Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th November 2009, 02:33 AM   #21
joshep

Thanks for giving good PPC tracking.

joshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th November 2009, 07:38 AM   #22
janicejan

great tips johnny, I am also looking forward on using a group of keyword ad.. hope it works for me the way it works for you.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 12:04 PM   #23
KMDAS

Looks promising might have to utilize these methods in the future. Thanks!

Old 12th January 2010, 09:15 AM   #24
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Anyone have any successes to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMDAS View Post
Looks promising might have to utilize these methods in the future. Thanks!
Hopefully some of you have had a chance to tweak your PPC campaigns. Any successes? In December my adwords generated a 3% CTR and a 5% Conversion rate. Of course as a retailer December is the best month, but I have never generated that kind of success in December for PPC.

Old 9th February 2010, 10:51 AM   #25
Trade

Nice tips there Johnnlew , the beauty about PPC especially with conversion tracking is that it very measurable.

Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:51 AM   #26
dpdumas642

Thanks for sharing. Those are some Great Tips.

dpdumas642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:50 PM   #27
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default OK..any feedback???

Hopefully you have had some time to implement the suggestions in this post, how did it go? Did you increase your CTR? Lower your CPC? Increase your Conversion Rate? and/or lower your Cost per Acquistion?

Here is a guide if you failed or want to do better in any of the above areas:

CTR - If you have a low Click Through Rate it is a direct function of your ad...Your ad doesnt match the keywords or you ad is not compelling enough. If you dont or cant put the keywords in the ad itself then you have the wrong ad for your keywords, if the ad matches the keywords then you need to scrap the existing Ad(s) (remember you better be running more than one ad to test which one works) and make it more compelling.

CPC - if your cost per click is too high check to see the averge position. If it is 1 or 2 lower the bid immediatley. I have found that position 3 is by far the best, so shoot for an average of 3 (you never can pin point a position you have to play with it). If your Quality Score is less than a 7 you will have a higher CPC than you should, the landing page or Ad doesnt contain the keywords so strip out the keywords that dont match the ad into its own group and get that QS to at least a 7.

Conversion Rate - If the conversion rate is less than 2.5% your website doesnt carry the message that the ad has. You need to carry on the message in the ad to the website. A poor conversion rate means your website doesnt match the ad. You need to find out why. Is it the wrong keyword set? Does your website make it difficult for the customer to trust you or does your website not have what was promised in the ad. Correct this and the Revenue and Conversion Rates will rise.

Cost per Acquistion - If the cost of the sale is more than the average order size and this happens alot in AW's then either you have a high click through and low conversion rate or your cost per click is too high. Your CPA will naturally correct itself once you find the right balance between CTR, CPC, and CR.

Let me know how your doing out there!

Old 10th May 2010, 11:15 AM   #28
Sahan Asad

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahan Asad

Hi Johnnylew,

Well said Johnnyle, this is the exact strategy I use.

Remember people only start adwords if you have conversion tracking on. This is very important or you are guaranteed to fail. Because without the statistics how can you improve your ads?

Also always have a fixed daily budget you are willing to spend or you could lose your shirt.

Sahan Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:23 AM   #29
Sahan Asad

Send a message via Skype™ to Sahan Asad

Hi Johnnylew,

What the name of the tracking tool you use?

Sahan Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 10:58 AM   #30
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahan Asad View Post
Hi Johnnylew,

What the name of the tracking tool you use?
I use Google Adwords as the tracking tool, for beginners you dont even have to leave Adwords itself to get very meaningful information. I take it a step further and run a detailed conversion report report (from adwords reporting) and then take the information into excel where I do some filtering to determine whats working and whats not.

One of the best reports you can run is the SEARCH QUERY Report. This will give you the terms people searched to click on your ad. If you use broad or phrase match this is an awesome report to run to make exact matches and to find negative keywords to better your conversion rate.