Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th February 2007, 03:34 PM   #1
tntmartin

Question How To Start A Blog?

Hi,
I am new to the world of internet marketing and am learning as I go. I would like to start a blog and use it to help drive traffic to my site. My husband and I have just started our site and need ways to generate traffic to it. I have been reading that blogs are a way to do this, but am not sure where or how to start one. I already have a few ideas for subject content. What is the best way to go about this? How do you get people to the blog and how do you get the bloggers to your site? Any help or suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

tntmartin

tntmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th February 2007, 04:23 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As far as software solutions, Movable Type (what I use) and Wordpress are some of the top choices.

As far as getting readers, first of all you need to make sure you put out good content. Then make sure you allow readers to subscribe to your RSS feed. get to know other bloggers in your industry and establish relationships. This will allow for inter-linking as well as letting them know when you have something of interest to say (and visa versa). Finally you can join networks such as MyBlogLog.com and install their widget which essentially gives you a glimpse as to who is actually visiting your blog.

Old 7th February 2007, 03:15 PM   #3
tntmartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
As far as software solutions, Movable Type (what I use) and Wordpress are some of the top choices.

As far as getting readers, first of all you need to make sure you put out good content. Then make sure you allow readers to subscribe to your RSS feed. get to know other bloggers in your industry and establish relationships. This will allow for inter-linking as well as letting them know when you have something of interest to say (and visa versa). Finally you can join networks such as MyBlogLog.com and install their widget which essentially gives you a glimpse as to who is actually visiting your blog.
Hi David,

Thank you for the info. I have a question about the RSS feed, exactly what is it? Excuse the newbie. I am still learning the technical side.

tntmartin

tntmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

An RSS feed is simply a system that exports your posts/articles to whoever has signed up for the service.

It requires a "reader" at the subscribers end to "interpret" the data and show it as intended.

The actual feed itself usually comes as part of any blog package these days, so it's ready to go as soon as you are.

Now, I'll add some info from my own personal experiences...

1 - stick with a known platform like Moveable Type or Wordpress (and others). I personally use Wordpress because it sets up quickly on my server and has loads of nice templates available to get a look and layout you like.

I used to use a product called bblog, and it was great. But, it didn't allow certain tweaks easily to make things a bit more search engine friendly (Wordpress does).

I run a news blog that accompanies a main website. The site houses the static data, the blog is for news on the topic.

One thing to make sure you understand is this:

Just having the blog itself will not suddenly "make traffic" for the main website. In fact, the blog may take as much effort or more to update and maintain as the main website (assuming it even needs regular updating).

My reason for going the blog route was simple - I follow the topic anyway, so why not parlay that action into more content for my users. It's taken a while, but now the blog enjoys about 1300 visits each day - and generates revenue via the Adsense ads I have in place.

Adding a blog is a great way to spread yourself out and offer more to users, but in and of itself, it doesn't "make" traffic - it still requires you market it to develop it's own traffic, then careful placement of links will allow users to quickly and easily slide into the main website for the things that interest them.

I operate 5 blogs right now, plus one main website and a few smaller sites. the blogs take the most investment of time, but, IMO, are worth it.

Best of luck

Last edited by SportsGuy; 7th February 2007 at 04:16 PM.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
cube3

I totally recommend wordpress because of its ease of use. Furthermore hosts like 'Bluehost' has auto wordpress installed for you in their server, easing up the pain of installing urself again.

cube3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 12:36 PM   #6
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

Wordpress is one of the top choices. But you can also go to other blogs and bloglike sites, like blogger.com and squidoo...

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 12:39 PM   #7
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

Just keep in mind the ideal scenario:

You want a host that allows you to have your own actual domain name on the product - they host, they troubleshoot, etc., but the site is found on a domain you own.

So, it's http://www.yourblogsdomain.com, not http://yourblogsname.somehostname.com - this second one is not a viable way to build a long term presence that can be monetized.

Old 9th February 2007, 12:48 PM   #8
mattsweb

I will also chime in to say that Wordpress and Blogger are nice platforms. I can't comment on others as these are the only 2 I have experience with. One of the nicest features about Wordpress and Blogger is that they have so many users. In both cases there is a large community of people that can help, and a large amount of 3rd party plugins and themes to choose from.

For a detailed walkthrough on blogging, check out WikiHow.

Old 9th February 2007, 07:58 PM   #9
eholland99

Default Blogger vs. Wordpress

I just started using Blogger. Do you think that wordpress is better? What are the advantages/disadvantages to using either one?

Great advice about allowing your own domain name. Definitely a better way to go.

eholland99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 01:01 PM   #10
cube3

if you are really serious about blogging then pay for a host and domain and use wordpress or typepad....it makes your site look more professional rather then using free blog hosts like Blogger. On the otherhand if you are just into blogging for fun...i guess a free one might do.

cube3 is offline   Reply With Quote