Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th July 2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Default How Much Social Networking Should I Use

I do not feel that a professional website should have "do you like this?", "do you digg that?", "do you wanna tweet about me?", "do you think im delicious?", and "want to +1 me?" That is just my opinion. Obviously it works for a lot of people. But really all of those?

Is it really going to benefit me to have 5 social networking accounts. Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Delicious, and LinkedIn. I know there are even more out there. Soon google +1's social networking site

Is every one of these helping your website? and how much?

which one's work more or better then others?

and which one's are more valuable for the time you need to put into them

Last edited by Mike.Bean; 13th July 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th July 2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Johndiv23

I like how you put up the question, its hilarious.

I personally just use Facebook to do some advertising. It helps but not that kind of help you get to hear from other people that tells you that Facebook can gain you millions of fans in just a few weeks or even just days.

Well if you're a movie star, it is likely you'll get a thousands fans in just snap. But in it comes to traffic, none, i get more traffic in forums just to tell.

But it doesn't hurt trying one out. Like what i did.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
M.Rebecca

Just a minor correction, Google is launching its new social networking website Google+ (Google Plus)

All these websites can give you great success if you know how to use them properly.

Websites like twitter and faceook is a great way of driving traffic to website if and only if you have a good interactive profile.

LinkedIn still not very popular for driving traffic and promotion.

As far as social bookmarking websites are concerned they are good for getting traffic... Just submit your URLs with worth reading quality content.

M.Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 10:49 AM   #4
SunilSamuel

i am also using many social networking sites even can't remember of those....let me count...

Facebook
Twitter
Tagged
Orkut
Google +

these are the main social networking sits i am addicted to...

SunilSamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
TightTimes

Default Social Networks

I totally felt for a long time that social networks just don't work. I am still trying to get them to work better, but like anything, the more time you invest in tweeting, posting, etc., the more results you will see. The problem for me is that I don't spend nearly enough time doing so.

TightTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightTimes View Post
I totally felt for a long time that social networks just don't work. I am still trying to get them to work better, but like anything, the more time you invest in tweeting, posting, etc., the more results you will see. The problem for me is that I don't spend nearly enough time doing so.
I post nearly every day. It hasn't been long since I even started all these accounts, I will just keep posting and hoping. As well as many other things

Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

Today everything has moved forward socially. There is no such thing as having a successful business that doesn't have a presence online. It may be overwhelming at times to try and keep up with everything, but you want your business to be where everyone else is. There are millions and millions of people online today, the more you have a presence out on the web the more of a chance you have of getting more customers.

Gary Barzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:47 PM   #8
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default I agree with Gary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barzel View Post
Today everything has moved forward socially. There is no such thing as having a successful business that doesn't have a presence online. It may be overwhelming at times to try and keep up with everything, but you want your business to be where everyone else is. There are millions and millions of people online today, the more you have a presence out on the web the more of a chance you have of getting more customers.
If you dont think your customers would like the "dig me", "do you think I am delicious" etc... then dont talk to your customers that way..But you better have a social media presence! 3 months ago I wasnt using SM (what was I thinking?) we now have 21,000 engaged fans that send to our website orders and traffic everyday. PLUS, its fun to engage with the fans and talk with them and hear what they have to say.

Old 23rd July 2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Ebony2009rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylew View Post
If you dont think your customers would like the "dig me", "do you think I am delicious" etc... then dont talk to your customers that way..But you better have a social media presence! 3 months ago I wasnt using SM (what was I thinking?) we now have 21,000 engaged fans that send to our website orders and traffic everyday. PLUS, its fun to engage with the fans and talk with them and hear what they have to say.
I agree with this response, what ever anyone thinks about social media it is here to stay and is a very powerful tool used in the correct manner.
I think Linked in is an up and coming but Facebook and Twitter are the best sites to have the chance of going 'viral'

Social media is something that everyone should be using because it is where the customers are. Target your market and that market is on Facebook etc.
Thanks,
Tim

Ebony2009rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 07:16 AM   #10
melissacatwalk

You should find the golden media when you use these buttons. I can say that I don't have all of them in fact and only some of them. It is enough for me to have Facebook and Twitter and it works enough. You should identify what you want from them and expect the result.