Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th July 2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Soyomb

Default Measuring Copywriting Results

One of the biggest issues for me since I started my web stores has been conversion rates, I have some decent rankings for some of the most popular terms (keywords) in my niche, I think the designs of these websites are not bad (they CAN be improved obviously but I don't think they are too bad for a rookie ) so I've been toying with the idea of hiring a copywriter to modify a couple Product Pages and see what happens.

There are two problems with this, the first one is that I do not have a big budget (don't really know how expensive it can be) and the second one is I do not have a clue as to how to measure results from this, one idea I have is to start an AdSense campaign on Google for a specific product (a fairly popular one) before the copywriting, stop the campaing, analyze results and then restart it after the page has been optimized.

What do you guys suggest?

The website I'm talking about is www.tcf-humminbird-fish-finders.com

Soyomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th July 2004, 09:35 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well if you need to hire a copywriter, I would highly recommend our own Karon Thackston. If you donít have much of a budget to work with, you may want to consider getting her Step-by-Step Copywriting Course and learn how to do it yourself.

As far as measuring your ROI, ClickTracks is one of a variety of web analytic programs you can use to accomplish this for you.

Old 15th July 2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Robert
Administrator

I too can highly recommend Karon. With a tight budget you can start by just having a few pages (or just one) done. The per page cost is more expensive this way, but it will allow you to spread costs over time and monitor results without putting up a large amount of money to begin with.

Old 22nd July 2004, 09:26 AM   #4
copywriter

Thanks, guys!

As for tracking results from copywriting, I recommend ONLY making the copywriting change prior to doing the tracking. If you make several changes at once, you'll never know which one caused the increase/decrease in business.

Also, check your stats before you being to track. That'll give you a good base point. You'll want to watch for improvements in visitor movement (are they going to the pages you want them to go to?), changes in conversion ratio (are you converting more unique visitors to buyers than you did?) and decreases in the sales cycle (visitors are buying more quickly than before).

Any good tracking program can provide the software to follow these changes.

All the best,
Karon

Old 26th July 2004, 03:27 PM   #5
OakWebWorks

One of the great things with the Web is that it allows for real-time tracking and tweaking of online marketing activities. I agree with what people have said here about looking at your site stats before and after imrpoved copywriting. This will give you an idea of its success.

But based on my e-marketing experience for clients, there are so many other variables that could affect increased visitors that it is hard to pin down exactly why they've improved. Also, simply making the copywriting better on a site may not do much to actually increase traffic and visitor length of time, or site "stickieness". I suggest that on top of studying before and after site stats, you create a way in which site visitors can contact you on the page that has been improved, such as an html form. If you can have copywriting that compels a user to take some action (ideally buy from you) but even to contact you, then you will be much more confident that it's because of the copywriting. A simple html form is all you need, and often works better than having the customer email you. Just don't make the fomr long, as that turns people off.

The other thing I would consider, after looking at your site, is to clean it up a bit. The layout, the organization and the look & feel all have immense impact on the success of your site, it is not just copywriting. Consider using only one font, one color font, bullets, and one color background. Also, break up the paragraphs for easier reading. I hope this helps. Good luck.

OakWebWorks is offline   Reply With Quote