourself and have some other conversation here. Even if you are promoting something free, it is self promotion.

Why were these choice made? For the above reasons, along with this was your first post and experience with you. A lot of hassle really from our end at this point.

That's my explanation, I understand you are not aware of this but frankly I didn't have time to contact you along with many other posts that have to moderated and managed in this manner.

I'm willing to brush things aside, and move on forward. It is an offer I can see of interest to our visitors - but not if it is a hassle or just you pushing your pitch in our door.

Stick around, post some more. And feel free to ask me to remove this thread, if you would like.

You may repost your thread as you originally did in our Free Links category. It is a section for any free offers like yours, not just linking opportunities as you misunderstood - which is understandable.

In the future, if I can help you - scroll to the bottom of the page and click the contact us link and I'd be happy to help you along with anything or clarify any questions you have about posting.

Quote:
My best guess is that the thread was deleted because it discussed a mod action, which is disallowed in some forums.
Nah, that isn't an issue although it may open up a thread/post to becoming off topic and removed to keep the thread in place. We are all ears when it comes to comments about moderating - and they are not removed typically for that reason here.

Welcome aboard

Old 7th August 2010, 02:40 AM   #4
MSBH

Wow, I must say I am impressed by the length of your answer. I was honestly not expecting any. Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
You may repost your thread as you originally did in our Free Links category. It is a section for any free offers like yours, not just linking opportunities as you misunderstood - which is understandable.
If that is the case, you may want to clarify the forum description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Links description
A forum dedicated to FreeLinks.com, a small business guide to find, review and discuss free website advertising to promote your business.
Needless to say, radio ads are not website advertising.

Quote:
As you can see, you comments were off and I'm not sure why you would add a link like google except to be sideways and smart.
Actually, it's called autism. Like many people with an autism spectrum disorder, I'm perfectionistic to a restrictive, compulsive degree. If you place a linkless post of mine in a forum called "free links" you are essentially forcing me to add a link. Not having a link that I deemed useful enough to share, I used google. Had you placed my post in a forum with no apparent link requirements, or better yet, apparent semi-relevancy (like the marketplace) then you would not have forced me to edit my post. You may not have liked my tone, but what you did was frankly (unintentionally) cruel.

Sorry if I come across as.....cross.

Quote:
If you review the rules, you will see that we don't allow self promotion.
I read the rules thoroughly before posting. At least 90% of the content on this site is a form of promotion. If you will scroll down to the bottom, you will note that even the mods are promoting their own sites. And that comment I linked to from the same forum had both a link to another site, and the clear intent to sell a course to your forum goers. Countless members promote themselves in their posts and signatures. Your articles too, contain self promotion, generally in the form of links, but always in the intended impression of expertise. By contrast, my short post contained no link, no pretense of expertise, not even the name of a business.

Rather than this site having a rule it never decided to enforce until now, it seems much more likely to me that the term promotion is meant to defined more narrowly. Let's look at the context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Unsolicited advertising, link dropping, self promotion and solicitation are not allowed. The purpose of the forum is to educate and encourage fellow small business people. By participating in discussions and through the use of your signature file, you will gain exposure. The more you give, the more you get.
I assumed that giving free radio ads, with no link, no business name, and indeed making no effort toward direct profit from your forum, would be perceived as giving. Or, as you stated:

Quote:
It is an offer I can see of interest to our visitors
Apparently this was not the case.

I think what you (and the rules) meant is one-sided promotion - or at least "you pushing your pitch in our door" type promotion, as you put it. I completely understand that and won't have any issue with it. As this seems to be a popular forum, I suspect you get a lot of spam. Obviously, precautions must be taken. Feel free to leave this thread up if you feel it is useful or instructive in any way. I don't think I will be posting my offer again as I'd like to avoid causing "hassle." I may post articles though.

If I need to contact you again, I will use the information at the bottom of the screen. I appreciate your invitation. Under normal circumstances, I do not contact people from forums outside of forums without some sort of permission, because I consider it rude.

Again, thank you for your time and your thoughtful response.

P.S. No part of this post is intended to come across as insincere or sarcastic.

Old 7th August 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
If that is the case, you may want to clarify the forum description. Needless to say, radio ads are not website advertising.
I will take that into consideration, and that is something that will probably be tweaked. Websites can be advertised on radio, but regardless the forums topics have grown into any type of free offer our members share with others. There are threads in that category not only for advertising, but free invoicing applications for example. With time, I will adjust the description so it describes the forum is focused on free business offers our members extend to the community.

Quote:
You may not have liked my tone, but what you did was frankly (unintentionally) cruel.

Sorry if I come across as.....cross.
Likewise. Please don't take any movement or moderation of a post as cruel. Its simply management of the forums communication. Nothing personal.

Quote:
Rather than this site having a rule it never decided to enforce until now, it seems much more likely to me that the term promotion is meant to defined more narrowly
What actually happened is that is a rule that has been enforced, and over the past five years with the forums growths we have opened up a few scenarios where we do allow self promotion based on the nature of the communication. These exceptions are -

1) Article posting
2) Success Stories category
3) Free Links catgory
4) Marketplace category

Additionally, since day one the forum was set based on the principle if a member contributes they may also include a signature link with their profile including up to two website. The idea is as you contribute, others can learn about your business by visiting your signature if they are interested - but we do try to keep promotion out of the post itself with the exception of the above categories and article posts where we have made exceptions based on the communities feedback up to this point.

Quote:
And that comment I linked to from the same forum had both a link to another site, and the clear intent to sell a course to your forum goers.
I think we are clear about article posting and how signatures work here plus the few categories that are exception. But I will say with the example that you pointed out, that one slid by. It should (will be) edited. We missed it, simple as that. Plus no other members reported it to us which is part of the system in place and an option as well. You have reported it, so with time things do get sussed out - as with this case also.

Quote:
If I need to contact you again, I will use the information at the bottom of the screen. I appreciate your invitation. Under normal circumstances, I do not contact people from forums outside of forums without some sort of permission, because I consider it rude.
Actually, I consider a new member who is not sure how to post as the ideal person to contact us to ask and clarify first - far from rude based on my experiences on this end. Some do. It always goes smoothly.

You are welcome for the responses, I'm here to help anytime you need it.

With that said, let me give you two points that are on my mind based on our conversation

(1) For your own help, realize when a moderator takes the time to approve your post and move it to an appropriate category ... then just let it be. You should assume if a moderator has approved it and moved it then it is appropriate for the forum they moved it to. It was approved. Let it be, and no need for you to try and "correct" the moderators decision.

(2) From our perspective, I appreciate your feedback. And I understand your experiences. Honestly, the forum has shifted from "we don't allow self promotion" to the exception noted above. We need to rework our signup process so this is clearer and accurate based on the current state of the way the forum works and the moderating is done.

I will get this taken care of, as I have time, based on your feedback and the occassional other who are here to post in our forums based on these exceptions of promoting their offer/article.

Thank you, have a good weekend and I hope to see you around more.