Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2007, 10:20 AM   #1
bukem

Default Do You Think It's A Good Idea ?

First of all I'd like to say hello to all

I've been reading here for a while, but unfortunatly I'm a real noob and haven't had anything very constructive to say. lets hope time and experience will change this.
So far my internet millions have been made on good ole Ebay. I've been a powerseller for a few years and still enjoy it. Although It doesn't make me millions it does help towards family holidays and Chrimbo,
which is fast approaching I love it really just costs a fortune.

Anyway the purpose of this post is to ask some advice from your brilliant business brains. I've been offered a website that gives away free stuff like Ipods, Laptops ect. A customer joins the site for free then is asked to sign up to offers with one of the affiliates the site is asociated with(e.g. open an account with eBay, or with an online bookmaker, etc)
The customer then gets several friends to do the same. Once the customer has referred a set number of friends, the business sends him/her a free product (such as an iPod). I'm sure you know the type of site I mean.
First off I'm under the impression these give away sites are legitimate, right? I'm sure it would need a good marketing campaign but do you think this type of business could be profitable? And what pittfalls should I expect?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Kind Regards

bukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:53 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I can't say for sure if that particular program is legit, but in general those kinds of giveaway sites can be. I've never tried running one of them, so I can't even begin to speculate on their profit potential, though.

There is more information about these programs and some discussion forums you may find interesting at anything4free.com and freeipodguide.com (possibly other places as well, those are just two I happen to know about).

HTH!

--Torka

Old 28th October 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
mktgbiz

I agree with Torka. Don't know if they are legit either.

What I question, is how do you make money? And when you are surfing the net, what is your response when you see that banner that says "Free dinner for 2 at Olive Garden"? Do you click on the banner? I think the majority of folks don't.

As a PowerSeller on eBay I'd recommend using products you can sell as an affilite through your About ME page and through outgoing email correspondence if you don't already.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 10:53 AM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well, there is a whole subculture of people who apparently make money by signing up for those offers (and paying others to click on them and sign up, too).

Google "project payday" and/or look at the FAQs and some of the discussions on the two forums I referenced for more info.

The only part I don't know about is the profit potential for the people who host the sites that carry the offers. I'm guessing it must be there, or there wouldn't be that many people running the offers, but I don't know from personal experience.

--Torka

Old 28th October 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
bukem

Hi

Thanks for the replies, torka you've been a great help. I've spent a lot of time today reading forums and checking other freebie sites, and you're right about the culture of freebie site surfers. I've seen a whole new angle of marketing I would never have known about. The profit seems to be about 2/3 rds of what is spent on the free item. eg: if a customer manages to refer the amount needed for a free gift worth around £60 the site will make £40 profit. With a good Google campaign and the natural viral marketing the site has it's starting to become quite appealing. Although for some reason I am still apprehensive. In the past Iíve been spontaneous at times like this and would probably have just bought the site. Trouble is very few of my madcap adventures in cyber space actually profit, but I've learnt a lot along the way.
Am I slowly getting older and wiser and can see it's not going to work. Am I loosing my fizz and don't have the bottle to try. Am I expecting to fail when it's possible I won't.
I think I need to sleep on it !!!

Last edited by bukem; 28th October 2007 at 01:30 PM.
bukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 12:06 PM   #6
dsmith10

Default I felt compelled to respond Bukem

I'm not that successful yet as a Marketing Consultant, but, I'm working on it....

MANY MANY times in my past, I came upon websites like that.....
They all "faked me out", and after I figured it out, and looked at all
the many things offered, I concluded what a waste of time.....

Also, there were a couple of times I actually went forward, and
never once received what was promised......ALSO, I received a
SPAM explosion right after I did these things......

So, it pretty much pissed me off, and I never got what I supposed
to get.....

I of course don't know you, but, if you do that for income, I know for sure,
you will piss off a lot of people......And, it's also out of your control.......

dsmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote