Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2009, 07:01 PM   #1
smallbizmkter

Default Idea To Generate More Leads From Your Website

Just thought I'd share some advice that seems like a no brainer, but almost no websites that I see actually implement. Especially small business websites which are for bricks & mortar type businesses.

Basically, if you can include an opt-in for a free report, or a free coupon download or similar on your site, you will greatly increase the leads that you receive from your site.

We recently looked at the statistics for one of the businesses we are working with and they have 3 methods by which they collect leads from their site:

1. Contact us page
2. Schedule an appointment
3. Download coupon

When we first started working with them, they only had the 1st 2 options. After one year of measuring the stats in Aweber, we have seen the following:

Contact us: 119 leads
Schedule appointment: 110 leads
Coupon: 1645 leads

This means that nearly 88% of his leads are coming from the coupon.

Most websites seem to only include a phone number or email as the only method with which to interact with the business.

The key is to offer something of value to your visitors, that does not cost you much but is attractive to your prospects. Then, you need to collect the name and email of anyone requesting this information. That way you can follow-up with an autoresponder.

To internet marketers generally, this is pretty basic stuff, but I see a lot of websites that don't take advantage of this marketing technique.

Be interested in comments from others, especially any statistics that others can share for this type of idea.

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:18 PM   #2
MadAdvice

It does sound like a good idea, but you mention that it is not common practice and so I have to wonder why it is not done more often.

One downside I can think of is that you are giving discounts to people who would have made a purchase at the business anyway. You can't really track that lost money unfortunately.

MadAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
smallbizmkter

I see your point about the coupons. It does not have to be a coupon based incentive, it just happened that for this particular industry, coupons are almost expected (bit like pizza industry).

Other ways to do this are downloadable reports, guides, advice, videos, etc. - anything that is of potential value to your prospects.

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

Similarly, having an email newsletter (monthly, weekly, whatever) that leads can sign up for on your website is a really a no-brainer. Offer a free report or other give-away to get people to sign up. The newsletter may seem like a lot of work, but it doesn't have to be... could just be product updates, summaries and links to any new content on the site, etc. Not only allows the small business to build a valuable list, but also allows them to maintain an ongoing relationship with those prospects.

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Marykate

Didn't realize that coupons could be such a good incentive - 88%! That's what I'm talkin about!

Marykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
DebraE

I am now going to look at coupons for my site, thanks for sharing the informtion smallbizmkter

DebraE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
supplyjerseys12

Good idea to generate more leads and more business. I'll try it.

supplyjerseys12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:11 AM   #8
mikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplyjerseys12 View Post
Good idea to generate more leads and more business. I'll try it.
Yes, give it a try...

Not only this, you can even give away something for free and get leads from them. Most of the people who are searching on the internet look something for free, so you can use this "giving away for free" strategy to build your leads. Still there are many more internet marketing strategies which helps you in getting leads . . .

Cheers
Mike.

mikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
debbystewart

Oh wow. Thanks for the tip. Coupons are an excellent idea.
The Contact Us option is a no brainer. I don't know any website who does not have a Contact Us page.

debbystewart is offline   Reply With Quote