Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default SEO Vs PPC - The Great Debate

I have seen a few posts on people advising on getting away from CPC and focus on SEO. Comments like, your wasting money/effort on PPC when you can get free traffic with SEO.

Dont get me wrong. Website owners have to invest in SEO efforts whenever they create a page on their site & this can never stop. HOWEVER, how many of you have not devoted any time to CPC chasing / hoping / maybe even praying that your time spent on optimizing a page will pay off with the number one result in the SERP? More so, how many of you got it! There you are number one today, uh oh wait a minute, where is my number ranking a month later? Google, Yahoo, Bing .... reindexed and your number 5 or worse.

You have to combine SEO with PPC to be successful, to keep a constant flow of traffic you have to have PPC, otherwise all your eggs are in the SERP basket and you could be one new algorythum change away from no traffic.

Now here is the great thing that ties your efforts together. Do all those great things for SEO (proper page title, headline, content ...) and if your doing it correclty when you link your Adwords Ad to that page for the keywords you've chosen, you should immediatley have a good Quality Score. SEO Optimization and PPC do go hand in hand.

Keep striving for top organic results - we do! but we put much more effort into a sure thing PPC where we know we will get Page one showings over hoping that over time we get organic page one rankings.

Old 26th September 2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylew View Post
I have seen a few posts on people advising on getting away from CPC and focus on SEO. Comments like, your wasting money/effort on PPC when you can get free traffic with SEO.

Dont get me wrong. Website owners have to invest in SEO efforts whenever they create a page on their site & this can never stop. HOWEVER, how many of you have not devoted any time to CPC chasing / hoping / maybe even praying that your time spent on optimizing a page will pay off with the number one result in the SERP? More so, how many of you got it! There you are number one today, uh oh wait a minute, where is my number ranking a month later? Google, Yahoo, Bing .... reindexed and your number 5 or worse.

You have to combine SEO with PPC to be successful, to keep a constant flow of traffic you have to have PPC, otherwise all your eggs are in the SERP basket and you could be one new algorythum change away from no traffic.

Now here is the great thing that ties your efforts together. Do all those great things for SEO (proper page title, headline, content ...) and if your doing it correclty when you link your Adwords Ad to that page for the keywords you've chosen, you should immediatley have a good Quality Score. SEO Optimization and PPC do go hand in hand.

Keep striving for top organic results - we do! but we put much more effort into a sure thing PPC where we know we will get Page one showings over hoping that over time we get organic page one rankings.
I agree. They are both different advertising tools with different objectives. PPC is tactical... instant traffic. SEO is more strategic... takes time to rank and get traffic. Businesses should be doing both, as well as using countless other techniques to advertise like CPM/Display or direct email marketing. Both are only parts of a comprehensive marketing approach.

But even when you start ranking for your targeted keyword phrases I would not stop using PPC advertising.

Old 29th September 2010, 10:51 AM   #3
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Social

Great point and I failed to emphasize it "once you start to rank high for your terms" DONT stop the PPC. The front page of a SERP should be considered real estate, the more real estate you own the more chance you have of getting the visit, the more visitors the greater the chance of the conversion, the more conversions, the more $$$$, which is why we have commercial websites in the first place.

Good luck to you all! (except if you sell sport team mercandise : )

Old 7th October 2010, 01:33 PM   #4
jamestcs

SEO
Pros : 1) No worry on click frauds
2) Large number of visitors ->economy of scale

Cons : 1) Search Engines Algo keep changing affecting SEO.
2) Takes time to get top ranking

PPC
Pros : 1) Immediate result, fast ranking
2) Long tail keywords are more economical compare to SEO

Cons : 1) Cost will be relative high if people keep bidding for certain keywords
2) Click fraud always a problem

Conclusion : SEO and PPC have different market segment. I personally think PPC is more suitable for long tail keywords while SEO is more suitable for core business /more generic keywords.

jamestcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
ernest1918

Hey Johnny,

'Now here is the great thing that ties your efforts together. Do all those great things for SEO (proper page title, headline, content ...) and if your doing it correclty when you link your Adwords Ad to that page for the keywords you've chosen, you should immediatley have a good Quality Score. SEO Optimization and PPC do go hand in hand."

you are absolutely correct but for PPC especially for ecommerce you need to make sure you have a big budget ot you'll blow through your stash like nothing...if you don't know what you are doing

do you guys have any PPC readings ? or advice? haven't had much luck and would like to research more into PPC

ernest1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 02:00 PM   #6
roof cleaning

We only used PPC here in Tampa when we had zero Internet Sites. Make a Merchant Circle Page, they are free, and rank highly here in Tampa, probably in your town too.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 06:58 PM   #7
SpencerPowell

Post Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestcs View Post
SEO
Pros : 1) No worry on click frauds
2) Large number of visitors ->economy of scale

Cons : 1) Search Engines Algo keep changing affecting SEO.
2) Takes time to get top ranking

PPC
Pros : 1) Immediate result, fast ranking
2) Long tail keywords are more economical compare to SEO

Cons : 1) Cost will be relative high if people keep bidding for certain keywords
2) Click fraud always a problem

Conclusion : SEO and PPC have different market segment. I personally think PPC is more suitable for long tail keywords while SEO is more suitable for core business /more generic keywords.
I disagree. I think SEO is IDEAL for the longtail keywords. I also think that PPC is ideal for longtail keywords. If I have a direct marketing agency, that would awesome to rank for "direct marketing"...but would it really? I don't want to drive loads and loads of irrelevant traffic to my site. I want to drive relevant traffic. I want people to find my site looking for things like "direct marketing agency" or "direct marketing for nonprofits". I think people get hung up on getting tons of traffic to their site, but the real goal is getting relevant traffic to your site so that you can convert that traffic into leads. Figure out who you are trying to target and start targeting longtail keywords that your target would be searching for.

Also, I think PPC is great for targeted campaigns, but not for words you want to rank for. PPC is like a direct mail piece. Drive them to a landing page and convert. If you are ranking #1 organically...don't waste money on PPC.

SpencerPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 05:02 AM   #8
mikeallen50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerPowell View Post
I disagree. I think SEO is IDEAL for the longtail keywords. I also think that PPC is ideal for longtail keywords. If I have a direct marketing agency, that would awesome to rank for "direct marketing"...but would it really? I don't want to drive loads and loads of irrelevant traffic to my site. I want to drive relevant traffic. I want people to find my site looking for things like "direct marketing agency" or "direct marketing for nonprofits". I think people get hung up on getting tons of traffic to their site, but the real goal is getting relevant traffic to your site so that you can convert that traffic into leads. Figure out who you are trying to target and start targeting longtail keywords that your target would be searching for.

Also, I think PPC is great for targeted campaigns, but not for words you want to rank for. PPC is like a direct mail piece. Drive them to a landing page and convert. If you are ranking #1 organically...don't waste money on PPC.
I think SpencerPowell is right. PPC has its own benefits. But i doubt whether PPC traffic may result into conversions and lead generations.

mikeallen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 11:03 AM   #9
SpencerPowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeallen50 View Post
I think SpencerPowell is right. PPC has its own benefits. But i doubt whether PPC traffic may result into conversions and lead generations.
mikeallen50, I didn't mean to say that PPC will not convert into leads, because I do think PPC is good for generating leads. However, many people use PPC to drive traffic to their home page, which will almost certainly not get them any leads. You have to use landing pages to convert.

SpencerPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

I would always run PPC on a new website for the first 3 months just to get myself going and to allow me to view more keywords and what will work and what won't

I do not always stop my PPC after 3 months but this is my initial period, I tend to run the two side by side

Simone