Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Amymou

Default Suicide Up In China

I read a report from echinacities.com that coincided with Wednesday's International Suicide Prevention Day, and it said that suicide is the main cause of death for Chinese people aged between 15 and 34.

Though I'm not Chinese, I've lived there for a good many years, and I've seen the pressure that kids are under to achieve at school. I've also seen stressed out collegues, who are determined to put all of their energy into climbing up a very steep corporate ladder, or who are simply overworked in relation to what they get paid.

The report said that in rural areas, it is not school or work pressures that drive people to take their own lives - rather it is pressure from their families, particularly in terms of arranged marriages.

I was just wondering if you had any opinions on this issue, or any ideas about how to solve the problem. Of course, opinions from laowai are just as welcome.

Amymou is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
jewelsandgold

There's never a one size fits all fix-it for a society wide problem. There is a certain amount of societal expectations that are good. When parents in the US all expected their children to respect elders, teachers and other peoples property, and if you didn't - you got whomped on the spot, then whomped at home, you had better behaved children and in the long run better citizens.

But when the expectations go beyond what is normal or natural; when those expectations are driven by an entire society, there's just no fixing it in a big way. Educating parents about how their expectations influence the choices of their youngsters, can sometimes help, but they have to be willing to listen. And those that are willing to listen and apply are usually only about 10% of people in general.

I wish American's would take note, though. They push children into school at far too early an age and expect these little tykes to sit still and behave through school on a daily basis long before their emotionally ready or mature enough. And it hasn't helped, we've only had more and more problems in school. But again, that's going against the grain of most current American thought - shoot it goes against the grain of most of our family and we catch a lot of crap for it too - and changing that would be like trying to change the Chinese culture as a whole.

jewelsandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
towholesale

I'm Chinese. Yes, you're quite familiar with China.

towholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
youbetcha1018

Well, I guess not only in China where kids are pressured by the their families and lead to killing themselves. I believe it happens around the world. My friend had a 7 year old brother, their parents are pushing them sooo hard to get good grades in school. My friend actually graduated in college with honors but her brother failed in his preliminary exam in school. And since his parents will scold him if they find out that he failed in school, he got scared of this thought. He went inside his room and locked it, got his belt and put in on his neck and tie it on his bedroom window and from there, he died. But before he committed suicidal, he wrote his parents a note together with his test paper saying, "Sorry, I failed." It was 1997 when it happened.

So, to all of the parents here do not push your children so hard to do good in school. Just encourage them not pressure them.

youbetcha1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 01:48 AM   #5
khaty

Gee, parents should understand their children because they've been into that stage to avoid suicidal and parents should be concern on all the things that is happening to their children like in school, friends, etc.

khaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 03:17 PM   #6
j.chang

Send a message via AIM to j.chang Send a message via MSN to j.chang Send a message via Yahoo to j.chang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymou View Post
I read a report from echinacities.com that coincided with Wednesday's International Suicide Prevention Day, and it said that suicide is the main cause of death for Chinese people aged between 15 and 34.

Though I'm not Chinese, I've lived there for a good many years, and I've seen the pressure that kids are under to achieve at school. I've also seen stressed out collegues, who are determined to put all of their energy into climbing up a very steep corporate ladder, or who are simply overworked in relation to what they get paid.

The report said that in rural areas, it is not school or work pressures that drive people to take their own lives - rather it is pressure from their families, particularly in terms of arranged marriages.

I was just wondering if you had any opinions on this issue, or any ideas about how to solve the problem. Of course, opinions from laowai are just as welcome.
While this is a very sad situation, you need to look at it in China's point of view. Their children strive to be outstanding at school and therefore suicide may seem like common culture to them. It is sad to say, but it is true.

My father was born and raised in Korea, a country near China. I know they're not the same country, but they hold most of the same educational beliefs. My father went to school for 8 hours a day, 6 days per week and was punished if he didn't perform well enough in schools.

When he told me of this, I acted sort of surprised and all he said was that their standards are much, much higher than the US's, which is why the US is struggling so much today.

j.chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 02:37 PM   #7
jaymiehu

Default I can really feel that

I can really feel that

jaymiehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:57 AM   #8
jv08

I agree. Parents should not push their children so hard to be well in school. Just advice and assist them if needed but donít force them.

jv08 is offline   Reply With Quote