Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
lenzcrafter

Default How Can I Reduce My CPC?

Right, I have a Google adwords account, I have had it for years.

It cost me approx 1 per click for keywords such as Driving Schools Bristol, and Driving Lessons Bristol.

Now I am looking to really crank up my advertising without it costing that much!

I have been contacted by companies telling me that they can optimise my account for just 100 per month, with unlimited clicks etc!!

Now first things first, is this possible?? And can they do it that cheap and get me up on the first three positions?

If this is not so then how can "I" reduce cost per click so that I am still up on the top of the first page?

Any tips or tricks would be great.

Cheers

Matt

Ps there is a driving school called Robbiesdrivingschool.co.uk and they seem to be on the first position all the time....do you think that they pay lots per click or have they got some special thing going on?

Old 30th January 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Your position in Adwords is based on two variables. (1) bid amount (2) click thru rate

So to maintain or increase your position without increasing your cost you can increase your click through rate theoretically.

Google considers the click thru rate to be an indication of quality. The more people click on your ad, the more relevant it is for what people are searching for.

So I would focus on make your ad as relevant as possible. The first and easiest step to do this is include the keyword(s) that someone is searching within your ad - more prominent/title is better. Someone who see what they searched for in the title of your ad is more likely to click on it than if the keywords they searched for are not in the ad. This often means you need to create many ads and use quotes or brackets with your keywords to get matching.

Outside of including the keywords, do a search of this forum for other tips. I will analyze the other advertisements to include offers that will make my ad more attractive. I also will often include the price within the ad to qualify the visitor - although this may disaude ctr my own focus is more on conversions that ctr.

So with that in mind, create some new ads. Not one, but a few. Then run multiple ads and test which ads have the highest ctr (um.. track conversions too). Then repeat cycle using your best perfoming ad and then creating others. test. test. test.

Your landing page can also play a role. To test how different pages on your site perform see Google's Website Optimizer. Its not all about ctr and lowering your cpc, its about conversions too.

Regarding the competition, likely they just bid high to secure that position easily.

Regarding the service, don't waste your time. Anyone can get you in the top position just by setting a high bid amount. This stuff is easy, read up and learn it yourself and you will do better and have control over what you are doing without paying someone else.

Old 4th February 2010, 01:31 PM   #3
BizPaul

Matt, you might play around with your bid amount and see how much your traffic changes my raising and lowering your bid.

You might try writing alternative ads and seeing which ad gets best CTR (click thru rate).

You might try researching for longer tail / less competitive phrases to buy where maybe a lower bid will get higher placement.

But I wouldn't use some company that promises to save you money with your google campaigns.

BizPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

You should do some research more about the company.

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:51 AM   #5
james786

Google adward is also a very important topic for me because i am not much familiar with it. I would like to know that how it works for a better revenue and how i can start with it.

james786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
ecommerceguru

Logan is pretty much spot on - I echo his recommendations.

If you've had your account for years, chances are, you are not going to have someone who does not know your business, magically get you more clicks for less. It's not impossible, just not likely. I would only consider using a third party to manage CPC if you don't have the time to do it they way you want, and your margins justify it.

It's all about ROI, not just clicks. I would also look into using googles reports to find keywords that caused clicks but are not relevant. If they are expensive clicks, or if there are a lot of them for the same words, add them as negative keywords. The report I'm referring to is found on the reports tab inside Adwords, and it's called "Search Query Performance". If you've never ran it before, you might be surprised at what people type in and triggers your ad - and they click through costing you money.

Hopefully you have a reliable way to measure conversions, though I suspect as a driving school, you may get more phone calls than online sign ups.

Best of luck!

Ken

ecommerceguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 03:48 PM   #7
mattlilly

Default Reduce your CPC

1- Optimize your ad. Google takes into consideration the history of the ad. If your ad performs well you will end up being charged less per click than a competitor with a lower ctr.

2-Optimize your landing page. If your ad is important, your landing page is equally important. Google's algo controls your CPC, but you control your landing page and conversion rate. A/B test the page, change colors, add more information, change the copy etc...I ran a successful ad this weekend. My CTR was great, but I did not put enough work on my landing page. Result= Lost leads.

Last edited by mattlilly; 24th March 2010 at 03:56 PM.
mattlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 01:03 AM   #8
saramedows

Landing page and conversion rate will play good role regarding CPC. so you concentrate on these issues

saramedows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 11:04 AM   #9
crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzcrafter View Post
Right, I have a Google adwords account, I have had it for years.

It cost me approx 1 per click for keywords such as Driving Schools Bristol, and Driving Lessons Bristol.

Now I am looking to really crank up my advertising without it costing that much!

I have been contacted by companies telling me that they can optimise my account for just 100 per month, with unlimited clicks etc!!

Now first things first, is this possible?? And can they do it that cheap and get me up on the first three positions?

If this is not so then how can "I" reduce cost per click so that I am still up on the top of the first page?

Any tips or tricks would be great.

Cheers

Matt

Ps there is a driving school called Robbiesdrivingschool.co.uk and they seem to be on the first position all the time....do you think that they pay lots per click or have they got some special thing going on?
The best way to keep the cost down is to be more specific with you search phrase. The biggest problem with CPC is the wasted clicks, so aim you ad more carefully.

crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 11:27 PM   #10
MarketingMan

Lots of great recommendations in this thread. The best way to think of the process is to look at your ads from Google's perspective. Google wants to make money right?

Well, many mistakenly believe that this simply means that Google will jump on the ads with the highest bids to make the most "per click." It's more complex than that, as many times, Google makes more money by showing the ads with the lower bids.

How so? As others mentioned, higher click through. If you have one ad with a bid of 1.50 per click, and a click through ratio of 3% squaring off with another ad bidding 2.00 per click, but a click through of only 1%, which are you going to make more money from? (Remember, you're Google still - haha)

The best way to lower your costs is to keep improving your click through ratio, and focusing on the relevancy of your ad groups, as Google is going to assign you a Quality Score for each ad/keyword combo.

To better match up and group your ads/keywords, I recommend using the Google Wonder Wheel to get an idea of what groupings Google considers relevant. Chances are, if the Wonder Wheel shows the groups as belonging together, you should also group them together. (Not always though, it's up to you to apply common sense and a human understanding to what ads make sense when grouped with specific keywords)

Beyond this, make sure your landing page is also well done. By this I mean that you should have your proper keywords placed on the page, and have your proper links/disclaimers on the page, etc. Single page sites that are light on content and relevancy are getting punished by Google, as they are fed up with "splog" type sites.

Earn a higher QS from Google by demonstrating you are NOT a splog.

Best of luck to you.

MarketingMan is offline   Reply With Quote